Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What you need to put in classified ads now to get rid of complete wasters

• 15-04-2022 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,015 ✭✭✭✭
    M

More and more you get the fool calling you or arriving to view your car who really doesn't have a clue as to how things need to be done for what should be a simple transaction, I think additional info is needed in the ad to weed out the fools. So here's my additional notes I will put in my next ad, any additions welcome 😁...

• Bring an actual mechanic, not your mate who watched a few episodes of Top Gear as a teen.
    • Don't arrive with half a football team to view the car, one person and yourself is plenty.
    • The ad is not a live auction, no bids accepted over the phone or via text.
    • If you don't have actual access to the asking price of the car don't bother me like you do.
    • Don't ask me about insurance quotes, you and me are chalk and cheese.
    • If you want to talk about the car's mpg then possibly owning a car is not for you.
    • I don't have time to talk about the good or bad old days when cars were cars.
    • For payment I will only accept Series II €50 notes in very good condition, nothing that looks like it fell out of your arse this morning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

All excellent suggestions... if you DON'T want to sell your car.

You'll get your quota of time-wasters whatever you're selling, not just cars. It's your job to weed out the clowns when they phone you, before you meet them.

A good way of attracting fools, as you call them, is by going ahead and posting an advert that makes you sound like a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭teediddlyeye

This.

The more waffle on an ad the more likely the seller is the timewaster.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users Posts: 18,849 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

That list will weed out the genuine buyers, time wasters don't read the ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

If you want to talk about the car's mpg then possibly owning a car is not for you.

I'd always asked this, not so much that I was interested in the figure but more of a gauge of the seller, anyone who is looking after the car correctly will have an idea of what kind of mpg it does and can be a sign (not always!) of how the car was looked after and driven?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

Absolutely.

These sellers can often omit important info like mileage, the bhp if the car has model has a few options (Audi), and if the number plate isn't shown along with the seller putting up bad pictures, you don't know if it has an NCT, is manual or automatic etc.

If I was a time waster these would be the ads I'd target. Last year I was looking to buy a camper and ads were full of nonsense and pathetic bs like ops post and the most basic info wouldn't be on the ads. You skip the ads and buy one from a decent seller while these clowns still are readvertising, however they do seem to get the message and reduce the bs after a few months.

Also the more worthless the car, the more important the clown selling it, thinks he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Does ‘No timewasters please.’ not work anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,377 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I listen to all General Keane’s updates as they are factually spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Is the ship still for sale?

Will swap a mk IV golf. With the red i

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Is it just me that read the OP as tongue in cheek.

And thus i don't think hes proposing to put that stuff in a serious for sale ad.

I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭zg3409

Sold...no they won't read that either.

What I like to see is lots of photos including photos of dents and rust, when car can be viewed, how to contact seller, if price is negotiable, town where car is located, etc. No texts is one thing that might help, but wasters will still waste your time.

I generally will not give the people the address unless they are actually leaving to view a car, otherwise you may be hanging around all day for a no show.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,015 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes I'm still open to the texts, I know you will get probably 50% of the texts a waste of time but my last 2 cars I've sold the initial contact has started over text and the buyers then called and came out to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,171 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Never worked.

They don't self identify as time wasters.

Advertisement