Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Petrol water pump

Options
  • 10-04-2022 8:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

Anyone any advice on buying a petrol water pump for pumping water about 100 yards.

Priced yesterday and pump was around 350 and hose 400. So thinking of going with building black hose, 2" or 3"

We have a pond around 100 yards from slatted shed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I have a Honda Petrol Water Pump. I use it to pump water up to an IBC container that fills a water trough.

Details here from a previous post. No problems with it so far, but I don't use a terrible lot. Very light aswell.

Labour Saving and General Guntering - Page 205 — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭irishguy19772

You using 1 inch pipe?

Special water pipe?

Petrol water pump here too, the only special pipe I use is the largest one I could get to suck water into the pump. Then I use a smaller diameter 1 inch heavy gauge black water pipe on the outflow to send it where it's going. Have pipes hundreds of meters long.

Is the pond water for drinking water? Was at a meeting with Tommy the Vet during the week, one tip he had was testing livestock drinking water quality. He maintained that he had tracked a lot of problems back to drinking water in his experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭minerleague

You need 2 inch semi rigid on the inlet, have cheap pump here on outside block, pumps a lot of water in short time. keep the inlet ( suction ) side as short as possible as this is the hardest work for pump

We are using water around slatted shed for drinking water. No issues with cattle. Only issue is when we have to get slurry done, agitator needs access to lots of water, so pumping from a pond a hundred yards away was my thinking. Otherwise he is going to pond and contaminating it when he is drawing water.

Our set up is an ibc tank at slatted shed with 10 cows. Relying on water pump off generator.

Was hoping to get something like a petrol water pump that would give me option of drawing from around shed or the pond. So wasn't sure if I needed 1", 2" or 3" pump

• Advertisement

Is water leaking from slatted tank? can you let 1 ft of rain water off shed roof at start of winter, shouldn't need more than that. my pump has 2" inlet and outlet - plenty big enough

We have rain dripping into ibc tanks (1 spare) so usually fine with supply in wet weather

Just in dry conditions I find we are relying on pumping the water and our generator water pump is old enough now , so time to replace.

Was just debating whether to get a water pump petrol set up or go back to generator and dirty water pump again. Have to replace anyway.

This is the pipe. It's 1". It's not great on the suction side as it collapses a bit. The clear hose with wire tru it would be better I'd say.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I wouldn't recommend that on the suction side. Its top quality pipe just not designed for suction. The clear, green, black or whatever colour hose with wire through it is much better.

Lidl sell this one every so often to go with their electric one inch pumps https://www.amazon.co.uk/Einhell-4173645-Suction-Hose-Plastic/dp/B002IJM54A/ , not bad quality but the strainer is a bit on the small side.

Do you have the normal 1" Honda pump or the high pressure $$$$ version.

Edit> Checked your earlier link and post, afaik thats not one of Honda's high pressure pumps as such but the WX series are higher pressure and you'd still notice a big difference in pressure over your average 2" dewatering pump. Head on that 1" Honda is 40m but only 30m or less on most 2" pumps for the same sort of money. I have an old Jonsered version of that (at least 40 years old) and because its so light and easy to use it would be my go to pump if I hadn't worn it out.

Post edited by The Continental Op on

Wake me up when it's all over.

2 inch suction pipe here, post to keep it off bottom of pond. I down graded the outlet to 1 inch as there's a fair drop into a lake I draw some water from and I was having pumping issues. Having the suction hose larger solved the problem.

• Advertisement

If you can place the pump down as low as possible to the top of the water source (pond etc) that helps big time. Also keep the suction pipe as short as possible with large diameter helps too.

You have to prime the pump too and kill the throttle a little too as the water hits the pump at first. This stops it stalling. Rev it back up again when pumping.

I don't think there is any point going beyond the size of the inlet for the suction pipe, however I would never even think of going lower. So on the suction side for a 2 inch pump then you want a 2 inch suction hose, 1 inch for a 1 inch pump etc.

If you are reducing the pipe size at the outlet don't go to small. A 1 inch pump will do half inch and a 2 inch pump is OK with 1 inch but anything less than that the performance drops off to next to nothing. The ideal is the size of the pump outlet, you can go larger but there isn't much benefit.

It can be handy to have a one way valve as part of or just above the stainer. Some strainers have a crude flap valve built in. The advantage is that if you are stopping and starting/moving the pump you don't loose the water in the suction hose and have to start all over. If you have to have the pump up high above the water source then the valve can allow you to pre fill the suction pipe with water to get the suction started which can save time. On the other hand if the pump is down near the water a one way valve is no real benefit.

The OP was thinking of a 2 or 3 inch pump. My experience is that a 2 inch pump will work fine (but still not ideal) with a one inch outlet but a 3 inch pump won't work as well. My theory is that you have to allow the pumps impeller to generate a certain amount of water movement before it takes off and starts to perform fully.

Another consideration is are you leaving the pump out or just moving when required? Patsy's 1 inch pump is dead easy to move around as its 1 inch hose a 2 inch is OK but you'll probably want to leave the delivery hose in place and I find a 3 inch pump a little heavy but that's relative, if you are moving it on a transit box or in a bucket its probably not an issue.

I don't know if my empirical calculations help but with 100m of one inch delivery hose (almost identical to that Patsy pictured) on a 2 inch pump working at a 2 meter suction lift and total head of about 3 m (from water level to delivery point) I can fill a 10 litre bucket in under 5 seconds so thats a minimum of 120 litre a minute (Pump is rated a 520l/m max, 32m total head, 8.5m max suction lift). Which is about right as 1 inch pipe has a quarter of the flow of 2 inch pipe. I use several different pumps to water a large garden so I'd have different requirements to someone just filling a static water tank.

One tip for anyone using one inch flexible pipe (or a lot of any 1/2" or 3/4") like in Patsy picture, give Geka couplings a try. Geka is a brand name but its used generically in horticulture to cover all the generic Geka copies. Examples https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Geka-Quick-Coupling-Hose/dp/B0722KVK7L/ on the hose and https://www.amazon.co.uk/Geka-Type-Water-Coupling-Engineers/dp/B0051ODXWM/ on the pump. Although in the Farming and Forestry forum I could be preaching to the converted.

Iirc, and I may not..... in another place there's 230m of 1 inch pipe between the pond and the IBC. The pump is much closer to the water here. It takes about 40 minutes to fill 1,000 litres. There is the distance, but also a good rise at the start then up's and down's after that also.

^^^^

Thats a litre every 2.4 seconds or 25 liters a minute for a 2 inch pump. I'd love to get a comparison with Patsy's 1 inch Honda WX10 in that application, I suspect it would be similar.

The above is for Honda pumps in ideal conditions with no suction.

For a 2 inch pump pumping through 1 inch pipe you need to divide those figures by 4 so with a 15 meter head the WX10 (Patsy's 1 inch pump) should be producing about 100l/min whereas the WB20 would be pumping about the same volume (four 1 inch pipes have the same capacity - cross sectional area - a one 2 inch pipe).

Anyone else think its strange how we still use and mix imperial measurements with metric as in 2 inch pump with a capacity for 600 litres a minute?

The 1 inch pipe was as big as I could afford to go. The longest length I have is 770 meters, and there's more besides that

I don't mean to get at you for using a 1 inch pipe. I do exactly the same myself but my longest run is only 150 meters.

I just don't want someone to look at the rated output of a 2 inch pump and think they will get anything like that in actual use when they have to lift (suck) water up to the pump, pump it up hill and use smaller pipework than is ideal.

If you are pumping along 770 meters of pipe its no wonder you decided not to buy 770m of 2 inch pipe.

It's a situation where a high pressure 1 inch pump might be a better option than a 2 inch pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭enricoh

I have a Honda 2" that packed in n bought a cheap 2" Pacini Italian yoke from a crowd in Dublin. The Honda shifts water 3 times faster I reckon. I'll be getting the Honda fixed n the other yoke is heading for donedeal!

You have to be a little careful buying a Honda pump. My 2 inch pump is a Honda but it isn't. Its a subari or some such pump with a Honda engine on it. Until you go looking for the label which isn't very obvious its easy to assume its a Honda made pump.

Dont forget a non- return valve at end of suction pipe to keep water in the pipe, no priming then

• Advertisement
Advertisement