Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuel Protests - Dublin 11 April

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Ah so you get to only highlight what you reckon is negative and ignore the positive support etc they have gotten

As I said I reckon your green bias is showing there again tbh

By all means go take a look and see for yourself, very little real support as evidenced by the turnout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭rolling boh

It was obviously arm chair support as you say but also the demands were pie in the sky few would have taken them seriously. You need a large cross section to come out in support of any protest to maybe get somewhere lorry drivers won't get that .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Funny people on here talking about positives

If they are so impressed why didn't any of them join the "protest".

Says it all doesn't it

Incorrect.

Here's details showing proportion made up on top of the base product price plus the amount of tax and vat imposed by each country

Fuel prices in Ireland have significant levels of tax and vat added with Ireland being in the top 10 European countries for the price of fuel.

• Advertisement

Funny people on here talking about the negatives

If they were so upset why didn't any of them join a counter protest

Says it all doesn't it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

FIFTY GRAND?!?!?!

They're looking for fifty grand for hanging around Dublin for a few hours?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Water falls from the sky here. Quite a lot of it at times. It does cost some money to get it ready for use though. Oil comes out of the ground in (mostly) corrupt and autocratic countries a long way away from Ireland.

The govt. (or a private company) must pay to get hold of it at all, as well as pay to get it ready for use as fuel. Oil is a somewhat scarce, and very valuable commodity.

Unfortunately, one of those corrupt oil producers is Putin's Russia (a large % of the entire world's oil production capacity is in Russia - 10 % https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/3/10/infographic-how-much-of-your-countrys-oil-comes-from-russia-interactive) . It is currently waging the largest war in Europe since WW2 sending several million refugees flooding into the EU, devastating cities etc.

The EU (and Ireland) are, while not direct participants, certainly not neutral here. They are supporting Ukraine very strongly and also fighting an economic battle of sorts against Russia. Fuel costs (and therefore inflation) are rising because of all that and there's nothing the govt. can do to make all this go away entirely (seems to be what protesters want?, price caps etc.) in the short term.

As well as the cost rises, it is not impossible that there could be fuel shortages later this year or next year, given the EU could stop importation of Russian oil and turning away from such a big producer and finding alternatives is not easy. What will the protesters be seekng at that point I wonder? Maybe request govt. to evade the EU sanctions and get the oil off Mr. Putin anyway, or perhaps request the govt. to use the Irish army to invade some unfortunate oil producing country to rob their oil...(joke)

Yeah that happens in a lot of protests including the various green agenda ones I've seen over the years. It doesn’t mean that lots of people are not hugely concerned about the issue they are protesting - in this case fuel prices and the rising cost of living and would be broadly supportive.

Conversely it appears there are some very pro green agenda posters here throwing all kinds of stuff simply because the protest is about something theyd like to see banned.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There's people who want trucks banned? Or is it the fuel?

Its the fuel but yeah by extension the greens want a fleet change from ICE trucks to electric.

And that will probably happen in time, but that won't be tomorrow or even next year imho.

I've no skin in the game, but where fuel prices rise then so do the costs of transport of all the goods Ireland needs to import.

And we're all going to increasingly feel the impacts of that over the next year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,604 ✭✭✭✭elperello

To be fair the protestors were talking very tough about blocking up the capital city and deciding who could go about their business or not.

They even demanded the resignation of a Government Minister.

That was only yesterday and today less then 24 hours later it's all gone wrong for them.

They should expect to take a bit of stick.

Lot's of protests are unsuccessful, if they are serious about it they will regroup and reconsider their hard man tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

All of which though had nothing to do with today's pathetic list of delusional demands, combined with the derisory support, which is where the disdain came from in this thread.

Nothing to do with the fact they drive diesel powered trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Hodger

The government has full control over carbon taxes which adding to the cost of fuel which is set to Increase again next month.

What I read was that they were going to protest in Dublin like most protests do - as its the seat of government. And yeah they said that traffic would be impacted afaik

Any group can make demands - like asking for the resignation of a minister - it certainly doesn't mean they'll get that.

Such protest groups by definition are generally poorly organised ime. Its like what they say that a camel is an animal designed by a committee.

And like most such protests in Ireland turnouts tend to be small so yeah so was any significant effect on the city overall

Thing is though, increases in the price of fuel and associated price increases in the cost of living are going to get a lot worse over the coming year

And with that many people who are now just getting on with trying to manage will get increasingly pissed of with how things are shaping up. I'd reckon we'll certainly see more protests in the next year or so. Maybe those will be better organised and or attended but who knows

Well they wanted fuel prices capped afaik. Is that a delusional demand?

Because we know that as the prices of transport rises so will all our costs of living. They may very well have portrayed that message badly, but as far as I can see most protests in Ireland do little better. And most protests here also tend to get small turnouts. Its simply a fact of protest culture here imo.

Nothing to do with the fact they drive diesel powered trucks.

I reckon you're wrong there. Theres another thread about green policies where there a number of very pro green policy posters went near apocalyptic over the idea of the protest itself even before it happened. With some opining that people should be out protesting against the existence of oil companies amongst other things instead of looking for a cap on fuel prices.

