Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Story with Bowman?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Hambinis trying to sell something quite expensive that he makes, hence why he goes in so hard.

He's using a bit of his knowledge and combining it with jargon and good old fashioned snake oil sales patter to make people think they need his stuff, and it's only for the most anal of people anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I particularly dislike his go to "some people don't like the way I talk because I have Autism schtick". It's all BS to get away with being an absolute scumbag of the highest order. He is scum and in a more just world would be facing a judge, a fine and some jail time for his behaviour. I had watched a few of his videos in the past but it's all BS and he seen a way to sell overpriced stuff to people willing to pay for overpriced stuff, and then made the leap that a lot of these were scumbags and therefore being a scumbag would help this.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭gmacww

I remember seeing one video he did where he said the frame inside and out was a work of art. It’s the only video he ever seemed to be happy. I checked the frame online and the cheapest I could find was €8.5k. For the FRAME. ON SALE!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTDQ9vtoxTo&t=1s

Hambini video out today.

Regardless of your opinion on him, it's worth a watch for anyone that has a Bowman. Surprisingly objective and factual by his previous standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭ARX

I don't know anything about welding, but the video has quite a few comments saying that it's rubbish. Any welders on here who can comment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭cletus

I've done a bit of welding, and it looks about as good as the quality of my welds (read: shîte)

There definitely shouldn't be pinholes, and the bead is very inconsistent, which probably means there isn't full penetration.

I'll show some stills to a friend of mine who fabricates motorcycle frames, exhausts, tanks etc.

The closest I've ever some to welding something it to watch someone else do it on youtube. He does show welding on a specialized frame by way of comparison and the difference is significant, even to someone that hasn't a clue what they're looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Speaking of welding there was a very good programme on the bbc tv last week about a company making folding bikes.

Think it was this one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07pmyd6

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Alexzont

My bowman frame cracked at the weld down around the bottom bracket, so I can attest that the welding is shite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

As a young lad I worked in Medite in the late 90's during a maintenance shut down, where there was two rival mechanical contractors working side by side.

My foreman was walking past the work of his rival and threw his eye over the welding and said "it'll be fine I suppose, nothing a coat of lumpy paint wouldn't fix"

"Grinder and paint,

Make me the welder I ain't"

Ok, I had only gotten about 20 minutes into the video. I've now gotten to the point where he has cut the frame up. I don't need to send stills of that to my mate. That welding is awful. It would be awful by amateur standards. I can weld better than that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Jeez. I'm glad I got my refund before it all went t1ts up.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Just watched it myself. I do a bit of aluminium on various bits of cars and motorbikes and I have to agree, the quality of tube notching and welding on that frame is diabolical. It highlights a bit about the links between lots of websites / magazines / reviewers etc. all talking up products based n who knows what really, best buddies, backhanders, sponsorship etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

He is entirely correct about the cycling media & YouTubers - it is so rare these days to see a negative review (and almost impossible with the British brand / British media combination). On a very rare occasion they might take off one star due to the price but that is all

Call me an annoying left wing, but I won't give him the clicks after he hunted down that journalist, stalked her and made threats. Every click is money in his pocket so unfortunately, I'll have to figure out from the comments here that the welding was sh1te rather than watch his rubbish for 20 minutes to say sometihng you could cover in under 5.

From Neil Webb's LinkedIn page it appears that he went from brand manager and technical writer to bike designer. How does someone with apparently no significant technical or engineering background start designing frames?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was thinking the same thing. no matter how correct he might be in this case, i'm not supporting his channel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Which is mad because he really really does not response to valid criticism himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭fat bloke

One thing I can't understand is how the bikes were so damn nice to ride. I still miss riding mine. You'd have thought a hastily bodged together misaligned series of tubes would ride like a dog.

What does he think of mainstream alooominum bikes from the major manufacturers? I've never heard any reviewers gushing about Giant Contends and the likes.

There's the CAAD range of course but is Hambini similarly defacatory on them? :)

Giant Contends aren't artisanal.

Apropos welding, I remember reading that Ferrari had a reputation for sloppy welding. I found these pictures taken at the Ferrari museum. As I said, I know nothing about welding, but these look a bit crappy: https://imgur.com/a/5e61w

I think he has undoubtedly shat all over Cannondale's (at least at one point in time) notoriously bad QC on BB30 shells. Wouldn't keep track of all his stuff, got tired of watching them after a while, but don't recall him ever taking an alu bike apart like that.

I watched a couple of his videos, they popped up in my feed before I knew anything about him.

I found them hard work, to be honest, even if he knows his stuff from a technical standpoint. As a result, I don't bother with his videos anymore, but when I saw the Bowman video, I wanted to see what the story was, especially in light of the company going bust, and our own fat bloke's ongoing saga.

Those Ferrari welds aren't great, either...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

TBH, its not that difficult in many cases. Pick an Asian firm already bulk fabricating frames in the material of your choice. If you want to "indiviualise" the design, pick angles based on the more-highly rated similar frames already on the market. Choose features based on what t'internet regards as the must-haves for that type of bike - headset bearing size, through axles, tyre clearance, BB standard, mudguard eyes etc. Then leave it to the engineers at the subcontractor to sort out the design and fabrication details. No different to personally speccing a one-off titanium frame from one of the Chinese suppliers.

There's more than Bowman taking this approach, and not just for frames either.

(One British firm did take a little more "hands-on" approach with the design where I suspect that they may have overruled the reservations of the fabricator engineers. The end result was their occasional "special offers" of cheap sample frames where it transpired they'd made some giant balls-up of a design detail)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

They probably had the geometry well planned out and aligned in the jig but just blasted through the welds. Or else all the pinholes were giving you enough flex to make it a lovely ride!

Flow straightener (I think) from one of the display engines at the Ferrari museum..

He hates Cannondale (from memory)and sh1t on them as a point when I first heard of him, giving out about their QC tolerance limits. The truth is though, they work, are well regarded and despite his reservations, you don't hear that many people giving out about them. Most modern BBs are designed with the ability to take those slightly wider QC tolerances, I imagine part of his issue is that his machined ones probably have little to no give in them so rather than accept that bikes aren't going to have as tight tolerances as maybe they should (which would lead to higher costs), he then has a product that isn't fit for purpose for a wide variety of frames.

As for asll the welding talk, my Dad done alot of welding (I can do a bit but not good at it) and liked it to look neat but the key component to a good weld wasn't its appearance, it is whether or not it would hold up in working conditions for what the item was designed to do. Everything else is just niceties, and such things are usually a sign the worker is good/diligent and therefore most likely the rest of the job was good but also, just because it looks nasty, doesn't mean it is.

So basically he picked a bunch of options from a menu? 'Design' makes it sound like he sat down with a CAD program and y'know, designed it. From scratch like.

• Advertisement

Not saying that was specifically the case with Bowman, but "design" can have a lot of meanings. Even the person driving the CAD program isn't necessarily the "designer" in the sense that you mean it - they may just be a draftsperson, working to instructions from an engineer. And to close the loop, the initial designer, who doesn't do the actual mechanical engineering design but instructs the engineer, may bring a lot of valid experience in the specification of the item. Picking a bunch of options from a menu only works if you know what those options bring to the product.

Advertisement