Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Food Safety

• 05-04-2022 1:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭

Not only is food getting more expensive, it seems like these recalls happen more frequently all over Europe. I am wondering what is causing it and what could be done about it. This is the most recent one:

So far I've managed to dodge the bullet... Haven't had a Kinder Surprise egg in years and years but this year felt like being a big kid again and decided to try one. Now I'm reading the one I ate a couple of weeks ago might have been contaminated. So far no symptoms and I think it's unlikely there will be. But who knows how long it will be until there will be another announcement of some batch of food items being potentially hazardous to health and often it's only announced when it's too late to return it.

I'm also hearing some pretty appalling reactions from the brands themselves after families have contacted them. It doesn't really make you feel better if you get those few cents back as a refund when your kid is in the hospital and sick for a week or longer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,066 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I am wondering what is causing it and what could be done about it.

I'd recommend starting by compiling recall notices and analyzing each of them for the reasons why each recall is issued. There any number of reasons recalls may come and go at seemingly stochastic intervals and frequencies. That fact in itself isn't enough context to reasonably conclude the recalls aren't happening within a range for completely unrelated and explained reasons, or if eg. there is a correlation that indicates a failure in a food or product safety regulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭ShayNanigan

Well I can't disagree with that. I know the reasons behind them could be various things from contaminated raw materials to failures and cross-contamination in manufacture, storage and simple human errors.

The case with Kinder salmonella is spreading now to several countries (and they've expanded the list of products and best before dates) and it seems to be a strange one. The manufacturer claims they have not been able to find a cause or extract the bacteria from their products, yet there's now cases found in addition to Ireland in the UK, Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands and Sweden. Italy is investigating whether they have cases too. But seems a bit peculiar for such a bacteria to be in chocolate eggs (milk?) but it's not the first time though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Food is not staying as fresh as it was before the pandemic

Advertisement