Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Masters of the Air [Apple]

• 19-01-2013 1:50pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,510 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

http://collider.com/tom-hanks-steven-spielberg-masters-of-the-air/
    This fall we reported the early whispers that Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg would be back to produce a third World War II miniseries for HBO, new details of which have emerged. The two collaborated on the highly successful (and highly decorated) series Band of Brothers which first aired in 2001, and followed it up with The Pacific in 2010.

The new series, called Masters of the Air, would explore the aerial wars of the men known as the “Mighty Eighth,” using Donald L. Miller’s historical book Masters of the Air: America’s Bomber Boys Who Fought the Air War Against Nazi Germany as source material. Hit the jump for more on the project.

Will be good to see some air battles for a change, though what happens on the ground will hopefully be as interesting, including the airmen's stories/background, etc. I was a bit disappointed with The Pacific as I didn't really connect with the characters, though I thought it was good in how it depicted the personal cost paid by the soldiers.

Early days for this upcoming project - hope it gets off the ground. It'll probably air...2016?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Hopefully they stick with one group throughout, chopping and changing between characters just didn't work in The Pacific

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

hardCopy wrote: »
    Hopefully they stick with one group throughout, chopping and changing between characters just didn't work in The Pacific

It'd be more interesting if they portrayed the German side as well, there's plenty of fascinating stories on the other side too.

It could be a spectacular series, the epic Schweinfurt/Regensburg raid alone deserves a couple of episodes to show everything that happened.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,510 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Not much concrete news on this. Seems very much in the pre-production phase, getting writers on board, etc. There is a Facebook fan page

Importantly, it looks like they have interviewed the veterans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15 Cobraverde

I've just managed to track down a copy of the book. A few chapters in and it's rather excellent and constantly fascinating. The whole concept of mass aerial bombing was pretty much theoretical by the start of the Second World War. Many of the american planners insisted on going on the first bomb run over Germany and were ecstatic on returning. Everybody was convinced this type of modern warfare - from the air - would save countless lives in comparison to the suffering of the last war. Of course, it didn't exactly pan out like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,510 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

It's been difficult to find information on this over years. Stuff online about the alleged budget, pieces having been shot. I'm not aware of anyone having been cast. Granted, they often have tended to go for relative unknowns with the soldiers/characters, but it's hard to get clear info on the production, in general. I presume if there was something official the usual sites like Variety, Hollywood Reporter, etc, would have pieces up, or indeed a press release from HBO.

Anyway, scripts are nearly done, it seems.

https://twitter.com/johnorloff/status/889593735306203136

• Advertisement

Masters of Air

Apple Orders Follow Up to ‘Band of Brothers’ and ‘The Pacific’ From Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg

Adaptation of Donald L. Miller book “Masters of Air” will be tech giant’s first in-house production

https://www.thewrap.com/apple-masters-of-air-steven-spielberg-tom-hanks/

At last, something solid. Big coup for Apple.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I'm really looking forward to it.

Cary Fukunaga will direct the first 3 episodes.

Deadline

Austin Butler and Callum Turner will play the lead roles.

Variety

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Irish actor Anthony Boyle join the cast as a joint lead.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Well, glad we haven't had to wait for this one for too long.

I'd be looking forward to this, but can't help but feel it's got big boots to fill.

Re-watched BoB and Pacific over Christmas. They're both so good.

The former trumps it for me, just for how it spent time developing the relationships in particular.

But Pacific did a job of really showing a different type of war, and the psychological effects it had on soldiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I recently read Donald L. Miller's book Masters of the Air which is what the series is based on. Incredible book that goes into a lot of detail of the air war in Europe. I'd highly recommend it

Playtone's Kirk Saduski saying mid-Spring 2023 for the potential airdate. Promising spectacular VFX too. He worked on Band of Brothers and The Pacific.

First look at in Apple’s sizzle reel of upcoming shows

Barry Keoghan one of the stars

Starts Friday January 26th 2024 with a double episode and then runs weekly every Friday.

It has 9 episodes.

Was hoping we'd get it this side of Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,507 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Produced by Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg and Gary Goetzman and will drop on Apple TV+ on 26 January 2024

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

First trailer arrived for this - not immediately down for all the CGI dogfighting, even if I know why they went that route.

They're so young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭billyhead

Can't wait for this. Thought the Pacific was poor though.

I liked that trailer. Looking forward to this a lot. Donald Miller's book is a great read as well.

I liked the Pacific but not as much as BoB. The Pacific campaign was much longer than the American's campaign in Europe. D Day to VE day was less than a year. The Pacific campaign went on for a few years and so there was a good bit more ground to cover in the show. I don't think we got to know the characters in the Pacific as well and the characters in BoB either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

are they as young a they were in real life and what was the death rate in these unis?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 findra

They were all mostly in their early twenties and the death rate was horrendous. More allied service personnel died in the European air war than in the entire Pacific ground campaign

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Think we've just got older lol. I had a quick check and Damien Lewis was 30 when Band of Brothers came out, younger again when they shot it - and the man he played was 27 when WW2 ended in 1945. Easy to forget just how young these guys were when they went off to fight.

Full trailer

Starts January 26th

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm just jaded and cynical but yeesh, some of the on-the-ground dialogue was atrocious sounding, especially the Romantic lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,623 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I can't wait for this. Missed the trailer being released and only stumbled on it this week.

The Pacific paled in comparison to Band of Brothers because it didn't have the same cohesive story of a single unit of exceptional soldiers to focus on and instead used a selection of the most notable memoirs of men who fought in the Pacific campaign as it's source resulting in a fairly fractured story. Individual episodes were fantastic but it missed the central narrative.

Sadly it looks like Masters of the Air may be taking the same path, hopefully they'll figure out the plot structure a bit better this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Always feels like The Pacific gets a bit of a hard time. I rewatched The Pacific last year for the first time in years and I thought it was amazing. It's not as accessible as BoB if you're not familiar with the Pacific theatre but I was blown away by how accurate it was.

The Masters Of The Air book is very good but I've no idea how they'll manage to make a cohesive story out of it though. My expectations aren't very high for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,623 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I couldn't get into The Pacific.

The opening credits,

Nearly there now after years in the works.

• Advertisement

It's getting rave reviews from those critics have seen the first few episodes.

Starts this Friday.

I'll wait and see cos those trailers looked a tad cornball and patriotic; I have seen some reviews suggest it's not like that at all

An A from AV Club. I saw quite a positive headline from The Guardian.

TV Line, on the other hand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

anyone watch it yet ? might throw on the first episode in a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yep watched the first one earlier. Excellent start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

First two episodes are good but the combat scenes cant help be a bit same-y. There is only so many ways you can make a bombing run different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭mobby

watched the first two, Good stuff so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,062 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I didn't see anything patriotic about it but a little bit cornball ya. Butler is too "Hollywood hero" type. James Deen looks, charm, striking voice and the English and Irish in episode 1 are all typical Hollywood stereotypes with stupid accents.

Even worse is Barry Keoghan doing an American accent (but I could be biased because I can't stand him)

They are small things though and I enjoyed episode 1 and am looking forward to seeing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

I have a 9 year old who loves military aviation stuff - would it be suitable for him? We don't have apple tv so I'd only get it for him if it's not wildly inappropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

watching them all get shot pieces burned and die might cure him of it so go ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

Wildly inappropriate then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,062 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I would have been watching it at 9 years old.

It's got nothing you wouldn't see in all those horror movies that were popular when I was that age.

I wouldn't go buying Apple just so he can see it but at the same time I wouldn't freak out if I found out he saw it somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,298 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Watched one episode. So far not impressed have seen better. Maybe the next few episodes will be better.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I watched the first 2 episodes. I can’t stand Austin Butlers rather woeful accent.

The show isn’t a patch on Band of Brothers or The Pacific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Watched the first 2 episodes and I'm enjoying it. It looks like they're trying to stick with the same characters for the first few episodes at least which is good from a story arc perspective but in reality the life expectancy of the flyers was extremely short, vast majority especially in 1943 were quickly shot down and killed or if they were lucky spent the rest of the war in a POW camp. I'd say within the next few episodes the story will shift to other people entirely.

I think comparison to BoB and The Pacific is not fair as it's a much more difficult situation to create a compelling character driven drama for reasons I mentioned above

• Advertisement
Advertisement