Not really imo. Why should Dublin voters make their political choices subject to rural voters approval or something? Think we're told to go and get lost if we dare offer any opinions on the arcana of rural matters, but of course it doesn't go the other way. We regularly get to hear lectures from people all over about what Dublin "needs" or what's "wrong" with it and the people who live there. We've a very rural focussed parliament (that is natural given they are the majority, and Dublin is the only large city really), no local govt., a completely centralised govt. that gives short shrift to Dublin and its problems, views it as a sort of cash cow to be milked very hard for the state and that's it. So forgive me if I don't give a hoot that Rural Ireland apparently hates some Green minister Dubliners (but not me!) voted for + think he's clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,604 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I agree that we may see a better organised protest movement if the current situation remains or even gets worse.

It's going to take a lot of strategising and people actually sitting down together rather than talking tough online.

Tactics, demands, spokespeople all need to the thought out in detail.

Landing into Dublin and setting up roadblocks is a bad idea and demanding the resignation of a minister when the Dail is in recess is just silly.

Ah I thought I copied the bit I was referring to. No worries

It was nothing particularly to do with any urban or rural divide rather this line

he isn't fit for the job

And I think that hits the nail on the head imho. That said I reckon plenty of Dubs don't particularly like him either 🤨

• Advertisement

Carbon taxes are funding the extra fuel allowance payments, the retrofit schemes etc

Cutting it would hurt those who need it the most and as such it won't be cut, case in point the PSO levy is being reduced to zero but the carbon tax isn't being touched.

Its also going to keep climbing, year over year, but 7.50eur a tonne. By 2030 its going to be 100eur at which point its likely to go from 7.50eur a year to 15eur a year. Its needed to fund a wide range of the items listed in the climate action plan, if anything, they may bring the increase in sooner than 2030

Fair enough! That puts a different complexion on it. edit: the other bit of that comment you quoted irritated a bit when I read it, and was thinking of replying. I generally do agree with "Green" ideas and policies but would not be a big fan of the Irish Green party. Did hear the man speak at something last year, thought he was well prepared and spoke + answered questions well but I suppose what actually gets done or not done in govt. in their tenure is of course more important.

Yeah I'd agree with you - I think a lot of people are supportive of green issues, but the currents Irish green party's best boy in class thing and complete lack of joined up thinking does them no favours at all. I actually knew the first incumbent Trevor Sargent who was a completely different animal altogether. His memorable cheque waving incident effectively initiated the Mahon Tribunal investigation into planning scandals at that time. Its a pity he decided the best thing to do was eventually leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭patnor1011

No matter what we do we will end up subsidizing them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭patnor1011

If you think that boards, reddit or twitter represent real life mood or support you are a little out of a picture I am afraid.

Are they? Carbon taxes were first introduced in 2010, were not ring fenced and they've funded fcek all from what I've seen. Fuel allowance payments have been around for a lot longer than that etc and come from general taxation.

Carbon taxes in their present form are just another boot in the bolloxs to people in Ireland. The same people who shouldn't be taxed to death to finance policies especially when that level of tax increases year on year is simply not sustainable

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Wanting a cap on fuel prices is a delusional demand, yes. How exactly did they expect this to work? The taxpayer will pick up the difference between the capped price and the market rate? That all taxes on fuel would be slashed (so again, the taxpayer ultimately foots the bill or pays the price as spending has to be slashed somewhere else).

I think their main problems were:

1. They lacked any coherence, and their demands were genuinely stupid.
    2. They jumped in to bed with the anti-lockdown, freemen type lunatics who are always protesting something and this instantly killed any credibility that they had (and they had little to begin with, given the structure of their group).
    3. Lack of a competent spokesperson / public face for their issue. The Facebook posts are a rambling mess.
    4. The Road Haulage Association, which actually represents hauliers, wanted nothing to do with them

Nah don't agree. There's nothing delusional about looking to keep a lid on rising costs of living. One of the issues there is the increasing amounts of tax and tariffs placed on fuel in this country. I posted some detail on that in a previous comment

Atm lots of countries are looking at a cap on the price a fuel whether that's through reduced taxation and or other temporary measures. The aim as far as I understand it is to put a brake on increasing costs of living arising from the costs of transportation.

I already covered much of what you said in addition to that. To sum it up like most protests in Ireland they tend to be badly organised and attended. What's new?

That said I noted little evidence of anti lockdown or freeman "lunatics" being involved. But maybe I was reading the wrong stuff. Unless you're suggesting that the similarity is that these groups also protested at various times in the recent past? Anyway not to go into a diatribe about the protest- the main point I made is whilst this protest may not have gone anywhere - its highly unlikely to be the last protest on this issue

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There is literally a video on their Facebook from today of a freemen loon with her bill of rights waffling. They are Ben Gilroy types. You go through the posts and there are loads of comments from anti-lockdown lunatics. There was nothing credible about this at any point, a fact confirmed when only a handful actually turned up.

There is nothing delusional about wanting to keep a lid on a rising cost of living, but a fuel price cap is pie in the sky daftness.

There are 2 ways a price cap can be implemented:

1. The government pay the difference. The taxpayer foots the bill here.
    2. The government slash taxes on fuel. This is not free, this would make a massive dent in government income and so this will either need to filter through to big cuts in spending or the shortfall will need to be made up with tax increases in other areas.

And you can be absolutely certain that the people protesting today would be the exact same morons protesting if the implications of option 2 ever came to pass.

Advertisement