Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charges for dropoff and collect to be imposed in Dublin airport

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,798 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

pointless doing that my friend if the person who gives you a lift TO the airport is passing or going in close proximity TO said airport..getting out of a car that can go to the airport to wait for a bus to go there… Jesus h……

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I can see people getting picked up and dropped at the McDonalds and walking up to/from departures to avoid it. It stinks by DAA, its to grab money end of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,449 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Why would they have to jump through all these hoops though, just to avoid motorists making a small contribution to the facilities they are using?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

You have to have motor tax to park on a public road. It doesn’t matter if you have one or one hundred personal cars. If they are taxed you can park them. That is the charge for parking them. Park an untaxed motor and this is an offence and can be removed.

I’m now enacting the Mark Twain clause and finished arguing with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I am happy that your non-traditional style of thinking is in the minority, although Eamon Ryan seems to share it.

• Advertisement

There is no charge for parking on a public road, except for designated paid parking areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,999 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Free for 5-10 minutes and charge after that per minute.

Too many are/were using departures to wait for arrivals, despite the insistent disembodied voice saying cars will be towed etc. Were they ever towed? I think someone would come along and get them to move on or something.

But I am sure this has already been mentioned. Is there a short free period option with this proposal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Jesus.

That is rich coming from someone with a posting history like yours.

Can you legally park an untaxed car on a public road??

• Advertisement

No, no more than you can drive an untaxed car on a public road. Public roads are essentially out of bounds for untaxed cars.

Buut...

Is the purpose of the tax only to permit private cars on public roads? No.

Does the money from the tax go directly towards the upkeep or provision of parking on said roads? No.

Is the cost of tax in any way proportional to the physical size of the car, or how often it's used or parked on a public road? No.

So to call motor tax a "fee" for parking on a public road is a reductive argument and no way represents real life.

Reminds me of Norm MacDonald's dog house joke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oseqh7SMIvo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Sure it’s all immaterial anyway.

Motorists will avoid using their cars now in protest at the money grab by oil companies. 👏

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

This is why it would make sense to introduce a barrier system with a free 10 minute period to drop off or collect passengers. Any other method is penal.

Stay Free

There is, because failure to display valid tax disc can see the vehicle removed. No disc, no parking on public road.

Stay Free

What hoops? What are you talking about? I never mentioned any hoops in my post. I merely said that they're trying to fix an problem which doesn't exist and they're using the nonexistent problem as an excuse for fleecing the public.

The infrastructure needed to charge people for all drop offs is exactly the same as the infrastructure needed to only charge people if they remain there for longer than X period of time. Exactly the same. They chose not to do that, though, and are gonna charge everyone. I've yet to see a valid reason why it cannot be free for 10 mins then a sliding scale of charges after that.

No one said that the purpose of motor tax is to park on public roads. You're refuting points that nobody has made. However, if you wish to drive, or park, on a public road, the fee you pay for this privilege is called……………… motor tax.

The reality is that the chances of getting caught are negligible. There's loads of clunkers with no tax parked on public roads, and Gardai do SFA about it. The multiple car household pays no more tax for the car on the street than the car on the driveway. There's no charge for parking on public roads, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Should parents be charged to drop their children off outside the cinema or a teenage disco?

Whatever DAA end up charging just take it back in the bottles of water with the honesty box payment walking to the gates😂

• Advertisement

It is still however a requirement to have a valid tax disc displayed in the vehicle in order to park it on a public road, so it's not free parking. If they want to bring in a law where you can put a tax disc on a wardrobe to park it on the street, then that's fine. Enforcement of parked cars with no valid tax disc parked up is a flying joke, but that's separate to the fact that the car must still have a paid up tax disc on display.

I also don't think any reasonable person has a problem with charging anyone abusing the drop-off/collection points at the airport. Congested or not, it's just selfish to sit in the car for 10-15-20+ minutes in an area with constant traffic flow. The problem is the obvious money grab. The DAA could solve the problem with a barrier and ticket operation with payment required after 10 minutes, but they choose instead to charge every motorist, none of whom will actually be the people arriving/departing on a plane.

This measure will not encourage people to use the red car park and ride. Passengers will be dropped as near to the airport terminal as possible without the motorist incurring a fee. There will be hundreds of people every hour being dropped off at the McDonalds who will then walk to the terminal and will be less safe than if they were to be dropped off at the terminal rather than hauling cases across busy roads with kids in tow. All this will be another middle finger to the price gouging from the DAA.

I no longer use the short term car park at the airport because they just completely took the proverbial with their price hike. I used to arrive early when picking someone up and sit and have a coffee and a pastry...spending money onsite. Not anymore on principle of their extortionate hike. Now, when dropping off, or collecting anyone from the airport, I am there and gone in less than 5 minutes. Often I don't even get out of the car. Most people I have spoken to do the same thing.

The DAA: Cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭John.G

There is, at Cork airport, a 15 minutes waiting period, sensible enough I think?.

Dublin are just following other airports, Edinburgh, Glasgow have £4 charge, Manchester £5….

works as a revenue stream there so Dublin want in… ughhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Dublin hasn’t got to the stage yet where they have have vans going around with ANPR cameras snapping people trying to evade the drop off fee by parking up at alternative locations. Various UK airports have this. They’ve even gone to the effort of putting railings all along the approach roads meaning you have to jump over these barriers if you want to hop in someone’s car. I still did it though lol.

dublin Airport has had no official pick up area other than the short term car park which is ridiculous. The ideal solution is that done by many US Airports. Have a “cell phone lot” over at the red car park and then 5 mins is allowed at the designated terminal pick up area.

One thing is clear. The system needs to change from what it is and I guarantee the terminal will be gridlocked full of cars this summer and Easter mainly caused by people waiting long periods of time to collect people. In this regard people can use the free red car park pick up area as a waiting zone similar to the phone lots.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,175 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

AFAIK in Dusseldorf airport, when you enter the dropoff area you've already passed the barrier which governs entry to the multistorey parking - but if you exit within 10 or 15 mins, there's no charge. so they've killed two birds with one stone there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭John.G

That's exactly how it works in Cork, your number is noted when you enter the drop off point and you have to exit through one of two barriers, barrier lifts if <15 minutes, you pay if >15 minutes.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

RE bus service frequency, see below for news of enhanced frequencies shortly.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058048557/dublin-airport-bus-service-changes/p16

Also it is still believed that National Express plan to start the 785 - Airport to Clontarf (Via Clarehall, Raheny and Fairview) route later this year they were planning to start in late 2020 before the pandemic hit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,175 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,424 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Perhaps this won't be implemented after all, about time someone stood up to them...

Contentious plans by Dublin Airport operator, daa to install a tolling system for a new paid drop-off and pick-up zone for the country's busiest airport may yet be prevented from getting off the ground.

This follows the sole objector to the scheme, an independent member of Fingal County Council, Cllr Joe Newman, launching a fresh planning challenge against the controversial proposal.

Cllr Newman’s appeal to An Bord Pleanála against last month's grant of permission by Fingal County Council includes a submission from Senator Emer Currie of Fine Gael in support of the appeal.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/0405/1290607-plan-for-paid-drop-off-at-dublin-airport-faces-appeal/

• Advertisement

i can't see anything (which is mentioned in the article) about his grounds for appeal bar this:

"In his appeal, the Fingal councillor has told the appeals board that the daa application "strikes a balance in favour of their financial interests over the stability and quality of the public realm"."

what's it got to do with stability and quality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭StreetLight

There was only one objection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Margaret Clarke

And what about people who travel from the midlands, ie, where I come from?

How much is this going to be? Roughly?

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Fingal make an absolute **** tonnenof money out of Dublin airport don't they not? They're about to make more.

• Advertisement

Do you want me to send a limo for you, or what? Do whatever you like, but expect to pay a small charge to drop off at the airport. What % of your total trip budget will that be?

So only people who live within an arses roar of the airport or cycling distance are OK?

What about disabled driver?

Eat before you leave the house and spend fûck all of your money there. They are going to become difficult and unfair with your interactions with them, say “ok, two can play at that game”

How much will this “small charge” be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Good point. Will people with a disability parking badge be charged?

• Advertisement

And what about drivers with their own (or someone else’s) disabled permit dropping off an able bodied passenger?

The DAA is a state company, it’s revenue streams already emanate from us the taxpayers…either directly or via airlines and service providers and retailers … now they want a drop off and collection payment ….on top of all else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I don't see it as a big problem... drop ypour passengers at the red car park anf they get a free bus to the terminal....

does their disability have any bearing on them dropping someone else off? i don't see why there should be any waiving of fees in this instance.

People who use buses and taxis already pay a fee as part of their fare. Why should drivers get off the hook?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Drivers pay for fuel which has gone up in price in case you haven't noticed. I'm guessing you don't drive or go abroad regularly. Many of your comments come off as tone deaf and biased.

Drivers also pay a tonne of money on motor tax and insurance. Yet, you seem to perpetually view them as the enemy. The public transport alternative is nowhere near attractive enough to just leave the car at home and makes the prospect of travelling abroad that much more stressful.

Driving is independent of paying for a service. That's why they don't pay for the service because drivers picking up or dropping off are the service. Let's not penalise motorists for being independent.

You do realize that bus and taxi fares are largely there to subsidise the fuel costs of the provider. It defeats the whole purpose of saving money when you punish motorists for not being customers of another service and is fraudulent in my opinion.

So you think people who need to be dropped door to door should be paying for that privilege?

the badges are assigned to people who are passengers too as well as drivers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

The DAA can't have it every way.

It's a s&&tshow there at the moment + they are panicking now coming up to Easter and telling people not to arrive to early.

If I was heading to airport + was getting dropped off then you could plan to be there the 3.5 hours as recommend no more/ no less.

However if you have to start factoring in public transport(even though doesn't really exist properly at moment to airport especially in middle of night) or parking miles away + then waiting on transfer bus, then people will have to give themselves even more time so would be turning up hours before which the DAA are no telling people not to do!

If any of those councillors look for my vote the next time, I'll be telling them where to go!

Fair play to Joe Newman for standing up to them.

I was specifically referring to disabled drivers, not passengers.

I never said it did. Take your head out of your pannier for just a second and reread my post.

I was testing the situation.

Scenario 1: Will a car be charged if a person with mobility issues (and have a blue badge) is being dropped off, if they are exempted, how will this exemption be granted if they will be using ANPR?

Scenario 2: If exemptions apply to cars carrying blue badges, is this open to abuse where drivers can drop off able bodied passengers?

I cycle myself sometimes, albeit a fair weather cyclists when I’m in Ireland so not as much as you. But you’re really doing your cause a disservice by acting all holier than thou. Some people simply don’t have an alternative.

• Advertisement
Advertisement