Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charges for dropoff and collect to be imposed in Dublin airport

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I never said it did. Take your head out of your pannier for just a second and reread my post.

steady on. my point being that - on the face of it - there doesn't need to be provision of services specifically for drivers with disabilities in this instance, as they do not need to leave the car so their disability is moot.

if it's a passenger with a disability being dropped off, that'd obviously be different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,436 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

you read up on the DAA proposal, you’ll see they made provision for blue badge holders. For others who don’t have or don’t like the alternatives, they pay a small fee.

Why does it matter how much drivers pay to run their cars? That’s their choice, their privilege.

The additional fee is a drop in the ocean in the overall running costs of a car, and in the overall costs of a trip. Get over yourself and pay for the facilities that you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Margaret Clarke

Again. I’m asking if it’s open to being abused. Can you not read?

Not liking the alternative is one thing.

Not having it is another kettle of fish.

Out of curiosity, what fee would you consider reasonable?

Or more specifically, at what stage would you consider the fee to be “unreasonable”? €20? €50? €100?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭feelings

Cllr Joe Newman objected - fair play to him. And Senator Emer Currie added a supporting submission in objection to grant of permission. Fair play to the two of them, seeing exactly what this is... a money grabbing exercise by DAA. Sustainability my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Which is fine, except DAA said they were introducing it for environmental reasons. That bit is clearly nonsense if, as you suggest, people drive anyway.

It is about money. 100% about increasing revenue

Makes it a bit of a nonsense to be complaining about the cost if people are going to drive anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭SteM

I don't understand what you mean by not having an alternative? If this goes ahead there will be an alternative provided. You will be able to drop off/pick up in the red carpark. It may not be an alternative you're happy with but it will be there. The fee for Heathrow is £5 minimum, anything above €5 for Dublin Airport would be unreasonable imo.

As discussed earlier. For early flights, driving is the only option. I’m not going around in circles on this again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,793 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Around 500 flights on average depart and land at Dublin airport each day…

dozens of ground support vehicles many of a let’s say, certain vintage belching out copious amounts of exhaust fumes..

Aircraft sitting on stand running their APU when no ground power available or they don’t want to use it.

hundreds of more buses depart and arrive per day…

car journeys to and from the airport absolutely pale in significance to the issues caused to the environment as above…

And what about the 90% of Dublin who don’t live close to that route?

I want to take public transport to the airport. I can’t. Just like the vast, vast majority of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,567 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You are familiar with Dublin ?

You have linked to the route of that excellent service.

You know that is not the answer to the transport needs of large parts of Dublin.

• Advertisement

Did you look at their other routes, some 24 hour, some 20 hour? Did you look at the other bus companies , like Bus Eireann, JJ Kavanagh, Dublin Express. The airport is the busiest bus terminal in the country.

But if it doesn’t work for you, you can still drive, and drop off for free at the red car park, or for a small cost at the terminal.

No public transport is available for me to catch an early flight. How many times do people have to point this out to you?

I’ve quoted my original post there to show how we go round and round with you.

Grand so, as stated above:

But if it doesn’t work for you, you can still drive, and drop off for free at the red car park, or for a small cost at the terminal.

Just a suggestion as there seems to be an impasse here with little hope of agreement.

What if there was a free drop off up to say 9.00am to allow for the lack of public transport?

And what percentage of the users of Dublin airport have access to such 24/7 routes?

Even big chunks of Dublin are without adequate public transport. Particularly Fingal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

There is a hint of sarcasm in my comment as i have no choice but drive so i be going to car park anyway... of course nits about money and if people are allow enough time do drop off for say €2 it might help people hanging around... €5 is way too much for drop-off...

Let me try it a 3rd time;

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

13 pages in, and among all the arguments for and against using public transport (effectively buses and coaches for now) no one that I can remember has commented that the present "facilities" for the people that can use the bus servcices at Dublin Airport are not fit for purpose.

There's limited displays that give details of which stop serves which service, and also limited displays of real time service information, and even worse, there's NO facilities to allow passengers to wait for maybe an hour or more in somewhere that's at least warm and dry, the supposed shelters at some of the stops are more suited to a tropical island that to the sort of weather that's common at the airport, and given how short a dwell time some of the buses are at the stop, the waiting area needs to be close to the stops, to allow for passengers to be able to get to the stop in a timely manner.

The other issue that's being conveniently forgotten about is that DAA already gets a significant fee for every passenger that's going out of the airport, as they charge the airline for the service, and that's where the problem arises, the airlines are not willing to pay more for the services they get, and the regulator has put a cap on the fee that the airport can charge, so the airport are effectively now looking to become creative in how they generate additional revenue.

There is a possible case to be made that as incoming passengers are not as such charged fees, there is possibly a case for fees in that aspect of the system, but the other side of the coin is that DAA actually provides very little for incoming passengers, they've made it impossible to pick passengers up from arrivals, hence the ongoing issues with the departure road being blocked by cars (often taxis) waiting for arrivals. That said, there's very few passengers arriving that don't then depart at a later date, so DAA are getting fees from them at some point in the cycle.

The unfortunate reality is that the total lack of real engagement from Government in providing a decent 24 hour public service access to the airport is now coming home to haunt them, there's been talk for a quarter of a century of providing a rail link, but it's all hot air, and no substance.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Your relentlessly out of touch take on the matter makes it difficult to take the quoted sentiment seriously. The level of tone-deafness is akin to the time Stephen Colbert said gas price increases didn't affect him because he drives a Tesla. Meanwhile, down on Earth, the average Joe can't afford one.

