Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clearing off mortgage... next steps?

• 07-04-2022 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

I'm planning to pay off my mortgage this month, so just want to double-check what the steps are and what I should do after (plus any things I need to be aware of).

My plan is:

• Get the final figure from the bank
    • Pay off the remainder in a lump sum around 2 weeks before next mortgage direct debit usually hits (around 1st of May)... (it will probably take a few days for this to close)
    • Cancel the mortgage direct debit from my current account (to be extra sure)
    • Close off the life assurance policy (I have no one that would benefit from it... was only required for the mortgage so won't need it any longer)
    • Cancel the life assurance direct debit (to be extra sure)
    • Ask for the deeds to be posted to me from the bank

That's it as far as I know ... do I need to register anything with an authority? Do I need to get a lawyer involved?

I haven't spoken to the lawyer since I bought my house years ago, but should I get a copy of the deeds to the lawyer?

Anything else?

Comments

Advertisement