Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sausage making

• 02-02-2022 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have tried to find a thread about sausage making and I couldn't find any. This is a hobby that I have started to get into lately. Would anyone be interested in a new thread?

I am rubbish at searching threads on the new boards, so apologies if there is a dedicated section

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I think Boards is rubbish at searching itself at the moment so please feel free to start a new thread. 😋

Would love to get into sausage making. What kit do you have? Was it expensive? Is it bulky?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

I use the kitchen aid stainless steel grinder (I find it great for mincing the meat) and I bought a vertical sausage stuffer recently (5kg capacity), as the kitchen aid stuffer attachment was not good enough (a lot of waste and very tedious to use).

So far I have made white polish sausage (biala kielbasa) that turned out really good, boerewors (good too), chorizo for cooking (so-so) and frankfurters (very tasty). I found the "home production of quality meats and sausages" book by Marianski an excellent resource. I have as well "the sausage book" by Paul Peacock that I found very good too.

Photos are of frankfurters (first), boerewors, chorizo and white sausage (second), and white sausage (third)

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

They all look really good. Well done.

Where do you get your casings?

Smokeandpork.ie

Frankfurters are sheep casing, rest are hog casing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

They look unreal. I’d love to try something like this myself.

• Advertisement

Not difficult at all. A bit time consuming, but it’s perfect for a lazy Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 16,735 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I, briefly, went down this road. I bought a Lidl mincer and it was next to useless - kept getting clogged requiring multiple dismantlings and clearing for each batch. Also, the filler attachment was very difficult to use.

In the end, I just gave up and gave the machine away.

So, if you are thinking of trying this, make sure that you get the right machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

When using a home mincer (I know some are better than others) always have the mincing part of the unit, chilled if possible.

More importantly, have your meat very well chilled, the meat should be firm, like it's beginning to get frozen,

I regularly mince my own pork shoulder, using the mincing attachment for a Kenwood Chef. If the meat is anyway near room temperature, it will clog and jam the mincing unit,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I can't stress enough how important it is to keep your grinder blade sharp. Get a cheap diamond sharpener like those below and give your blade a light sharpen before every use. You wouldn't use a blunt knife, don't use a blunt grinder blade either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Was looking at good mincers a few years ago and a stuffer.

Never pulled the trigger though.......

• Advertisement

Breakfast sausage today. Stuffed in sheep casing as I prefer a narrower sausage. Delicious.

Happy #stuffingsunday

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tropics001

amazing, well done.

Chorizos for the grill this weekend

Looks fantastic. Do you do mail order? 😀

Is that a pork hock you are using?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

They all look absolutely gorgeous. I had a bit of a sausage goo on me anyway today but I'm definitely going to head down to the Brown Pig in Terenure for something tasty for dinner later now!

Getting ready for Easter. Biały kiełbasa again (it’s eaten in Poland with a sour soup called żurek) we HAD TO try them for dinner

What time do you want us to call around????😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭oleras

Àny chance you can include your recipe?

I enjoy making them, but as you say, very time consuming and can get expensive, compared to shop bought, but you know the best cuts are being used.

I make a large batch, vac pac and freeze.

I must get myself organised to make a few this week.

I think it’s adding the recipe photo not in order.

Regarding price, 3 kg of sausages costed me around 20 euro, with prime cut going in. Not bad at all. I used pork shoulder and chuck beef. Same as you, I vac-packed them in packs of three and froze them

• Advertisement

Today Swedish potato sausage. I think it’ll be a bit bland, but we will find out tomorrow.

1.2 kg pork shoulder minc

1 kg short rib

1 kg parboiled potatoes

56 g salt

12 g white pepper

4.5 g allspice

270 ml water

coarse minced and stuffed in hog casings

And another sausage done in the weekend. Jalapeño and cheddar

Recipe:

https://recipekeeperonline.com/recipe/qkuvzETcy0amduCa459R3g

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

What Grinder and stuffer are you using? How are they working out....

......or what do you recommend for home use.

I use the stainless steel kitchen aid attachment for grinding and then I have a vertical stuffer with 4-5 kg capacity. I used the kitchen aid for stuffing but it was very unsuccessful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I was attempting the same a couple of years ago with the Kitchen Aid and my mince was probably not cool enough. It ended up breaking the machine (there is an internal plastic gear wheel). Luckily I was able to take the machine apart and repair it. Just thought I would mention to be aware of that, it was a right pain and thankfully I was able to repair it as the machine is quite expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,735 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

How were the Swedish potato sausages?

Im planning to convince my wife that I need a separate mincer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I was afraid to go back to making sausages after that, but I would love to try it again with another machine. The kitchen aid is made to be repairable and it was relatively easy to get the part when I knew what was wrong. It was fairly intimidating though as it is not that easy to take the whole thing apart if you are not that familiar with repairing mechanical/electrical devices (I am not).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

It is better to ask forgiveness than permission. 😝

Advertisement