Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin hotel/accommodation prices

• 01-04-2022 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Been a noticeable jump in recent weeks, now extremely difficult to get one under 200 euros especially for the weekend.

Previously budget accommodation, BnBs, low star hotels etc could be got for 70 euro to 90 euro in many areas Inc around Gardiner Street and city centre.

Supposedly many of these places have been block booked for Ukrainians and other refugees by Government, can anyone confirm?

Think this issue will become a big problem for tourism and people going to gigs and matches in Dublin for the foreseeable. 200 euro for a bed for the night is not affordable for most people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I'm trying to book weekend trip to Amsterdam for myself and herself and its the same prices as Dublin. We are not in a bubble

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

amsterdam has always been expensive enough for accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Youd need your head examined paying that for an average hotel in dublin... and I live there...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,766 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I would imagine that in the short-term at least, every spare bed and room is being hoovered up to accommodate Ukrainian refugees. They're already talking about running out of those options and resorting to the likes of Citywest and Gormanstown.

How long that will last is anyone's guess.

But if an accommodation owner is offered a guaranteed term contract, they'd be mad not to take it, so I'd expect there to be a severe shortage of hotel/b&b beds for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭elizunia87

Heading to Chania, Greece for Easter (3 nights) double bed sea view 140euro. Pitty as i could spend nice time in ireland.

• Advertisement

You do know that Irish accommodation costs are never, ever going to compete with those of a Greek island?

I know its a pitty

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

I’ve always enjoyed a night out in Dublin once a month or so, and pre-pandemic you were looking at €90-130 on your typical Friday night for a room in the city centre which was grand. Saturdays were always out of the question as they were around €180+ on average. Sundays were always the cheapest under €100. Anyway point being, Dublin has always been pricey, but you knew which nights were “affordable”.

Now I’ve been looking on booking.com for the next month or so and every night is €200+ on average! This is lunacy. I did a google search to see if there were articles about the sudden extortionate prices and surprisingly nothing at all showed up. I thought this would be a big news story. Obviously people are paying these prices if they are able to get away with charging such eye watering amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭pcardin

noticed myself. very little to nothing cheaper than 200+. Some hotels even heading the cuckoo zone by asking between 790 and 1000e for a night, most eco-class averaging well over 300e per night and breakfast is not even included. Ok, I understand that love for money is perhaps a part of mentality, but ffs, its rainy cold Ireland, not a dream holiday destination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

As others have pointed out Dublin is gone beyond a joke, its going to hit tourism hard as the Europeans are very price savvy and Americans just won't come. Dublin was always expensive but it has catapulted into the twilight zone now. Like others I'd like the odd night or two a month to meet friends and me and a mate had the exact same conversation today, himself and his woman rendevous in Birmingham, Manchester or Leeds etc instead now for the aul dirty weekend, cheap travellodge, premier inn etc. ryanair back and forth, afforable booze and grub and the duty free they bring home they then flog it to colleagues for enough profit which then nearly covers their total costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Same as pubs

Harder to get staff

Have to pay staff more to attract them from other companies etc

Cost goes up then price goes up.

Plus a lot of hotel have huge debts after covid and need to pay them off

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Breifne Blue

I totally agree, and it seems like the media are not reporting this huge increase in costs in case people question the big numbers of Refugees in hotels and Bnbs.

I have asked around and this issue is basically nationwide now in Hotels and BnBs, the Government basically stated this week they have maxed out Hotels block booking for Ukrainians accommodation and it still nowhere near enough.

In Dublin it has become very apparent though as virtually all Hotel or BnB prices have nearly doubled in price in a matter of months!

I wonder when our ruling class or even board Failte and the Tourism crowd will wake up to this slow moving disaster.

Dublin is going to have drastically lower visitors especially from elsewhere in Ireland and virtually anyone but very rich tourists.

I wonder will Music Promoters, GAA, Aviva Stadium, FAI, IRFU etc and all the big event promoters have it hit their bottom line?

Ed Sheeran is playing in Croke Park twice next weekend, those attendees will be stranded or utterly ripped off. And then the 5 Garth Brooks gigs.

Al it will take is literally 1 big enough event to eliminate all accommodation for a day or 2 in Dublin

I don't have sympathy for the Hotels many of them have been totally propped up by the State as Covid vaccination and test centres, with asylum seekers and now Ukrainian refugees.

That's on top of absolutely ripping off customers on Dublin and all of Ireland

To own a Hotel in Ireland is to hit the jackpot. Probably why most are owned by international funds they smelt the easy money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭vegandinner

Looking online I don’t see many Western European capitals offering much below €200 per night.

I’ve seen prices go up a lot lately. I travel once a month to Barcelona and my usual hotel has gone from €150 per night to €250.

prices going up everywhere. That said Dublin is still overpriced

Americans will still come in large numbers. The dollar is strong, quite possibly will go through parity against the Euro in coming weeks, and the costs of holiday accommodation in the USA have become equally as eye watering, post Covid.

and Dublin is not alone in Europe. It seems everywhere has just gone insane (though Dublin remains, as it always was, overpriced relative to other European capitals)

the days of regular cheap overseas short breaks are in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Feel free to buy a hotel and run it and then see what profit there is.

Very few were covid vaccination centres - maybe 4 or 5 in the entire country. Asylum seekers do take up some space in the lower price hotels and Ukraine is an emergency and numbers have slowed due to the relative peace in western Ukraine. Some are actually returning. It will however see a lot more determination to build more homes and look at alternatives especially modular homes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Not this year as Ireland is still designated as a high risk COVID country in the US (along with the likes of Germany). I think that is why we won't see great numbers of US tourists this year more than the cost of hotel rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,649 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Budget accommodation could be got for €70… and your complaint is that hotels are charging €200? Why would hotels be offering rooms at budget accommodation prices when they know there are people willing to pay €200 a night for a hotel room?

It’s entirely up to people themselves if they wish to stay in Gardiner St. standard accommodation, but I’d sooner think THEY were getting fleeced paying €70 for it, than people willing to pay €200 for a proper hotel room for the night.

Hotel rooms were never affordable for most people, that’s kinda the point of their existence, they offer a higher standard of accommodation than bnbs and hostels. I don’t foresee there being any trouble for tourism other than the tourism industry is struggling to find staff willing to work for peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

"Hotel rooms were never affordable for most people, that’s kinda the point of their existence,"

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,649 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

They’re a luxury that aren’t meant to be affordable to most people. If hotels aimed to be affordable to most people, they’d be offering the same standard of accommodation as hostels.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

Dublin is more expensive than Norway, and that's saying a lot ..

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭john123470

Air bnbs have fecked it up for everyone. Everywhere. More monies to be made renting out your pad for £2000++ per month.

Many will dig up a dead relative and rent you out the coffin for £70+ per day.

The way of all flesh.

Air bnb prices have leapt 35% compared to pre-pandemic. So long as folks are willing / able to pay these prices, then it will continue

Advertisement