Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

You could argue that if you're going to pay minimum wage in certain parts of the UK then you should be forced to provide accommodation, such is the price of rent. Or, you know, raise the minimum wage and provide cheaper accommodation for people in general. Since many vested interests are doing so well out of the dysfunctional housing market, I can't see that happening. And they keep voting for the Tories in General Elections, so there is no incentive to change.

The downside of employer-provided accommodation, however, is that it is a big disincentive to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭PommieBast

For all its faults the UK property market seems a lot more functional than the Irish one. At least they are actually building things..

Interestingly enough one of the schools in my home-town actually has staff accommodation, but yes it is still a rare thing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I suppose you have to hand it to the Government; they are, in quite a methodical, fastidious and determined way, ruining everything about this country, one damn thing at a time. I mean it's a terrible thing to behold, but you can't fault their ambition.

A comment on digitalspy about selling off Channel 4. But it could be about so many different things.

The Govt continues to cover themselves in glory

Government LGBT adviser resigns over conversion therapy row

Ex-government ethics chief Helen MacNamara admits to lockdown party fine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Rishi Sunak's downfall in the past few weeks has been pretty spectacular. First there was the disastrous round of interviews that he gave after his Spring statement and now there's the news that his own wife is a tax dodger (using a non-dom status for tax purposes). I'm not naïve - i know that almost all people with her sort of wealth do this sort of thing but her husband is the minister responsible for taxation - it's not a good look!

Mind you the bookies still have him as favourite to be the next party leader but that's probably more an indication of the lack of serious contenders within the cabinet. All in all, good news for Johnson really.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,698 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya just saw this now too. Much like Farage and his immigrant wife Sunak can happily support "hostile environment" immigration policy while his own wife isn't even a UK citizen. These drawbridge pullers are something I find particularly disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,071 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The whole lot should be turfed out based on their performance in the "Homes for Ukraine" programme. I'm being generous by calling it that, more like a 'get our names in the media but actually accomplish nothing.'

Laughable. 32000 Visa applications, 4700 approved. Ireland's housing more refugees from Ukraine and we're less than 1/10th the UK population.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Fasano

She isn't a tax dodger though is she? her shares and investments are in India and she pays tax in India on those investments. If she were domicilled in the UK for tax, then she would be effectively paying tax twice, in India and the UK.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

You must not have the same idea of tax dodging.

If she was domiciled in the UK for tax purposes then she would be due to pay UK tax on her taxable income. Whether she pays tax in India is neither here nor there, as there could be a tax treaty - or not.

The question is whether her non-dom status is genuine or not. Does she spend more than 183 days outside of the UK in a tax year, and does she have a domicile in the UK? Given her husband is presumable not a non-dom (but with this lot, I would be surprised at nothing) and she presumably lives with him in at least one of their UK mansions - I think that might bring the non-dom status into question.

In politics, it would take a lot of explaining, and when you are explaining, you are losing.

That is only the visas issued under that scheme. over 25,000 have been issued in total so far. Still proportionally far less than Ireland though.

Whats worst of all is how much some people in the UK btch and moan about their "massive refugee crisis" when all the numbers show it's tiny compared to the Mediterranean countries. At least with the Ukrainians people seem upset at the utterly poor job being done to play their part in the crisis.

• Advertisement

A pathetically small amount. Listening to LBC this a.m., seems like if you bring in a Ukrainian relative who is a refugee, you're not able to claim the 350 pound allowance. Just more pettiness by the horror that is the Home Office in this government.

Local flavor: A friend (UK citizen who lives in Ireland) recently needed to renew his UK passport. Sent it in well in advance following the instructions from the website as he's done in the past. Days go by, tracking shows passport has arrived. But, nothing on the website. Calls them up. After a myriad of attempts to get ahold of someone living via the phone system, he's told that as his phone call originates from Ireland, there's nothing they can do wrt tracking his passport - they apparently have a process for that, which they would not start. He's first asked if had a relative in the UK who could originate the call(!), and if not, try again around 7p.m. right before they close, there might be someone available then that can help.

This is a British citizen born and raised in the UK that can't renew a passport nor have enquiries about it answered because of where he's physically located. Amazing. What a shower of clowns is the current UK Government.

Edit: I saw that article that states 25000 visas issued. I don't believe it - it's too precise a number for one thing, and why should we believe anything coming out of the Home Office? other stories talk about how complex the visa application process is (one described the web experience as 'Kafkaesque', another caller to LBC talked about how you'd need a command of English at a high level as the website was *English only*). Let alone web access for a prolonged period of time. Laughable. A refugee programme in name only

It gets worse. They are not even allowed to work for the first three months.

They are differing schemes. the £350 is for people who open their homes to refugees, not for people applying under the family visa process. I thought that was pretty obvious.

I'm not sure what the rest of your post has to do with Ukraine, are Ukrainian refugees applying for passports or something?

