Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seat map for Ryanair 737 max

• 06-03-2022 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

I am booked to travel RYR to Feurtaventura soon but I see that they are now using their new B737 Max on some of the Canary Island flights,

how will that affect seat reservations? I have reserved 1st row seats but other rows with extra legroom may not correspond with the 737-800 seat map, it will be interesting to see how they handle it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Def_IRL

Try seatguru.com

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

All the change on the two I've flown on for the front row is that there is no 1A seat.

Sat in 1B for a two hour journey and 6A for a 90min journey and I'll tell you,the seats are not comfortable. I'd a sore tailbone for 4 days after.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

That was my first thought, but Seat Guru only list the 737-800, as does the Ryanair booking webpage

my issue is not about the seating layout but what if I booked and paid extra for say for instance, one of the row 16/17 seats which have lots of legroom because of the over wing emergency exits and found myself sitting instead in row 16 of the new Max aircraft, which may not be premium seats, in fact I read that the seat pitch is less than the older 737, the Max has more rows of seats

how do Ryanair handle this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I have a booking next week and the seat map showing on it is for the Max, not the 738.

I speculate that FR knows what aircraft will operate a given leg and presents the appropriate seat map at booking time.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭bikeman1

If it is a MAX then the seat map for it will be loaded into the system. If it’s a last minute swap which happened to me, they will offer you to move to the extra legroom seats if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

due To travel on the max myself at the end of the month for the 1st time,

booked one of the two seater extra leg room seats so going to be fun to see what these seats are like as by god the plane looks tight

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The Ryanair site will show you the appropriate seat map of the aircraft assigned to the flight you are booked on. There can be swap outs that see a 737-800 replace a max, in that case the seating map will be updated to show this.

I haven't been on one yet as when I was scheduled to be on one, it was subbed out for a 737-800 a couple of days before the flight, some passengers had printed boarding passes from before the swap was made for row 35 which doesn't exist on a 737-800!

I'm on another flight a week on Friday, and that is showing as a MAX too, so hopefully it will be this time around. Sadly there does not seem to be any maps on the likes of SeatGuru to tell you what are good and bad seats and whilst I know exactly what to go for on a 737-800, MAX is something I am not sure what seat to pick on as a 6ft3 person!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

I'm flying to Basel next month and booked 28f on what was a 737-800 but its now been changed to 737-MAX so 28f is now an emergency exit. The problem I have is that I require an extender belt so I'm guessing I can not be seated at an exit row because of this. So will I mention it at a check in desk or prior to boarding at the gate?

I had my first flight on a Max last night.

Honestly, other than the slight difference in seat map it didn't feel any different to a regular 738.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Was due to fly on one however the plane got swapped out,

Paid for the two seater seats for myself and the girlfriend however was able to move them to a exit seat, Ryan air do not make it easy to change your seats after you paid for them !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

"how do Ryanair handle this?" The answer is very badly, The exit rows on the MAX are 17/18 - There were 3 groups in conflict on a recent flight I was on, Its a shambles, People paying for exit rows not getting them, and others not paying (Row 18) and getting them, Then there were people paying for Row 16 and seeing they were normal seats then sitting in row 17 leaving row 17 passengers to go somewhere else.

Just an update on this. There is no 28F on the Ryanair Max! But got sorted on the webchat and was given 35F. When I was boarding I was told I was being moved to 14F?? He explained due to the aircraft swap my seat was changed and when I told him I already got this sorted he allowed me back into 35F. On my return flight which since I booked it was always a 737 800, there was a passenger booked into row 35 which doesn't exist but the crew calmed him down and found him a seat.

On another note the seats are extemely tight for both waist and knees compared to even the older Ryanair seats, so much so that I'll be doing my best to avoid the MAX in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

That's a pity, the newest model they got before the Max were a great improvement for leg/knee room, these have the mood lighting on them and minimal sized seating.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Max should be quite a lot quieter too presumably.

I agree, I had nothing but praise for the slimline seats when they first appeared due to the extra legroom but they've just crammed to much into the MAX for it to be comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭john boye

Is there any kind of allocation system for the max? It sounds quite haphazard as to where they'll turn up. Seems a strange way to manage such a large fleet of them.

I thought that, but having flown it as a passenger I honestly noticed no difference other than the seat layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

That Max seat I have found is seriously uncomfortable on the ar*e bone. The older 800 seats were grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Is it an electric plane?? Need to save the planet and fly green.

At my third time of being on a flight allocated to a max, the first two times having had a 737-800 subbed in, I managed to get COVID, so I still haven't managed to be on one. Of course a max did actually run on that flight!

Will be my fourth attempt next month!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are no electric planes of that size, nor is there any chance of any for many years. But this thread is about the seat layout only. I would suggest you go to the Environmental Issues forum if you want to discuss transport alternatives.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Not sure I'd completely agree with that, the one I went over to Bristol on recently had a very uncomfortable harmonic vibration during start up that was very penetrating. Fortunately, it didn't last too long, as it was very hard on the ears. I was perhaps in an unfortunate row, alongside the front edge of the fan cowl, which may have made it more noticeable than in other parts of the cabin. Never had the same happen on any of the 800's, or any other 737 come to that. The noise levels were slightly higher during take off and initial climb, not unpleasant, and once in the cruise, it was similar to the 800's.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1 carne_y

I was victim to the new plane last night on FR7120 Tenerife to Dublin. Booked and paid exit seats in row 16 for the legroom ( im 6' 6" )however row 16 is now just a regular row now, staff on the plane lost the run of themselves with the new layout, clueless yet helpless to the change. I had to stay in 16 for the duration which I hope is my last flight with them. If you're 6' 2" you might get away with a normal seat. What I found shocking was I could rebook the same flight/plane there and then and still choose row 16 as an exit row.

