Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No religious Good Fri prog on RTE Radio 1

Options
  • 15-04-2022 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭

It has probably been the case over the past few years, but I observed today that RTE Radio 1 did not mark Good Friday with a religious / reflection programme for Good Friday. It would've been the norm to broadcast a mass or something on Good Friday.

Over on BBC Radio 2, they had a 2 hour reflections and religious music, in fast paced slots they usually would be playing oldies.

Are RTE too scared to offend anyone by marking Good Friday on radio ?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Country has moved on, audience demand isn't there for it. Its just another day these days.

They mark other christian events so, no, its not anything to do with being scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭Tork

They had something called The Universal Mass with JJ O'Shea on instead of Liveline. I can't find anything about it online but maybe it was something to mark the day? I don't think RTE radio has broadcast Sunday mass in years though I stand open to correction on that.

Looking at RTE1's TV schedule, they had a ceremony today from Carlow cathedral. Tomorrow night they'll have an Easter vigil mass. On Easter Sunday, the morning will be taken up with another mass, a methodist ceremony and Urbi et Orbi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭GSF

Rte radio 1 extra - all the mass you could wish for

• Registered Users Posts: 81,276 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Smithsonian channel has "The Real Jesus Of Nazereth" on from 4pm until 8pm today if anyone needs a fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Very true. I've known I was atheist since I was about 10 or 11 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭Tork

You're not wrong! It isn't a station I've ever checked out but I see they have Easter ceremonies on there.

Two things have changed a lot. One, as already mentioned, is that the audience has moved on. Secondly, the options for people who want to see and hear religious programming have expanded hugely. I have elderly relatives who watch mass (and funerals!) in their local church on their smartphones or tablets. That is probably of more value to them because they feel more of a connection to the local priest and the people getting up to do readings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

My original post was comparing RTE Radio 1 here, to BBC Radio 2 in the UK - who had a 2 hour programme to mark Good Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

• Registered Users Posts: 15,790 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Good. Time to move on from the Fr Ted stereotype of a country.

Like was posted above, most religious minded will connect to their local service stream these days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement