Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Automatic scraper not working properly in one passage

Options
  • 17-04-2022 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭

Hi guys. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of these things. I have Dairymaster automatic scrapers in 3 passages in shed. One of the scrapers in one passage will only work for about a minute and then cuts out. Its like this on the manual and the timed (auto ) switch. The other two passages are working fine. Though it was the solenoid park switch , so disconnected it and no joy. So don't know. Any thoughts.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

More than likely the sensor that stops it when it returns to base point. It will be just behind the bar that the actual Scraper pushes Back. They are about €40 and can be fitted DIY if you just take a photo of the wiring when removing the old one and rewire it the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭cjpm

Grueller is correct. That sensor is ignored by the scraper controller for the first minute while the scrapers are getting started. Once the minute is up the scraper will shut off if it’s faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibaba

Grueller - cjpm , Thanks guys for your help. I was thinking it must be something along that lines alright. I'll try and fit a new one tomorrow when I'll be able to get one when the shops open.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Your local tech should have an on call service today to cover the likes of this. I'd call him anyway. Stones of a job hand scraping when it's down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

If it is cutting out after a minute does it not mean that the sensor is working? The sensor works by a magnet sending a current to the sensor, so could something have been magnetised and is sitting near the sensor? Normally when those sensors fail it means the scraper won't knock off.

Just realised after typing it that after typing that it was a Dairymaster and not Dairypower. Is it possible to disconnect the sensor and then run the scraper? That would isolate your problem to the sensor. I got sensors off rs components for a fraction of the cost they were from Dairypower, you might be able to get the same sensor if you can find a number on it.

• Advertisement

Thanks timple23. I disconnected the sensor and it hasn't made any difference. Still only works for a minute and then cuts out. I'll try and speak to somebody tomorrow to get to the root of it. I should be able to replace that sensor myself anyway - simple enough job.

I'm not too bad as haven't many cattle in the shed so could afford to wait till Tuesday. Sick of the hand scraping alright though. Anyway green green grass here we come soon 😃

Thanks timple23 for the tip about rs components. Haven't heard of them before. They seem to carry everything in the line of that stuff. I might be able to get a part number and see if they'd have it , if that's the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭alps

The scrapers are very easy to pull with a quad. Simple easy solution if they stop working for any reason..(if you have a quad)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭alps

What is the widest scraper you can have on one track.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I have a 22' on 1 track but I think its too wide. It would probably work fine if not feeding silage off the passage but I am and the odd time it gets lifted slightly off the track if silage gets caught against the wing. I could take off the wing but it would leave a nice bit behind I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Could you not have run it for a series of 1 minute runs. It would've been easier than hand scraping no?

Yeah I did that too. Bit of a pain in the neck though but better than hand scraping alright. Might not be the best though on and off every minute.

Anyway all fixed now. Thanks to everybody for your help. Sensor was the problem alright.

Alps : Have no quad but as I say all is good now.

Might be no bad idea having a spare sensor as these things always seem to happen at the weekends / Christmas etc 🙄🙄😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Is the sensor the complete cut off switch or is it located somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭jaymla627

You can wire the dairy master to stay on constant when the sensors fail, that's a regular occurrence their a balls of a design unless you have the sensor unit out of the shed where it's not coming into contact with slurry and cow traffic

But if you bypass the sensor they won’t work on auto? Is the sensor the complete cut off switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Lorne Armstrong

Did you check the circuit board for scraper??? Water or dampness can get in to them and corroded it.

No it’s not the circuit board as it’s only one of three scrapers on the same board that’s acting up.

It was the circuit board on the scraper. They’re different to my scrapers that don’t not have a circuit board on the actual scraper.

Advertisement