Few calamites : A family with young kids who had booked the back row, which doesnt exist anymore, had been reassigned to an exit row which in turn couldnt be used by them as they had under 16's so they had to be swapped around with random people from other seats.

An older lady in the new exit row of 18 swapped with a fellow giant of a man from row 16 beside us.

If Ryanair are watching - update your website and apps to reflect rows 17 and 18 as exits!

Finally got a ride on a MAX yesterday into Stansted.

Sat in row 28C because of the fact that I heard lots of bad things about legroom in normal seats compared to a 737-800.

Main differences I noticed before boarding were the extra exits, the new winglets and the different shape engines. The new exits are slide based as they don't open over the wings, but this has the downside of meaning the windows alongside these rows are very very small so you're going to see very little from there.

Seat 29A probably has the most seat room I've seen on short haul aircraft for a long time, since there is no seat 28A next to the emergency exit and with row 28 itself having extra leg-room, you've effectively got about 3-4x more legroom than a standard seat. It also allows you to walk from 29A to row 28A along the cabin wall rather than aisle.

Seat 28E does not exist in the Ryanair layout, because it instead features a crew seat facing rearwards, with the two toilets right at the back next to each other, behind the doors (rather than in front of the doors behind the last row of seats) to allow for an extra row of seats in front of the doors. There still is some crew storage at the back between the last row of seats and the doors though.

My experience was it was the Max got off the ground quicker than normal, seemed to be a fair bit quieter on take-off. Seemed to take less effort than a normal 737-800 and seemed to. Certainly felt smoother too. In flight the sound was slightly lower than a 737-800 but I couldn't really say hugely.

When descending I could barely hear the plane apart from the air conditioning whirl. Touchdown felt faster than normal in Stansted, honestly I thought it was too fast. However after a second or two the brakes seemed to ramp up a bit and seemed to be pretty effective at bringing the plane to the stop. Strangely even though we landed faster, the braking felt much more smooth, quieter and more effective than normal.

Other things I noticed - PA system seemed a little clearer, seemed to be quicker to disembark, air conditioning seemed to be better than what I've seen on 737-800's with Sky Interior. I always felt the Sky 737-800s seemed to have less air pressure with their fittings than the non sky interior 737s, but the max seemed to be better.

All of the above is anecdotal of course and may just have been a one off and not the normal, but it's my experience yesterday nevertheless. All in all it feels a solid improvement on the 737-800, but admittedly I haven't sat in the regular seats or seen what the changes are at the front of the plane.

Oh, and if anyone on Ryanair is expecting a real treat, just to let you know that there is to be some Airbus operated flights by Lauda Europe out of Stansted this summer. Some of them are already showing on the booking engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Booking some flights myself and noticed that both 27F and 28F are missing on one side, due to the exit, but on the other side only 28A is missing. Seems a bit odd to have to lose two seats on one side but only one on the other for what should be the same type of exit. Perhaps the logic is that the attendant sitting in the rear-facing seat on the F side has sufficient view of both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

27F is where the extra crew member sits facing passenger in 29F.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

On recent Max flight from FUE-DUB a family group with a child had booked the exit row, there was a bit of confusion before they were told to swap seats with the passengers in the next row, although it is stated clearly on the RYR booking website that children are not allowed on these seats, it’s seems to happen regularly, perhaps the new seat maps are causing more confusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

First trip on a max this weekend also. Can concur with devnull...definitely a quieter aircraft, seems to take off fast (though that might be just because it seems quieter) and brake fast. Seating layout with the new exits is pretty messy, but that won't bother most people. I was in 29A, great legroom but poor view of the cabin due to the crew seat in front and the window is a bit behind the shoulder. New toilets in the rear are so small. I never thought it would be possible to make them smaller, but they have. The wash basin has shrunk so now you just wash one hand at a time - genius really, particularly as you need to keep your other hand on the tap to keep the water flowing.

Overall a fine aircraft, but I think ryanair and staff are currently struggling to adapt, but likely this will iron out in time. 4 staff is not really sufficient for the amount of demands ryanair put on them, particularly on flights less than 2 hours if it's fully loaded. I wonder if the reduction in galley space is also having an impact on service. As i say I've no doubt this will all iron out in time. The flight I was on seemed to have very inexperienced crew which probably didn't help.

I was in Poland this week and I saw a Buzz liveried 737 Max, a 737-800 in Ryanair colours and a A320 in Lauda colours land in the space of about an hour and it was very noticeable that the 737 Max landed a lot faster than the other two.

Haven't been in the rear toilets of a Max yet, the last few flights I've been on since my first experience on a max have been either Lauda A320s or Ryanair 737NGs. Looks like the return leg of a trip in two weeks time is showing up as a Max, so might sample them then! As you say, the existing toilets are small enough, so doesn't sound too good!

Personally I didn't see any real difference in terms of crew on my Max and how they were coping with it, it was a Stansted based crew and I'd imagine that they have a fair few of them by now, but some of the other bases might not be so well drilled yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Having sat in 29F last week, I saw this in operation. 29F has excellent leg room, but only limited over the shoulder view of a window. The armrest table is not horizontal, if you put your drink on the second panel it just slides off.

Mind you the aircraft I was on, a Polish registered 8200, the flight was delayed for 3 hours while they did something with the avionics. Not ideal for what is a very new aircraft.

Advertisement