Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can't afford pv, want to heat water

• 10-04-2022 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

Hi, was looking at pv but can't afford it at the minute. The biggest thing for us at the minute is probably heating the water. Is this a worthwhile way to go?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

If you want to heat water, don't discount Solar Thermal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

If you can afford 30e a month plus the cost of an Eddi then solar as a service would work for you

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

Roughly what would a cost be in dublin to get this installed ? 3 bed terrace

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Before you go down that route (which is a good route), I'd ask what is the desired goal here? Is it to reduce your energy bills or heat water, or is the heating water what you are picking because you think that you can't afford solar (pv)?

If it's the latter, you may want to have a look at "solar as a service". Basically it's €30/month and then after 10 years you own the thing. No money down, just that €30/month. You might be slow to add another outgoing of €30/month to your bills (I would be the same), but you'll probably save more than €30/month on your leccie bills, so the net result is that you're quids in from the getgo.

I don't have much info on them (sizes, options), but someone here more informed than I can probably let you in with the details should you be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭rothai

30 a month for 10 years seems incredible. I'll have to look up that service. Never heard of it before. Obviously I use electricity but I'd say having hot water and showers going forward will be a big expense. We could cut back on showers and save on the double. No shampoo or shower gel but not so sure that's the way to go lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'd be interested in this system also so will keep an eye for any info posted 😉

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Hopefully someone in the know (such as @SouthWesterly ) would be kind enough to give you the details. I know they exist and i've a pretty good idea of which company involved is the one to go with (there are a few), but I'm overly familiar with them.....so I'll leave it to someone who has first hand experience.

In some respects even a small solar PV (as opposed to the tubes) is less hassle. Much less plumbing issues in getting the heat from your roof to the hot water tank etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Thanks, my concern woukd be additional plumbing costs (old house) albeit modern enough plumbing 😉

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

I used this company on the older deal where you got 7 panels and costs 20 euro a month for 10 years after you give them the grant of 1800. Can't fault the work, in almost a year now total generated 2178kWh hoping to hit 2300kWh for the year off a 2.5kw system. If i was to do it again I'd have panels front and back not sure how it would have worked out with Solar as a service if it would have been extra. I would assume as require different inverter.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Could you PM me the company name please.

Thanks

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement

As I was saying, pretty sweet deal to be fair. You generated....

2178Kwh @ €0.20 / unit = €435

and you paid 12 x €20 = €240.....and in 10 years the kits yours. Lot to like with that.

I thought at time it was a no brainer as expected it would reduce bill and as costs increased would pay for its self by savings lol just didn't expect electric to go up so quick and make it quicker payback.

Ohh yeah, there's been a few people on here championing the whole solar as a service. I was a bit skeptical myself initially when I heard about it last summer, but the math is fairly compelling. Where it doesn't really work out is if you want a bigger system. Say you want to eliminate -any- import from the grid with a battery etc....then you're better off doing your own installation, but if you want solar and you don't have a huge outlay available, then it's a good deal.

Only problem with solar I find is you want more in hindsight think a bigger system would have been better, or even east / west split but its a learning curve. Pricing Eddi at moment for surplus to hot water, was happy last year letting it go to grid as oil was cheap now its not. not sure if it makes sense fully but hope to get more panels in time as well. Have looked at Solic 200(200 STG) as well seems reasonable priced but I like the level of information off the eddi.

Pm sent I hope not used it since site upgraded

I was on their 20e a month deal from last year. Less panels. Over winter I was saving the cost of the payment so broke even.

I got 9 panels. Offer was for 7. And am facing West.

I've already bought myself a second inverter ( 2nd hand) and am planning on a ground system to add to what I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

hi there, can you PM me the name of the company, I can see some offering solar as a service for 29 after grant, but they dont say what output that relates to,

For the extra panels what did they charge for these, an upfront amount or additional monthly amount ?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Can you please PM me the company details?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement