Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sean O'Brien Announces Retirement

• 08-04-2022 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,614 ✭✭✭✭

Sean O'Brien will retire at the end of the season. At his very best I think he was one of the best players in the world and will be remembered as one of Ireland's best of the professional era.

He's the most destructive ball carrier I've ever seen play for Leinster or Ireland and was a menace at the ruck. Against New Zealand in 2013 he put in the best individual performance I've ever seen from an Irish player. Still yet to be topped by anyone.

It's such a shame that injuries curtailed his career so much. He has 50 caps for Ireland, but it should have been 100. I think it's a measure of his talent that he suffered so many injury enforced absences, yet still come back to play at a world class level when it mattered. Five test caps for the Lions across two tours shows how highly he was rated amongst his peers in Britain as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Phenomonal player , helped get rid of the soft centre at Leinster , and make them a winning tough team - sorely missed at WC '15 QF , a beast of a player. Great memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Fudged

And the hardness he brought would be why? Because he had a farming background? Because he p1ssed on people in nightclubs?

Guys like Hickie, Miller and Costello? And even o Driscoll? We’re they soft? Who or what exactly was soft about it - name a person and explain why they were soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Loved his carry at the end of this clip (I mean Healy's was probably better but still). Players falling and hanging off him, not a bother.

https://streamable.com/73i8x8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

He had a bit of everything really, football, speed , evasion but behind it all was a kind of rage to physically dominate anyone that came near to him, sometimes to his detriment, loved watching him in the wider channels and linking play.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,659 ✭✭✭✭phog

What a player, if he played for any other country we'd be raving about him when he'd come to play against us.

We've had some talent visit Thomond Park on big rugby occasions but we see the likes of BOD, Sexton and SOB so much that sometimes we don't get to appreciate how great they actually are

Wishing him the very best in his next chapter of life.

• Advertisement

Leaving aside his off field issues, one of the best athletes we've ever produced with a remarkable mix of speed, power and toughness. Some of his best performances rank as some of the all time great performances of any Irish player in the pro era. Going to go watch him clear out three Frenchmen.

Indeed he was a remarkable player but I think his strength was what made him. Aggravated that someone would use it to get a dig in against Leinster people. And yes 95% of its supporters are “soft” and work in the professions. Should it we make so that that isn’t so? I dont wish to derail any further but took exception to his misguided views.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Definitely in our absolute elite tier of pro-era players alongside BOD, POC, Heaslip, Sexton imo. What a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Absolutely one of the best players we've produced in the last 30 years. It's very rare we produce guys with his combination of power, speed and footballing ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Shame to see him retire, was an outstanding player at his peak but the legacy of the injuries has meant that he hasn't been the same player in recent years and it seems like he has been aiming towards this for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,099 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

it was like watching an underage match with one player who developed much earlier than everybody else. The catch from Nacewa was pretty tasty as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭OldRio

Earlier in the week I was reading an article on Dan Leavy. There was a photograph of both him and Sean O'Brien walking onto the pitch together wearing Irish jerseys.

Who would have thought that within a week both would announce their retirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

There was a softness to a very talented Leinster group up to around 2007 - wasn't just O'Brien that changed this , Leo, Rocky and others including O'Brien played a big part in becoming winners. Not going to name individuals.

Excuse my ignorance on this - are you a Munster or Leinster fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

• Registered Users Posts: 16,614 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leinster were definitely soft in the mid 00's. The 'Ladyboys' moniker may have been overblown but there was some truth to it. They could get bullied in the matches that really mattered.

The European Cup in 2006 is the perfect example of this. In the quarter final we played some of the best running rugby I've ever seen to beat Toulouse away. But both teams played like defence was optional. In the semi final against Munster they dominated us.

It took the appointment of Cheika, a new generation of forwards in Heaslip, Healy and a bit later SOB, as well as returning players in Cullen and Jennings, to turn things around.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭tvpc

Always felt like he was pissing against the wind

• Administrators Posts: 53,327 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I suspect it's rare because it's a combination that the human body struggles to tolerate.

Ferris was the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭tvpc

a lot of pissed off fans rn

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ferris was a talent too, exceptionally powerful.

But, the new kids coming up are very good. I think there's more talent but S O.B was a stallion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

even conor mcgregor wouldnt piss on someone

• Subscribers Posts: 40,943 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Not called a Tank for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

Great player just a pity about that serious incident, real scum behaviour by him

But a great player, one of our best, 2015 WC qf he was a big loss.

the rugby Ireland are playing now would suit him down to the ground.

he literarily went to the toilet on someone in public

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

I don’t follow rugby much, but 2 things sprang to mind when I heard of this dude retiring, one was what a scumbag and the other was is he retiring from pissing or rugby? Glad to see he has been called out again for this as opposed to the hero worship of Tiger Woods in the golf thread

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

He was reading at the time?

You're shouting into the void here. A lot of the time people can't or simply don't want to consider that people they admire can be downright unpleasant human beings. Mike Tyson bit a man's ear off and is a convicted rapist and he's still seen as a hero by many.

Other people are able to separate "the art from the artist", as it were, and can admire someone's achievements while accepting that they're a dickhead.

Either way, you repeating yourself constantly isn't going to change anyone's mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

If the worst thing I ever do in my life is take a piss on someone, it'll be a good innings. You'd swear he hit a woman or went drink driving or something, your moral compass is out of whack.

Anyway, fair play to him, still helping out with the minis and committing his time to grass roots rugby which is more than most. Thank God we are all allowed to make mistakes from time to time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

lovely bit of niggle after too, holding down all 3 french players.

Advertisement