Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good hill training areas around Dublin?

Options
  • 15-03-2022 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭

Something Im trying to improve, looking for routes that are short enough , ie drop the car, have a warm up of ~1k then attack the hill or incline. , one I had been doing was N11 up past Deer Park. Killiney Hill from Vico road will be next. Another route that should be good is Lamb Doyle’s up past the Blue light, any others similar, where either there is a decent footpath or very quiet in traffic terms?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Wottle

I know Peter Mathews used to use Kilmashogue lane back in his day and I've seen plenty of other runners use it over the years. No paths but it is quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

Phoenix Park is always good for hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I do Killiney hill from the roundabout at Bayview Ballybrack, go up the steps to the obelisk and down Vico into Dalkey passed castle st then up Dalkey ave and to that loop again. Go up to the car park for more incline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭py

There's a new Tesco on Stocking Avenue where you could park. Then up Stocking avenue and down Stocking Lane. Back up and do the reverse. Paths on both approaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Howth is your only man. Hills of all types from tiddly leg tiring to torture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

if you go off-road there are loads of possibilities. That's where you'll find the steepest slopes. And the most fun!

If you're confining yourself to roads, you could try parking in Johnny foxes, with a few options from there. Down to the devil's elbow (Barrack road) and back up being a pretty good intense section (For more fun, you could carry on across the border into Dragon country (Wicklow) with another short sharp hill to greet you immediately (Bridge road). For a long out and back you carry on and hit "The wall". You won't get steeper than that.

You could park in Ticknock and run on the tarred road up to the masts That's about as traffic-free as you're going to get. Or park down near Taylors and run up Keelystown road, and then into Ticknock.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

funnily enough I cycled up the Devil's Elbow 2 weeks back and its nasty ;-) , I remember there is a nice forest path on the Enniskerry to Glencree road, it goes up to Prince William seat, so would certainly be happy doing something like that

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭dingbat

There are loads around Killiney Hill, for variety's sake, and all very safe. If you're interested in pure vertical then adding Whiterock beach is good value for money. Once you're down there, go straight up the steps then left onto Vico Road then up the trail to join the steps to the Obelisk. You get a lot of climbing in. Also up and down Dalkey hill, using both the steps and the track. Finally, on the other side of Killiney hill there's a footpath through Killiney golf club from the golf club car park straight up to a couple of points including Glenalua road. It's a nice change of pace and terrain.

Advertisement