Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Promotion prospects from HEO position?

Options
  • 13-04-2022 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm currently employed as an accountant and have been offered HEO position within a finance role.

When I take performance bonus into account of my current job, the pay will be about 8k per year less if I take HEO role although I don't have a pension at present which I understand is included in point 1 ppc salary scale. Hence the difference might not be as high when considering pension.

The other factor is I am currently able to work from home in my current job but its anticipated to move to hybrid model in next few months. The HEO position will be city centre office based full time with no hybrid option.

I have a 4 month newborn and a family member I provide transport to hospital for cancer treatments.

So some may look at the above and think I'd be mad to move from where I am but my current job probably doesn't have much promotion prospects. I'm thinking if I took HEO position perhaps it would be best move longterm if I got promoted in a few years to assistant principle or above.

My question is how realistic is my assumption above? Is it so competitive for AP and above that my odds of promotion are low?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,031 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I personally wouldn't take a position like that...why no wfh? Have they given you a reason why? Most departments are offering a blend pretty long term. I am a day a week at the minute still. The pension also isn't what it used to be either.

Positives in CS I am an AP I started out as a CO so you can move up if you knuckle down. I was a HEO for about 4 years before getting AP. Would you want to stick it out that long with no guarantee of promotion? I do think an accountant background might help you there is always demand, I am in IT and it is the same decent demand.

Advertisement