Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old pasture query - Advice required

• 15-04-2022 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Hi, I recently bought about 10 acres which has a heavy grass cover as it wasn't grazed/cut last year. Dry, level land. Options I'd value your input on:

1. Mulch and let it rot

2. Graze it bare with sheep(I don't have them but could rent it I guess)

3. Let fresh grass grow a bit more and sell for bales to knowing buyer (they know its combo of old and new grass). They cut and bale. What would I charge per bale?

4. Other

I'm leaving towards 1 with fertiliser prices but will matt of grass post mulch cause weeds. Option 3 giving away nutrients so hence price of bale...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

With the cost of making bakes don’t let it grow through again and make rubbish bales, you’ll loose money for sure.

mulching works well, no idea of current costs though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭893bet

Mulching won’t case weeds? and you will get use of the land this year at least. But will cost a little.

If you rent it a single year you will be liable for tax on the rent and who knows what way you will get it back next year. Poached and stripped of fertility as the lads takes two cuts of bales off it and give it nothing back?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Grazing as best you can would be my preferred option.

Is it fenced for sheep? If not, then they’ll just jump the ditch and go into the neighbours as soon as they’ve eaten the leaves off the grass. They won’t graze it down much unless they’re forced to. But what kind of sheep have you in mind? Ewes rearing lambs need plenty good grass. Same with store lambs. Neither group with thrive on stemmy old pasture.

Do you have any 1-2 year old cattle or sucklers with calves at foot? They’d be easier to fence in and not as fussy as the sheep.

You could also broadcast rape or kale on it if it was well grazed in August. It should grow among the grass if you get a good strike. Put weanlings on it for Nov and Dec, and then reseed next April. This might work too if you mulched it but depends on the timing.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Omallep2

I can rent a mulcher for 100 at wend and do the lot myself. Another 100 on diesel max. Prob the way to go and soil sample and its of use later in the summer. Agreed?

I was worried grass sitting on top post mulch might be bad idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The worry with ungrazed land is red water. It might be ok, or it might be a catastrophe

Post edited by _Brian on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Stick the grazing of it with sheep or cattle up on donedeal.ie, limited number of weeks to clean it out & they must fence whatever in well first.

Small fee or free seeing it could be chancy pasture, at least this way, costs you nothing & grass will start growing accordingly as it's been grazed .

Depending on where you are, could be lots of takers this time of year.

Otherwise option 3, asap & you'll get 2 cuts of it later in season if weather plays ball.

Advertisement