First off, people who live out in the sticks where Airport Transport is more sparse do so because living in Dublin is very unafforable. With build-to-rent schemes becoming more mainstream, this is likely going to get worse.

Second off, the frequency of buses on some routes is laughably low and doesn't offer would-be vacationers that much flexibility where they could be arriving at the airport many hours before they take off. The resultant long drawn out wait would be very stressful.

Third off, being offered a lift to the airport also provides emotional support to passengers by friends, parents or other close relations who could be feeling very anxious about their trip.

There are dozens of other reasons for driving people to the airport. However, I thought the aforementioned points would add a reality check to the argument.

Yet, you still want motorists financially penalized for making the prospect of travelling abroad less stressful?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The level of tone-deafness is akin to the time Stephen Colbert said gas price increases didn't affect him because he drives a Tesla.

you know that was a joke?

How much do you think the drop off charge will be as a percentage of their overall trip budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Up at the airport recently and the "Drop off" area outside Terminal 1 was more akin to a Roman chariot race, with people diving into any free spot of land barely wide enough for a car, many all stacked up 4 wide and those closest to the kerb looking like they'd been there a while waiting to pick someone up...

I think the DAA and Airport police have given up on trying to keep that area in some sort of order..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

Cost of parking at Dublin Airport climbs dramatically (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cost-of-parking-at-dublin-airport-climbs-dramatically-1.4860615

They really are an absolute shower of pure chances.

An absolute disagree, so even if you park now in their car park and not get dropped off they will rip you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭wangchung

I wonder what the local politicians in power feel about this proposed charge? They are keeping very quiet. Darragh O'Brien, Joe O'Brien and Alan Farrell seem to be dodging the issue and not stating their position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

But you can get dropped off in the red car park and take a free shuttle bus to the terminal, which takes under 10 minutes?

Have these drop-off charges actually been brought in yet, or are they still just proposals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

When does this kick in? I often have to collect people as I live about a 15 min drive away from the airport. Last time I flew myself I cycled up and locked the bike in T1 car park, I'll do it next time too, I just use a big enough backpack as my carry on.

It feels great being able to do that and not having to pay 20 quid for a taxi home, or taking the bus to Beaumont and then walking for 30 mins which I've done before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

What bus service do I get from Skerries? Rush? Lusk? Balbriggan??

so it gets the go ahead…like it was ever not going to.

id consider myself reasonably well traveled with experience of connecting to my destination at various cities from various airports in the EU and further afield, yet I can only think of a single airport, that compares with Dublin, for the abjectly piss poor, public transport options….

severely limited public transport routes, inefficient, poorly connected, poorly timetabled… but when you need to drive, or be driven, which I more or less do, unless I involve myself into serious levels of hardship and inconvenience…..their hand gets put out. A sham decision….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Fine so, lets all just block up the main approach roads for drop offs until they cop the **** on to life.

Not to mention arriving in on a wet windy night standing freezing in a filthy bus shelter among the cigarette butts and spilled coffees.

That's when you know you are home 🏡

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

It will only be €1 or €2 to drive in, a tiny amount in the overall cost of car ownership, relax the cacks will ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

He's right.

Motorists already avoid toll roads rather than having to pay €1/2. And those roads offer much better value for money.

They'll just stop outside the barrier and clog up the surrounding roads.

Or better still, just fly less often. That’ll really stick it to the green libs.

We should make it mandatory for motorists to use motorways where available. We spend all this money building them, it’s the least they could do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭SeanW

Which motorways are you referring to? Motorways built by PPP consortia were financed by them to be paid for by toll revenue.

Not sure what this has to do with anything BTW.

We should make it mandatory for cyclists to use cycle lanes where available. We spend all this money building them, it's the least they could do.

It doesn’t matter… because it’s still gouging. If you were charged a tenner for a pint in the bar, that would be gouging too.

asking “ how much do think the pint would be as a percentage of their / your overall trip budget ? “ not relevant , it’s still gouging…

its not going to help the environment. Not until relevant efficient, comfortable and far reaching public transport infrastructure is available.

Just means people will be making the same trips and gouged for the privilege…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Should I also say that families who have kids should pay me because they get a government's support from my tax? You sound unreasonable. Cyclist paths doesn't cost that much to build and maintain as roads. Furthermore, most cars polluting while bicycles don't.

We should stop producing beef in this country to stop pollution. We should ban cars in the city centre. We should criminalise families dropping teenagers to school within the cities.

With BusConnects it will be L85 direct! For only 2 Euro!

• Advertisement

Sure you can - once I can get onto Eamon and instruct none of my taxes are allocated towards paying for things I don't use. Which includes cycle lanes.

Let me know how you get on.

Here you go, you have responded to your own original comment about the car-centric owners paying their pollution fees. Which I would be glad to see being allocated to the cycling lanes and the public transport. I'm, by the way, a daily car driver and an occasional public transport user.

I know that my car farts, but I don't cry that my fart tax go towards non-farters' infrastructure. Car drivers are bad people, we won't go to the heaven.

I'd say you're a lot of fun at parties. 😴

I haven't been to the airport in years. Doesn't mean I agree with motorists being gouged.

Which is what this is. "Pollution charge" my ass.

Not sure how to respond to this, as you're looking for some party fetish in this discussion... But the fact that way for too long our society have been car-centric. Time to charge these **** car drivers!

Disclaimer: Mercedes drivers should be charged more as they drive too slow. And show-off BMW drivers should be charged extra for driving reckless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,412 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Any truth in the rumour DAA have bought up the Q-Park site? It was sold in November. So much for The Competition Authority in this country if true 🤔

• Advertisement
Advertisement