My point is, the Immigration bureau (the Home Office) is laughable in their ineptitude, and, "Never attribute to incompetence what's due to malice.' Live as a UK citizen in a EU country, sure, why not make it difficult to renew your passport? Nothing to do with Ukraine.

In the emergency, the 350 can help the family members. My point is, it's not like the UK is being generous.

This isn't the Ukraine thread. His post doesn't have to just be about Ukraine.

it just seemed random. I corrected the point about the number of visas, the poster then went off on a rant about passports for British citizens living in Ireland.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The UK and India have a double taxation agreement so she never be paying tax twice.

The best that can be said is that she going out of her way to actively avoiding paying tax to the UK government even though she is married to the nations' top tax collector.

So she isn’t dodging paying tax, she is paying it in India, where the actual company she has shares in is based and the country of which she is a citizen

it seems her biggest crime is being the daughter a billionaire.

i always find it unsavoury when the press go after an MP’s spouse like this.

Im gonna hazard a guess you wouldn't give a sht if it wasn't a Tories wife.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Of course she could defuse the whole question by just volunteering to pay the £20 million pounds a year she is is avoiding by relying on the non-dom status to avoid the British tax. After all, it was not compulsory to avail of the benefits of the non-dom status.

Besides, she is so rich she would hardly notice it.

was that directed at me, Capt Midnight, Sam Russell or Igotadose, or yourself?

If she wasn't the wife of the chancellor, no one would give a **** and it wouldn't be discussed on a politics forum, so other than a bit of blatant ad hominem, I really fail to see your point.

that £20m figure is a total figure over the duration of the time she has lived in the UK, not per year and is an estimated figure from the Guardian.

are you saying that because she is rich, she should pay tax in India and the UK or are you saying that the British revenue should benefit from taxing dividends of an Indian company?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,165 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The only people to whom this is relevant are the daughters of billionaires, figuratively speaking.

She pays £30,000 a year, every year, to qualify for non-domiciled status, which means that she saves tax of at least this amount by being non-domiciled - otherwise it would be cheaper just to be taxed as if domiciled in the UK.

So, this women has income in India that is taxed in India and that, if taxed in the UK as well, would qualify for double taxation relief under the UK-India Double Taxation Agreement. So the £30,000 doesn't mean she has Indian income which would attract UK tax of £30,000; it means she has Indian income which, after a full credit is given for Indian tax paid at the full rate, would still attract UK tax of £30,000. You'd need to research Indian and UK tax rates and do the sums, but that is a serious amount of income.

In other words, this is a UK tax break that is available only to the seriously wealthy. If you're just Joe Blow, an Indian citizen who resides in the UK but had income in India from, say, a share in the family farm, or letting out the house you inherited from your parents, you don't get the benefits of this tax break. Unless it's going to save you more than £30,000 in UK tax, you don't get this.

Fine. She is super-wealthy, so naturally she avails of a tax break for the super wealthy. But this creates a number of political problems for her husband, the first of which is that all this calls attention to the fact that he presides over a tax system that offers special tax breaks to the super wealthy, who simply folk like you and me might think are the people least in need of special tax breaks. The second problem is that she's his wife; he presides over a tax system that offers tax breaks to people who don't appear to need them but who include his wife. And the third problem is that, the statement she has put out raises suspicions that, on a correct view of the matter, she's not entitled to the tax break. (There's a bit more to qualifying than being fabulously wealthy and paying a fee of £30,000.) And, if it turns out that, indeed, she's not entitled to it, questions then arise as to how she got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,165 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

UK residents are generally liable to tax on their worldwide income, with credit for tax paid abroad and relief under any applicable double taxation agreements. The relevant factor here is not that she's rich; it's that she's a UK resident.

But the break she gets for being non-domiciled - she only gets that because she's rich. Are you defending a tax break availlable only to the rich?

so money she makes from the shares her father gave her, shares in an Indian multinational company which operates out of India and employs tens of thousands of people in India, should be taxed by the UK because.....they can?

Likw I said earlier, her biggest crime seems to be a billionaires daughter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Considering they are married he is avoiding tax essentially as much as she is. It is relevant.

@Fasano

UK residents are generally liable to tax on their worldwide income, with credit for tax paid abroad and relief under any applicable double taxation agreements. The relevant factor here is not that she's rich; it's that she's a UK resident.

The last thing the Conservatives need is yet another us-and-the-rest. Think Zac Goldsmith eventually gave up his non-dom status because even he could see it would not go down well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,070 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I didn't realise her/their money came from owning Infosys. I'm amazed they have anything, they are the most useless shower of 'outsourcers' that I've ever come across, and there has been some competition.

• Advertisement

He was actually a British citizen and a peer though, so slightly different.

It won't make a difference to the general populace though. As this thread shows, as long as there is a plausible story about the wealthy and their tax arrangements, the plebs will see it as "Tax Dodging".

Advertisement