Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picard 2x06 - 'Two of One' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

• 07-04-2022 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

Picard 2x06 - 'Two of One' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Warning: This thread will contain spoilers for the episode. Spoiler tags will not be used, so if you don't want to be spoiled read no further.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I'll skip to the end to a bit that has the potential to annoy me. It looks like a setup for one of those "wandering around someones subconcious" episodes. Never like those and I really hope that's something they'll waste one of the last four episodes on.

I think the reveal that Soji (or whatever her name is here) was bred as a genetic experiment could have been revealed a bit earlier, and it's frankly unbelievable that this would be the first time she googles her father.

I like parts of the episode, but I don't think it gelled at all for me. I like Rios and his fascination with the matches. Jurati submitting herself to the Borg queen, which has always the Queen has sought, submission rather than assimilation, was interesting, though go away with the singing, and an inspirational Picard speech. It was a bit of a leap to think that a man could get hit by a car, outside a large fancy ball, and they could sneak him away to an illegal doctor rather than be surrounded by ambulances. The setup for that needed a bit more thought.

Overall it was grand, not great, not bad. Probably an episode that works better if you're bingeing through the series. Though that entirely depends on the next episode. While I think the red letter media guys are a bit harsh, the episode really did support their point that there are too many moving parts for the protagonists. The Borg Queen, Q, Soong, future Borg Queen. If they do spend the next episode in Picards head that only leaves three episodes to fix the Jurati/Queen situation, get Renee Picard into space, fix the Soji/Soong situation, work out the Q problem and what's wrong with him, fix the timeline, and deal with future Borg Queen. The series has been quite strong to date, I just hope they stick the landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭sioda

Not the best episode tbh still very watchable though.

Loved the resuscitation scene he's had transplants all of them 🤣 and the poor defibrillator.

Alison Pill wow never knew she could sing loved the comment about the dress. It plays right back to BSG 6's attire when she is in Baltars head.

How did Laris know about a mind meld?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭corkie

@sioda

How did Laris know about a mind meld?

Tallinn as 'The Watcher' not 'Laris', think she was referring to the method she used to control people in earlier episode and not 'Mind Meld'. Even when referring to it as such. 'Jury rigged mind meld'

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Again a decent enough episode. All the individual plot threads keep steadily advancing.

The song was a cheesy story beat though. But at least it's made more palatable by the nasty sting in the tail when the queen shows her hand.

There's another plot point that seems to be hinted at yet, which is what really happened to Picard's mother. It looks like that's being queued up as the big reveal for next week.

Yeah, the Picards mother thing I'm really curious about. I paused during the flashback and it looks like she was dragged away by some form of vampire or zombie? My guess is that the zombie, or whatever it was, was actually some medical professional taking his mother for psychiatric care. He did mention in this episode that she also suffered from some form of depression.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I presume his imagination/childhood memory is turning into something more supernatural. But this is probably masking something else traumatic, maybe suicide or murder by the father?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Are ye guys watching this on prime...no new episode showing for me on prime

• Registered Users Posts: 20,878 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Usually appears on Prime about midday Friday. Seems to be a lot of Americans/people with American cousins posting here :pac:

The American cousin is fantastic, the VHS was in the post by 7:30!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Well... Los Angeles is getting assimilated.. which is only fair given the lack of assimilation so far.

Last episode I started getting inklings that this isn't really about Picards ancestor. Soong certainly seems to be taking a lot of space in the season already given his role at the moment and his statue in the future. Not sure exactly where they are going with it. Androids/AI yeah maybe but also maybe on Eugenics either. I dunno.

Holodeck at the back of my mind the whole time too.

On a side note, all the ladies at the ball were distractingly gorgeous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭eadrom

I liked that. Slow enough in terms of plot progression but I thought the character moments were pretty good.

I'm a bit conflicted with the Borgs Queen being the main source of fun in these episodes but I'm warming to it. Was enjoyable enough.

I think I just liked this one for having less going on, too. Most of the characters are actually interesting enough to spend some time with.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,226 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I'm struggling to see what the point of that very short episode was - was pretty bored the whole way thru it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

"Laris" also spoke Romulan at one point according to the subtitles I had on. So I guess if she knows that then she knows what a mind meld is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Not a great episode and it looks like next week's episode will not be so great either. It was doing good up to this. Hopefully the last three episodes will be better.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

On a side note, all the ladies at the ball were distractingly gorgeous!

I couldnt stop noticing this. Was glad Jurati pointed it out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I really liked this one but am very worried about "entering the mind" episodes. Always tedious in TV and computer games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭pah

Fans - we don't want crazy stupid action stuff this is Picard, the diplomat, the speaker, we want to know how his mind works.

Writers - mmm'kay

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Evade

Bit of an eh episode again this week. Picard's advice to Renée was very Picard like though which was nice and Harvey-Queen is interesting but you have to wonder why not just assimilate Jurati and get it over with. Rios commenting that he had a real cigar hints that the ones he has in the future might be some kind of synthabacco. I still feel that a lot of the events in episodes 3-6 have been padded out to make it to ten episodes.

I'm predicting that the doctor and Kore will be brought to the future with the rest of the crew in the finale.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Really poor stuff if you ask me. Lots of what appeared to be audio inserted after the fact with Tallinn saying certain lines while her back was to the camera - "then we won't have to worry about the cameras" just in case we forgot last episodes setup, "at least we got Rene to quarantine" - during a conversation about where Jurati was and so on.

Lots of silly moments:-

The classic scan of ID works just in the nick of time done terribly.

Jurati has a band ready to go. Hmmm.

"It'll be quicker to get back going outside" - we may have been in the lobby of the building but we need to go outside so you can get hit by a car.

The doctor saying "Everybody out" was so badly delivered I almost laughed.

Security just wanted to block off Picard? I mean if they were trying to kick him out it shouldn't taken more than a couple of seconds.

This show is on a serious slide.

I would quibble a little on the security thing. As the security holding Jurati commented, they could be wealthy and sue-happy, and hence they're reluctant to lay hands on an attendee.

The ID thing was a tired trope, but the details on the ID were all easter eggs, such as Santiago Cabreros real birth date, and references to past Trek actors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭Rawr

It was alright, but about on par with the last one. I would like them to get to the damned point with Picard’s mother in the next one (getting a little sick of the flashback tease).

One thing that stuck in my mind this time was how effectively menacing Brent Spiner can be when he’s going for that. He’d make for a great primary villain if they had gone that way. If I were to re-do this season, I’d have been tempted to keep them in the Earth Confederation, and have Spiner play some kind of despotic Emperor of the Humans. You could even have him as a corrupted evil Data, who attained his humanity (aging and all) and went further to claim the universe for his beloved species. Evil, but also kind of good and justified in his own head. You could then have Picard having to come to terms with fighting someone he once knew as an honorable defender of people etc…

That’s what went through my mind watching this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,878 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Spiner played a villain of sort in Season 4 of Enterprise (yet another Soong ancestor) and was brilliant at it. Menacing and frightening while at the same time displaying regret and empathy over his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,190 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I enjoyed it.

Was fast spaced and enjoyed Picard pep talk.

Borg Queen was cool and was getting resident evil vibes at the end with the red dress (Red Queen in the Hive under Raccoon city)

Matches were funny. Characters felt alive.

Raffi is still annoying and just plain unlikeable.

Into the mind of Picard, may we see some Ent-D, Stargazer?

Needs more Q

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Yeah and the way they finished the story arc was good. Soong believing humans could not be saved, but maybe articifical life could be the way forward.

Q are the humans of the Confederation Augments?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Overall I enjoyed the ep. and how worst can it get as the "new" Borg Queen walks down a street in LA. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Evade

If they were that would mean the main cast have augment bodies now and they, so far, haven't shown any of the typical enhanced abilities.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I didn’t feel it at all. Non specific dislike.

Except for the song, I hated that.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

About the best I can say is that I enjoyed this one more than the previous two episodes. Fingers crossed for next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,777 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You'll love this then... original video for Shadows of the Night, complete with Bill Paxton as a Nazi in a bonkers concept.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement