Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long do landlords have to return a deposit?

• 03-06-2021 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I moved out 3 weeks ago, and I've tried several times to get in touch with the landlord - I think he's ducking me. How long can they legally keep the deposit for? All I can find is a vague "prompt return" with no specific guidelines as to what this means.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Exceltrup wrote: »
    I moved out 3 weeks ago, and I've tried several times to get in touch with the landlord - I think he's ducking me. How long can they legally keep the deposit for? All I can find is a vague "prompt return" with no specific guidelines as to what this means.

There are no specific guidelines. Raise a dispute with the RTB and let him know that you have done so. You can always cancel it if needs be

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭slystallone

Did you go down the RTB route here as am having a similar situation myself.

I think your question is probably for @Exceltrup rather than me. My advice would be as above - open a case now and you can cancel it if needed. I've had to go down that route before, it's pretty straightforward so long as you have all your paperwork in order

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭slystallone

The only thing is in my case that I rented through an agent and now the agent is very slow to hand over contact details of the landlord to let us sort it out. When RTB requested landlord's phone number from the agent they were told there could be potential GDPR issues in handing over the number. I only have landlord's name on my contract and no other contact details of the landlord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭black & white

It depends on the condition of the house during walkthrough/handover, when I had tenants leaving if all looked well and we agreed on ESB reading, I usually gave them a cheque within a week, on 2 occasions I was stiffed when they FO'd without paying last months rent and only once did I not return the deposit, the house was wrecked and eventually needed just over 16k to bring it back to standard.

If you left the house in a reasonable condition, the landlord should return the money within a week or so (IMHO) if he needs to get estimates from tradesmen then understandably that may take longer. From the evasiveness of the agent as you described, you're going have to go official with it I'd say.

• Advertisement

You can name the agent in the RTB dispute rather than the LL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

When I was renting abroad it was as much as 8 weeks after moving out.

In Ireland the most I ever had to wait for my deposit was one month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭ted1

a week is a bit to soon as you want to make sure all bills et. are cleared

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭black & white

In my cases ESB bins and internet were in tenants name so the debt would follow them, not me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Did the lease state bills had to be cleared. Even if they are in the tenants name they do tend to harass the landlord.

• Advertisement
Advertisement