Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I have a 110k daily round trip. What's the cheapest EV that will do it?

Options
  • 07-04-2022 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

My workplace is approx 55k away. I have been pouring money into the fuel tank of my ICE for years and I really want to change. However, most of the used EVs I see are 24kw and not capable or this range. How much would I need to spend on a used EV to be sure of this range?

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

28kwh Hyundai Ioniq would do that no bother (you'd need to be charging it every night), I'm sure the Nissan Leaf 30kwh could handle it too (no direct experience with those though myself).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Leaf 30kWh will do that no bother as long as not Motorway speed

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Fern Bench

Thanks, that is good to know. And are we talking an older used one? Would the range be much reduced if the car was say 2015-2017, or 100k miles? There are loads of old 28k leafs for around €8k but I would be nervous about their true range.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭fits

My advice would be not to buy something that can just barely do it. You need a buffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,361 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Ioniq28 would do this with 35-50km buffer even at motorway speeds. We're on our second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,764 ✭✭✭✭unkel

There is no such thing as a "28k Leaf"

The 24kWh Leaf will not make your trip in bad weather in winter. You will have to get the 30kWh Leaf. Or 28kWh Ioniq. Or 40kWh Zoe. Or eGolf 36kWh. Or BMW i3 94Ah. These are the only EVs that I can think of that can do that, that you might be able to buy for under €18k. The Leaf 30kWh the cheapest by far of these, but still over €10k

I put 76k on my Leaf with 105km commutte and it was doing it no bother up to mid-pandemic when I moved jobs. The absolute worst day in heavy sloppy snow covered roads and driving ice rain I got home with 18%. I sold it last Summer at 91% SOH and it should do that commutte no bother for a few more years, degragration quite linear. Always drove with either heating or AC on as well as preheating or precooling ahead of return "leg"

You should have stated that you had the 30kWh Leaf, not the 24kWh Leaf! The latter wouldn't have made those bad weather trips.

True

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭sh81722

Definitely. The 24 kWh LEAF (L24), when new, was a 110-120 km car when conditions were good. On national routes the main driver regularly did 65 km each way trips and, in ideal conditions, the car had about 40% of battery remaining at the destination but usually less. On motorway 90%->brown trousers driven at Leafspeed 100 km/h indicated was 100 km max.

The L40 on the other hand under similar conditions did the same journey return with ease regardless of the weather. Even combined with local driving at the destination the car usually returned with 20-40% remaining depending on how much was driven. Usually there was 170 or so km on clock on return.

I never did the much talked about 120 km/h test on the L40 but it did seem much less thirsty at speed compared to the L24. Based on these two a L30 with a battery in good conditions would do your commute with almost no stress but a L40 or Ioniq would be a safer bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭zg3409

As a 28kWh ioniq owner that used to have a 110km daily commute I can assure you the car will make it, with at least 20km to spare and typically 50km+, that's at full motorway speeds driving it like you stole it.

However you may want more range for trips in the evening or longer trips say Dublin Cork. Once you start going above 160km round trip you may need to public charge. Public chargers are often busy, blocked or broken. An ioniq 28kWh will set you back about 20,000 euro.ost modern EVs with a 60+kWh battery can do 300km no sweat but it will cost you 34,000 to 50,000 to get in one.

If you are a 2 car household and can swap cars and can live with the limitations and if you can home charge you may save 2000+ a year on fuel costs if you charge at home on night rate. Depreciation is low on EVs too. The oldest 28kW ioniqs (162/171) ate out if their everything Hyundai warranty, but they still have the battery warranty. I did the sums a few years ago and it made no financial sense to keep the old car, the ioniq was cheaper overall.

You should also seriously consider moving closer to work or moving jobs nearer home.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I disagree.

My 2014 L24 with one bar degraded and in 86% SOH would do 100km at 100km/h in winter on my Finglas-Drogheda run.

To the OP, Leaf 30 will do it all day long with a small buffer. Ioniq 28 will do it better and the i3 33 kWh will do it all day long too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Could you charge at work OP? Even a granny cable out the window all day would let you get away with a 24kWh Leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Not sure who is going to pay €8k for a car that is only going to be capable of 100km real world at a push.

My predictions of staggering depreciation on EVs was well founded.

I expect that, all in cost of ownership for an EV doesn't differ significantly from an ICE, even with todays fuel prices. Whatever savings your EV makes on fuel and engine servicing consumables will be offset by a much higher initial purchase cost, a very much shorter vehicle lifespan and depreciation to near zero value in 10 years. Even shorter lifespan if there are significant developments in battery technology.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

Looks like we agree with the 100km motorway range. Typical leg that it could do was from say charger at Cashel M8 to Junction 14, 103 km, and it was starting with 95% and ending with very low battery charge. And that was with battery health of 95% and would have been driving at 100 km/h indicated (so 95 km/h real speed) and avoiding using more than two power bubbles.

We did put 71k on a L24 in three years.

LOLOLOL! Are you trolling or just deluded? EVs have near zero depreciation, in many cases they have gone up in value. I bought a brand new Ioniq in 2017 for €25k, sold it 3 years later for almost €20k and now, another 2 years later, it's still worth that.

Name one ICE family car in recent decades that only depreciated 20% from new in 5 years?

Also I had zero maintenance on that car except for 2 tyres after 45k km. 75% discount on most tolls, €120 tax and over the 3 years I spent less than €50 per year on fuel. Total cost of ownership was lower than a cheap petrol or diesel banger.

Yes sorry. My main disagreement was the range when new as it was well capable of more.

I must tell that to myself.

Bought Leaf in 2017 for €7790, sold in 2019 for €11k.

Bought i3 in 2019 for €21k and sold in 2020 €20k.

Bought Model S in June 2020 for €34k and sold in July 2021 for €36k.

Bought Model S in July 2021 for €48k and sold in March 2022 for €57,620.

So yes. Serious depreciation on EV’s 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭fits

The depreciation is indeed staggering 😀

Yeah I got a few other ones too. Bought a Renault Fluence Z.E. last summer for a bit over €2k. Now worth 100-200% more

Bought a Tesla Model S in 2020 for €24k, sold 2 years later for €36k

The depreciation on EVs is painful. And then there is the huge running costs and maintenance 😂

• Advertisement

Gumbo, Unkel: Next time I need a car I'll hire you two as consultants.

We are good at this game, but we do spend a lot of time looking and when we find something, we jump on it. It's not just pure luck 😁

But seriously, in general, apart from the first gen Leaf up to about 2016-2017, depreciation of EVs has been glacial. Not just here, everywhere in the world. Now wait until you see the depreciation of diesels over the next few years when nobody wants them any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Fern Bench

I can't do this in work at the moment unfortunately. I think the 30 is the minimum I need by the sounds of things. Unless I do what a helpful friend suggested and carry a petrol generator in the boot.

L30 with a battery in good health will done nicely and the petrol generator idea won't be a good one. A fully electric version of that would be something like what the Irish agents for Muxsan battery expander do. A workable idea if you have a L24 and don't want to change cars.

Advertisement