Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Academy Awards (Oscars 2022)

Options

Comments

Jada the Butt will save a fortune on buzzcuts, wigs and dresses over those 10 years.

If she doesn't make an upfront donation to charity in recognition of this fact she should probably be immediately "cancelled".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

he gets banned for ten years but yet gets to keep his Oscar??? doesn't make sense to me😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 30,957 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think it makes sense alright... he won an award for acting talent last year, for which he was eligible. He then got in trouble for bad behaviour at the oscars, the punishment of which is being ineligible for the next 10 years of future awards.

More ifs and buts...

Maybe Jada would have got up and slapped her, herself.

Has Chris Rock apologised to Jada yet?

No. Didn't think so.

Dickhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

How do you know he hasn’t apologised to her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Doesn't need to, he knew nothing about it. Has she apologised for laughing after her husband hit Chris. C××t.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,280 ✭✭✭✭Penn

People like Weinstein & Polanski got to keep their Oscars. If the Academy took Smith's Oscar off him they leave themselves open to being challenged on it any time an actor steps out of line, or people calling for those previous Oscars to be called back etc. I'd say it's a door the Academy don't want to open.

Banning Will Smith from future events is the easiest thing they can do. They absolutely f*cked up by not having him removed right after the slap and still letting him go up and accept the award and make his speech. Now banning him is about the only thing they can do. Taking the Oscar off him means little when he already got to accept it and make his speech and be named Best Actor.

At this stage it's about damage limitation on the Academy more than anything else. Plus they likely don't have the power to do anything harsher. Any criminal assault proceedings are for Chris Rock to bring, not the Academy.

But the question still remains, do you believe that if Amy Schumer would deserve a slap from Will Smith if she had made the same joke, in the exact same circumstance?

Would you think less of Will Smith if that happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I find the reaction to this whole thing crazy in that Will Smith is seen as the bad guy in this. A man (comedian or not) makes a joke about a woman's appearance and hair loss in front of her husband and millions of people watching on TV and this is acceptable?

In the words of Junior Soprano... "a real lack standards your generation"

I know.

It's almost as if physically assaulting people because you don't like the words they are saying is treated like a bad thing!

• Advertisement

Most people aren't defending Chris Rock's joke. Personally, I think it was a bad joke. If Chris Rock wasn't aware of her alopecia and thought it was just a style choice (which is possible), it's likely it was a spur of the moment joke and wasn't planned. Either way, it just wasn't a great joke regardless.

But it also didn't warrant Will Smith walking up and slapping him on stage in front of millions of people watching, and physical assault is worse than a bad joke. Smith hurt himself more than he hurt Chris Rock with his actions.

Neither Smith nor Rock came out of it well, but yes, Smith is seen as the bad guy in this. The joke didn't warrant the assault, and it's unlikely Rock was trying to be malicious or hurtful (again, he may have thought it was a style choice rather than the result of her alopecia which he may not have known she had).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Say you are attending a wedding with your lovely wife. All your friends and family are there. During the speech the best man jokes about your wife gaining weight. You look at your wife (You watched as she spent the last few weeks hungry, eating lettuce and working out so she could look her best in her new dress). Some people are laughing. You see the pain in her eyes as they tear up. What are you going to do?

...And I know this is a preposterous situation to imagine because even the drunkest best man at a wedding knows not to insult a woman's appearance (in front of her) (with her husband there too) (but Chris Rock didn't know this?)

I wouldn't laugh along with the joke like Will Smith did.

I would confront the best man after the speech and away from other people like any right minded person would.

Are you honestly suggesting that you would attack a best man during a wedding speech?

I wouldn't ruin the other persons wedding by attacking the best man.

Because his agent/spokesperson has confirmed that he hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,279 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Will could have got up and kissed Jada’s head, instead of slapping Chris and shouting abuse, he did laugh at the joke firstly

Plenty of people here defending it. Claiming it was nothing. What was the big deal? Making excuses that Rock didn't know about Jada's hair, when she has been a spokesperson on alopecia since 2018. Like the Academy don't fact check everything.

They knew well enough to stop Schumer making jokes about Alex Baldwin, but jokes about a black woman with an auto immune disease is fine.

I can't get over how this has been turned around to posters attacking and name calling Jada - the person who was the target of Rock's "joke".

Pretty strange way of twisting things to be calling Jada a cnut over this, in my view.

But then it's Boards. I shouldn't be surprised. In real life I have not met one person who thinks Rock didn't deserve what he got.

I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,279 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Do presenters get pre approval of jokes gags made up on the spot, hosts yes I assume but I think not for one off presenters

lol.

Why are you bringing her ethnicity into it?

bizarre behaviour.

Making excuses that Rock didn't know about Jada's hair, when she has been a spokesperson on alopecia since 2018. Like the Academy don't fact check everything.

Personally, that's why I'm inclined to believe it was a spur of the moment joke by Rock and that he didn't know she had alopecia. She's been a spokesperson on alopecia, but that doesn't mean Chris Rock knew that. It's likely he just saw she had a shaved head and made that joke because that's the first thing that came to him. therefore no checking by the Academy of the joke beforehand. The joke likely wasn't scripted in advance. They would have had no idea if she'd show up wearing a wig or other headwear which would have made the joke completely redundant.

Not everyone knows JPS has alopecia just because she announced it previously and speaks out about it. Most people don't watch her shows or read celebrity news, especially as JPS isn't a major celebrity these days.

I agree a lot of the criticism and vitriol towards JPS is unwarranted. Given the history of her and Will's relationship I can see why people have a dislike towards her, but people trying to argue that she side-eyed Will and get him to go up and slap Rock, or that he only did it because he knew she's read him out of it if he didn't... there's no basis for that. That's just people's opinion. But in general, personally I do think she seems like a horrible person.

It was a bad joke by Rock and he shouldn't have made it. But pointing out that it was only a joke (again one which I believe there was no malice in and that he likely didn't know about her condition) and that he didn't deserve to be assaulted for it isn't the same as defending Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Smith's outburst afterwards was nearly worse. We all know Will is total besotted with her, and when he saw her reaction and possibly her words he leaped into action.

• Advertisement

I wouldnt say the outburst was worse, but it certainly was proof of how unhinged the mad bastard is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,956 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

If you're quoting a fictional, scumbag, mafia mobster, who's responsible for criminal activity of the absolute worst kind about the standards of a generation...you might need to give your head a wobble. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

You must only associate with idiots then.

As jokes go, this was tame and certainly didn't merit an assault. A worse joke wouldn't have either.

Jada is a ****. Well known in LA circles that she is a ****.

One other thing. If a man took sexual advantage of a young woman (early 20s) suffering mentally there would - correctly - be uproar. The whole family - including their idiot son - are fu*king bonkers.

You obviously skimmed over the posts explaining the cultural significance their hair has to women of colour.

And that fact that Chris Rock was well informed of that significance, because he narrated a documentary on the subject in 2009.

Rock is a black man. He should have known better than to make that comment to Jada, even if he didn't know of her auto immune condition (which I don't accept. Jada might not be well known by some here, but she is well known in LA) .

The fact that Rock hasn't apologised to her by now, is disgusting.

"Rock is a black man".

Jesus. So what?

A comedian told a joke.

Chris Rock has nothing to apologise for.

Whether Jada is a **** or not, doesn't matter. Who she has slept with, is also totally irrelevant.

Only a scumbag would think any of that justifies mocking someone for the symptom of an illness. And only a scumbag would do it.

Only a scumbag would assault a comedian for telling a joke.

"Whoosh" right over your head.

But somehow, I'm not even slightly surprised.

• Advertisement

Lol.

It was a joke.

Was it funny? I didn't think so.

Was it crude? Arguably, yes.

Was it a joke? Yes.

Did it deserve physical violence as a response? Absolutely not.

Only a scumbag would think that a joke from a comedian "deserves" to be met with being assaulted.

You never answered though, would your opinion that the joke deserved a slap change if the comedian was a woman? If I went to a comedy club and heard a joke from a woman that I found insulting or offensive, would she deserve me slapping her in the face?

Advertisement