Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

• 14-04-2022 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,508 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

If Elon Musk buys Twitter that Clown Trump will be back on it as Elon Musk is a supporter of him. That is not good.

I will admit Elon Musk has done some great things like Tesla and Space X but am not a fan of how he goes about things or that he supports that Clown Trump.

I really hope for all out sakes that Twitter do not sell to him but with the offer he has made them it's likely the loss making platform will sell to him.

What does everyone here think of this?

Are you a supporter of Musk?

Threadbans

raind

RobbieTheRobber

namloc1980

eskimohunt

Brutestock

TonesJones

Tell me how

Overheal

Burty330

.Donegal.

clampedusa

erlichbachman

Cordell

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Twitter is toxic.

Far worse than The Facebuke. I’d love to see Twitter disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,508 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Agreed totally. I have tried it three times and failed twice the third time I am still on it but never even use it. It makes no sense. It is a mess.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

You are better off away from it.

My opinion of Musk has improved in the last few years. He is an Uber troll. His pump and dump schemes in crypto are funny to watch as a bystander.

Still comes out with a lot of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,186 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Usually one might say "I'm not buying what he is selling".

In this case "I'm not buying what he is buying".

Twitter is full of people who couldn't sustain an argument if you paid them.

A haven for hit and run merchants.

(I'm not on it but I look at links from here sometimes)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Musk has a desperate need to be in the press…this is just the latest in a long line

Cant have a war on the front pages so Musk comes up with this to get himself back into the media

i am still waiting for him to get arrested for the messing with crypto currency

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

You're not being forced to use it, musk has zero bearing on anything that happens in my life, apart from commenting on this thread

You started a thread to get peoples opinion about Twitter because you don't use Twitter and you don't want someone to buy Twitter because another person you don't like will be allowed back on Twitter.

Seems like you think too much about Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It's nonsense. He hasn't detailed how he will fund it and he's come straight out the blocks with a final and best offer. As things stand he can't change the board until 2023. It's a publicity stunt, he is just going to pump and dump his stock like the charlatan that he is. And if he was serious about charging for the service, they would lose their vast network of users(which is the only asset the company really has) at an exponential rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

I thought he was recently solving world hunger? How he get on with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Twitter and Facebook are two cheeks of the same arse. If this move alienates the wokerati then I support it (in the same way I support the terminal decline of Facebook with a its right wing and conspiracy theory/fake news nonsense).

Twitter is a private company anyway, it is not a media publication so I don't see why people would get so antsy about Musk unless they themselves are fearful of losing their platform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

He wasn't serious. The $3 a month charge so everybody can have a blue checkmark was a joke.

Ms

Actually I think about it very little and I never asked for anyone's opinion on Twitter. I asked what do they think about Elon Musk buying it. I even forget I have it on my phone lol unless a link comes up here in some of the forums I am following or it's in the news like today.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Might have read you wrong so mate. No offense intended but it just seems an odd thing to start a thread about if you don't use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Twitter: people who love to hear themselves speak, giving advice to the rest of the world who don’t care.

Ms

I just do not want that Orange Baffoon Trump getting back into power in America ever again and if Elon Musk does buy Twitter it might just happen which should worry us all.

Once with that Clown was enough.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Can I start a thread on heroin? I have never used it but I should be allowed start a thread if I wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Twitter is fine if you only interact with people you know well. Replying to strangers especially about controversial topics can be a recipe for disaster and I never do it.

I think one of Twitter's biggest problems for user experience is contextualising the results of trending words. For example, 'luas' sometimes trends in Ireland but when I click it from the trending page, I often see posts from another language (I think from India) because 'luas' is a common word in that language. That's obviously is not why that word was trending in Ireland.

Another more severe example recently is when I clicked 'circle k' which was trending in Ireland because of the fuel prices and was shown a clip of some disgusting creep licking the toilet seat in a circle k bathroom.

Go for it. You have my blessing for what it is worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

So you agree you don't need to have first hand experience to start or comment on a thread?

Why did you not direct your reply at the poster who said this?

Correct.

The poster doesn’t need to be told, they clearly know since the poster created the thread… they didn’t need to ask could they create the thread. They just went ahead and did it.

But you seemed to be unclear on it, so I tried to assist you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I'm not a fan boy but I have to correct you on that, he called out the UN for saying $6 billion would solve it, oh yeah and by the way he donated 5.7 billion shortly after https://fortune.com/2022/02/15/elon-musk-5-7-billion-donation-weeks-after-asking-un-world-hunger/

Why would any charity want to ‘solve’ the issue they were setup to address? It would be like turkeys voting for Christmas.

Charity is an industry. It is in their interest to keep the issue ‘ticking over’ so they can continue to exist and employ the charity staff which is they reason for a charity to exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Once with that Clown was enough.

Is that you Melania?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭animalinside

I have exactly the inverse opinion of you - I think Musk has promised far more than he has ever delivered, lost many millions of investors' money and runs on a kind of culty basis.

On the other hand, I think allowing Trump back on would be a great step in the right direction - note that I don't like Trump, I just don't think it's reasonable for him to be banned.

A lot more importantly is how it would make Twitter a lot more relevant again. Twitter has been declining for years and there was a time not long ago when it looked like it might fall off a cliff and be completely abandoned by the mainstream, thankfully that did not happen. I love twitter and hope it to continue in the future, Musk would breathe a lot of new life into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

$43 Billion is f*cking vulgar.

Far too much money. Whatever about the platform and the people that use it, for that money they should be able to police it properly.

Getting away with something because somebody used their platform as a tool should not be an excuse, they should be held to account and not allowed any protections from liability. They should also have to pay for any licences similar to the link tax, although I am not sure I agree with that actual one, but for special exceptions, and itself policed also.

Plagiarism. For God sake....... I'm not even referring to actual plagiarism. I know very little about twitter, but the links I get sent in groups from that or Tiktok seems to be people stealing other peoples jokes or skits and again and again... We get it! We thought it was funny too, and got it the first time, but I don't want to make a video of me miming to it, or type out the same joke and pretend it's mine... 😡

There are so many charges they should be facing if something like that is worth $43 Billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,515 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Relevant to remind folks, why a company that sells no product and doesn't take a penny of your money, makes such ludicrous amounts of money on Wall Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Op...you're in favour of free speech then, except when you're not?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Putins account still active apparently, just limited

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So this thread is more about the OP not liking Trump than anything to do with Musk or Twitter.

What is it in this country with the obsession over these 3 things? We don't live in America, Trump - like him or loathe him - isn't president anymore and Musk just strikes me as another overpaid celeb with a gimmick.

As for Twitter itself, if it shut down in the morning I think society as a whole would be better off, but I generally ignore all 3 so who cares. If Musk wants to spend a ridiculous amount of money on it that's his business.

The one thing I do take issue with is the OPs concern that someone they don't like doesn't get back on the platform. That sort of control of a narrative is dangerous for the concept of free speech and democracy.

Advertisement