Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re Looking for help with competency interviews

Options
  • 27-02-2022 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi I have alot of experience in the County Council over 20 years and my team leader said im well able,but I didnt get on the panel in my own council for the Staff officer job as i wasnt use to the compentency style interview as i had taken career breaks and hadnt done an interview in a long time.

I have a preliminary interview now soon for Fingal .Has any one had an interview with them.

Any tips greatly appreciated .Ive started doing research on their council.and im.going to really work on compentencies this time and job spec etc

But if any one has advice or tips from prior interviews at staff officer level with them .Id appreciate it .

Mìle buìochas

Post edited by Mytimetoshine22 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

There was a small thread recently which touched on competency based interviews here: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118487904

Have a look.

Have a look on Reddit for common competency based interview questions and example answers.

Try find a way of using the STAR method but I dont think you have to be rigid with it (which held me back before) - I now try to lead or preface an answer with an opinion before tying it in wih my experiece. It gives you a chance to think and recall - it also makes you seem more relaxed.

So the question might be:

How do you organise your workload?

"I think its very important to use a,b,c priority lists to ensure that I have small achievable tasks or goals set for each day. It keeps me on track. For example, when I was leading out on the blah blah project I used this method to make sure......."

Review the spec. Try to get 2 answers per competency. Rehearse and practice your answers loads. Your prep will give you confidence. Personally the interviews I've had ample prep time for have been my best interviews - to an extent that I now think I won't take short notice interviews (competency based ones at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Mytimetoshine22

Thanks so much for this

I like how you give a lead in first as it gives you time to think.in.my last interview i had all the theory so this really helps . Yes i agree not alot of time but hopefully it will go ok

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Supermeg123

Hi how did you get on with the interview? I recently had one and was placed 6th on the panel, I’m not really sure what that means…

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Maxface

Just on this, does anyone have any recommendations for someone that can assist in interview prep and application prep. I have googled and a few appear but hard to know who is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

It means there are 5 candidates ahead of you.

Depending on the number of positions to fill you should/could have an offer in a couple of weeks. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

Carr Communications are usually good. Mock interviews with APs/POs if you can arrange it are good experience too as you'll get good feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Maxface

Advertisement