Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving fencing posts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Yea it's two steps up from a sledge hammer.

You won't damage the ends of the stake like a sledge will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

If you can bear to watch this fellow for the low down on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭893bet

I use the loader on the tractor with bucket and 7 or 8 blocks in it for extra weight. A lot of our ground is soft to rarely find trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Get your post in situ (lying along the ditch) and get a lad in with a tractor and post driver. If you’ve any number of posts to drive this is the only option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Or just get someone in to do the complete job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Maybe a cordless drill with long mason bit... If you have electric tractor you can charge drill on-site...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

OP the rammer you've linked to are known as a "man killer" for a reason. I've one of them and tbh it has a very easy life, there a hoor of a thing in my opinion and on similar footing to a sledge. I bought an aluminium headed mallet and it's my go to for manually driving posts. I'm useless at linking things but perhaps someone else could oblige.

It's much better balanced than a sledge and has a bigger surface area to aid accuracy and prevent damaging the head of the posts. I think I paid circa €70 for mine but I could be wrong. I'll stop short of saying I look forward to using it but I'd have it a thousand times over compared to a sledge or a rammer.

The only benefit of the rammer over a mallet is you can direct the post back to plumb as you've driving it. Obviously trying to hold the post with one hand and swing the mallet with the other isn't ideal but if you bore a good depth of a pilot hole it shouldn't be an issue. Any time I've used the rammer for prolonged periods I've had pains in my shoulders, arms, elbows ect from the vibration and impact. The only issue I have with the mallet is fatigue, there's a big difference in holding a piece of piping and a hickory handle.

Much better than sledge IMO. The big aluminium mallet type sledge isn't bad either.

On the man killer, be careful. There comes a point while driving the post where the lip of the driver can get hung up on the top of the post, resulting in a collision with your head, it hurts, a lot.

There's a knack to using them, letting go on the way down which helps stress on the body.

Second thing, wear ear defenders of some sort, they're friggin loud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭JoeCasey

Power down on the loader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Use the loader bucket here as well if ground is soft, but have to use cro bar and sledge as well. Had the mallet for a bit but find the 14lb sledge better. Heavier but just focus on the swing and its fine. Lighter sledge and you end up forcing the swing.

Agree above if a big job hire in a post driver and you'd be much better off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

This is what I do. Even one step further if you have a young fella that can drive the tractor have him along as well. With three people and a tractor and posts laid out you will drive 25-30/hour.

This happend to me. Lip of drive got caught on top of pole and the driver hit me on the forehead. Was seeing stars for 5-10 minutes.

It was a Saturday Nd in the pub that night when anyone asked how I got the circular cut I said herself hit me with the frying pan. She was not impressed

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,217 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You can have two people work those hand held post drivers. It makes short work of driving them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

They are definitely more efficient when two people are using them. O ly issue is if there is a substantial height difference between them.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Or one grab the top part of the bars and the smaller one grab the bottom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭tanko

Sure you could get Melania and Ivanka to work the post driver for you, no bother to them i’d say.

Melania would be well used to it from her days growing up in Slovenia.

Ivanka, well I'd make her do it just so I could stand behind her and watch her work up a sweat.

The only issue is that I'd then be facing Melania and she'd be giving me the evil eye as she always does whenever I'm eye'ing up Ivanka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Would Donald be sitting in the stands watching...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭arctictree

Have had a rammer here for a long time and rarely gets used. Any decent job needs a tractor and post driver as the ground around here is quite hard. The rammer is handy for narrow posts on a small job. Forget about it for end/strainer posts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement