Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2022 Irish EV Sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The Leaf is a great car and brought more affordable EVs to more people. They are reliable and overall a great option for most people not doing mega miles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭creedp

Why is it an option? Surely the €5k grant should be deducted automatically once price is below €60k. Why does the configurator treat the reduced vrt rate differently? Do dealers do this so they can inflate used prices? Current grant model is great for the person who wants a new €59,999 every 2 years but is of no benefit to the person trying to buy a 2 year old EV. Of course it's likely that the now €60k EV would be priced lower in the absence of the grant so that the grant is predominantly a transfer of taxpayer funds to inflate car manufacturers bottom line. In reality EVs are already significantly subsidised in Ireland by virtue of reduced vrt which at least is tapered to benefit lower priced EVs most. Compare this to the UK where the only subsidy is a £1.5k grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Because it’s different for commercial purchases.

it’s the price of the car, if the grant stopped tomorrow the price remains the same.

the incentive is to buy know and reap the benefits of the grant when reselling in a grant free market

you do know every bus and rail journey is subsided

• Registered Users Posts: 65,030 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Meh. I paid just over €2k for a top spec Renault Fluence Z.E. fully electric last year. It can't fast charge and it has a very small range of about 80km summer and 60km winter, but that would make it perfectly fine for the vast majority of second family cars.

All those "I won't change to an EV unless it has a 400km / 600km / 800km / 1000km range" posts are all bullsh1t from laggards with their head in between their legs who have no idea of what is happening in the world. I bet fewer than 1% of all diesel cars ever sold in Ireland have done over 1000km in one day. Ever.

Well maybe the configurator should allow you to select the commercial option where it applies. As I said EVs are already incentivised due to reduced vrt and coupled with low running costs is it really justifiable to be throwing €5k at people who are happy to shell out €60k on a luxury car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Can you link me to a span new ID4 for 32k thanks.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

No, because as he said they don't sell that version at the moment. Chip shortages so they pulled it.

Certainly has been inflation. Our ID4 was only a bit over 40k. Something similar now would be 50k, and even second hand models of our car are up on donedeal for ~48k.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭handpref

Imagine what the figures would be like if there was no problem with availability.

The VW figures may be skewed in favour of the id4 because the id3 is no longer available except in one bog standard dx version at €39,285 for a 58kw stripped back version.

This time last year you could order a Tour 5 77kw for €41,110- now you can’t buy a new 77kw id3, I can see why the id4 is attracting more attention with its bigger battery and spec options still available.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

OK what thinking that, he said they start from 32k which I knew was unlikely.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

We’re never going to have sub €15k 400kms+ EVs, there’s a limit to battery technology and cost

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

All this goes to prove is that currently EVs are becoming even less accessible for the majority of people. Until a steady supply of reasonably priced EVs becomes available it will be some time yet before they will begin to replace the existing ICE fleet to any great degree

Should this not be possible on the used car market in the years ahead, although due to degradation the real range of all but the bigger battery cars will be somewhat less than 400kms.

You would struggle to pick up a used Ioniq 38kwh for that kind of money at this point. Used EV prices are ridiculous at this point unless you are doing massive mileage

• Registered Users Posts: 13,279 ✭✭✭✭fits

Range of mine will still be good in two years time when I upgrade. EVs will filter down. It will take time but they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Those first edition ID4s looks like serious value now. Even excluding the smaller range version the prices have increased an unstainable amount for most. I could have afforded one of those 42k versions but finding the 55k EVs a jump too far.

Just shows you that, while input costs have increased, manufacturers are making an absolute killing with EVs af the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Jizique

Are you suggesting that the OEMs do not bump up the prices to reflect the subsidy?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not surprised on the ID4 ratio relative to the ID3 as the taxi grant would push this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭crisco10

I think the ioniq 5 lower spec fall into same bracket. Great "value". But even then they used to be around the e39k mark but have crept up to closer to 41k already.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Not ony that but this argument that they are not claiming part of the tax is ridiculous and keeps getting spouted out. It is a subsidy of 5,000 as you have pointed out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Yeah, if you're willing to wait a year, but many people wouldn't be willing to wait for an unspecified month in 2023.

This exactly.

I've had 2 Leaf 24s for nearly 5 years and they have been great. 3 bars gone on the 2012 model and 2 bars on the 2014. Still enough to do my commute with 30% left arriving home, but I wanted more range for the times I might need it.

I was very close to ordering a red Model 3, but Tesla added 3k to the price which added about 7k for choosing red. I really like the M3, but the price just got mental and it was already above what I wanted to spend.

The Leaf 40 on the other hand doubles my current range and will be the first new car I have ever bought. I usually buy 3+ years old to let the first buyer take the depreciation hit. This time around, with the 0% finance, it made sense to buy new. I would have a 100% healthy battery and the repayments were within a few euro per month when compared to a car with 60-80k klms on the clock. I almost never rapid charge (maybe a dozen times in a year) and while I would rather have access to CCS, the CHAdeMO wasn't a deal breaker.

I went with the 2-Tone Tekna spec for 30k plus 4k paid upfront (by choice...could have financed the lot at 0%). Delivery expected in July. Monthly payments of €500 is a much easier ask than about 12k up front and monthly payments of circa €750+ on a Model 3.

Everywhere I looked, there was a deal breaker issue. Every suitable competitor had a long waiting period into 2023. Anything that might have had a shorter time was well above 50k, or was a small hatch like the e-corsa and would have been uncomfortable and unsuitable for my needs. Perhaps my head needs examining, but I'm pretty sure I made the right choice even though I wasn't considering the Leaf when I started to seriously look.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 65,030 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I don't think they are. Most base version EVs are not profitable for the manufacturers except higher spec / longer ranges ones (and all Teslas)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

my point is that, to replace the national fleet in any serious way, we need 2nd hand EVs in the sub €15k category, where most of the transactions in the motor industry happen.

Where do you think 2nd hand cars come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭sk8board

i was referring to the fact that it will take far longer for EV’s to depreciate to affordable mass-market 2nd hand levels, which is where 90% of annual transactions happen.

the lesser-off people who buy cheap cars aren’t going to magic up the money to buy a car simply because it’s propulsion system is different, meaning the car price needs to come down to their level.

So my point was - when will e.g a 2019 Kia Niro be worth €10-15k, never mind an ID4 or an Ioniq5.

when that happens, the Gov will have no problem with their 1m target (1m EVs is just 40% of the national fleet)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

You can't create a 2nd hand car without first selling a new one. The 1m target for EVs will primarily be fulfilled by selling 1m new EVs, Brexit has made import of 2nd hand cars from the UK too costly. What would you do to create a large number of 2nd hand EVs?

The problemis that most new EVs being sold currently are high end / high spec models which will not be affordable / suitable for many for long number of years. The Govt are never going to meet their (as usual) arbitrary target of 1m EVs, by the sale of Teslas, etrons, ID4s, Enyaqs, ioniq 5, EQ6, etc. We really need a plentiful supply of smaller more affordable cars before there's any possibility of achieving those numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Except nobody wants the small EVs. Everyone goes for the luxury end of the market, or expensive SUV. Very few outside of early adopters club choose cars that will be 10-15k in a few years.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The most popular segments in general are the high value SUV cars, the problem runs deeper than a lack of budget EVs, budget cars in general are doing badly

On top of that you see brands like VW basically abandoning the compact segment to focus on higher margins and Kia/Hyundai are moving more into luxury cars

I think what has happened is that most brands basically don't want to compete in the low margin budget cars so they're basically not going to bother

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement