Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ed Sheeran tickets as a gift - not really possible ?

Options
  • 24-09-2021 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Am I understanding it correctly that it is not possible to purchase Ed Sheeran tickets as a gift unless you also attend the gig yourself - seems bizarre?

I understand and fully agree with the attempts to cut out ticket touts but surely there should have been an option to specify the recipients name on the ticket order as opposed to just using the purchaser of the tickets as the default attendee.

In my case I was going to buy as a christmas present for my sister (married so different surname) but does not seem like an option unless I spend another €100 and actually go myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

They seem to be serious about it this time. I wonder if you book under the persons name would that be a way around it?? they are going on about photocopyinf ID and cc details which comes with its own issues. I'm surprised they are suggesting that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭HBC08

They will never check names against IDs for any big event.Its just not possible from a time and crowd control point of viewm

People would need to be coming in 12 hours before it started to be able to do this and even then it wouldnt work.Its cropped up loads of times over the years at lots of events I was at and has never happened.

Just one example, the Euros in 2016,very high tension and security issues before it kicked off because of terror attacks leading up to it.People freaking out because somebody else's name was on tickets,no issue.Loads of other instances.

To summarise buy her the tickets,it won't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

The added security here seems to be that the ticket is only linked to your phone and the ticketmaster App so its not just the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭Zardoz

As said above they won't be checking names on the tickets, its logistically not feasible.

You could buy the tickets on your account then just give your sister the login details for the event.

Or create a new account and buy the tickets on that and give her the login details.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

How would they check the card details?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

Whatever they are doing it is different to what was done before.

My guess is this app will only display the tickets on a phone that receives the verification SMS to the number that was used at purchase. From the ticket scanning perspective the "verification" of who has the ticket is done already. They are just scanning a QR. The App to phone relationship is what is used to get the tickets. You could buy tickets and give someone your phone for the night it sounds like but that's a huge pain. If Jimmy door scanner will accept a screenshotted QR code or not would probably define if the thing will work or not. A time limited QR code is probably the way to tackle that.

Until we've gotten a good look at it I wouldn't bet on any previous ID locked events as precedence here.

Edit: it isn't entirely clear that they are using this for the Irish dates. Someone who bought a ticket able to say if there was any mention of Eventim?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Can't find a thread for Ed Sheerans upcoming tour (not sure there is/was one) but with him doing the warm up shows In Dublin particularly the smaller of the 2 in Whelans in a few weeks time, god help the security working the gigs as I can imagine big fans queuing up to catch a glimpse/autographs etc

Lucky enough to have been on TM at the right time last week and picked up a ticket to the Vicar Street show. Not attending any of the stadium shows so have no expectations of the gig. Will the warm up shows just be him and his guitar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭1992ChainGang

He has been doing similar smaller shows in the UK over the past while and videos on Youtube look like there's a drummer anyway, not sure if anything else but I think the drums make a good difference.

The tickets for the vicar street show are available on your TM app now. You will get texted a code to unlock them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Aiken the cheapskate, support for the Irish gigs announced as Maisie Peters and Denise Chaila.

May as well have no support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Don't know Peters, but Denise Chaila is a great act.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭hynesie08

So, the main support act for his entire tour and one of the hottest new acts in Irish music in years? Seems exactly the same as every other show he's doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Quickly disappeared after, They could of been running a test or something

My heart goes out to the security working the Whelans gig, poor Ed will have to try go in and out of a fire exit or something

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭hynesie08

He's played several of these warm up gigs in places smaller than Whelan's and it's never been an issue, Also traditionally Irish people don't really do the stage door thing.

Any recommendations of decent cheapish pubs near vicar street ?

Think show is starting at 7pm so won't have much time to drink

Afaik for tonight and tomorrow Doors 6pm with show starting at 7pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Ya, that's what it say on ticket. Presume there is some support outfit on first so. I can't see Ed Sheeran coming on stage at 7 or 7.30, and playing for 3 or 4 hours. I have tickets for Vicar St for tomorrow night. Know a few people heading to Whelans tonight so I'll get the lowdown on stage times. Don't want to get caught up in the hysterics of queueing at 7 o'clock, if no action till 9.

#Tonight ED SHEERAN plays a sold out intimate show at Whelan’s as part of his Irish Stadium Tour 2022.

Doors 6pm

Luz Corrigan 7:15pm

Ed Sheeran 8pm

https://www.whelanslive.com/event/ed-sheeran/

Aiken Promotions Warner Music Ireland

Nice to have a support act, imagine it's the same for Vicar Street tomorrow. Looking forward to it, not going to any of the stadium shows so this could be my only time seeing him live

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. That's brill will head in for around 7.45 so. He prob won't be on till 8.30 anyway.

I'm same as you. Never saw him live. Like his main tunes though. Might go to Croke Park on Saturday if I get a ticket on the cheap.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I saw Ed a few years ago in PUC and was a bit indifferent about the show. That was a good show tonight, great cover of The Blower's Daughter as well. We showed up at 7.30 and the place was jammed.

Thank you. Looking forward to it. Just one last question - approx what time did he take to the stage.

I was passing Vicar St this morning. Say about 20 people hanging around outside. Looked like they were getting ready to queue for this evening. I'd it will be mayhem tonight.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

He went on stage bang on 8. We showed up well after most people to the concert and still had a good view from the back.

I'll be staying at the back tonight, feck that. Looking forward to the gig, no expectations really and it's amazing seeing such a big star in a small venue

Jesus Damien Rice that is a name I didn't hear in years

Denise Chaila support tonight!

amazing!!

It'll be grand, front row will be manic, rest should be chill

Is that a big thing?

Not into today's hip music

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Advertisement