Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

If they can't do it, they can't do it and it should go out to tender. We can't have a situation where the country's held to ransom by one company, be it state owned or not.

UK companies / sellers shipping to every possible country in Europe ... except Ireland..

What could possibly be the reason I wonder....?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mikkijan

I sometimes buy books from a very small independent publisher in the UK, and I also subscribe to their weekly newsletter.

In 11th Feb newsletter:

Mail to Ireland

We have had a real problem with sending mail to Ireland. I had hoped that it was one set of books, posted towards the end of November, which had not got through customs. But we have now had a couple of FOCS magazines returned, together with a book.

Only one person in Ireland has let me know that she has received her FOCS magazine, and only one person has let me know that a book has arrived.

If you live in Ireland and have ordered a published book this year (not last year) or if you are a member of FOCS, please could you email and let me know if you have received your book or magazine or not.

The problem has only happened since late November so unless there were new rules which came in then (not earlier) which we don't know about, we feel that it must be someone with a personal spite who is returning everything. All addressee's names have been obscured. We know that the Customs Declaration form is filled out correctly, because items are getting through to other European countries.

Ann is coming very close to saying that we will not send anything to Ireland again, but I would like to do a bit of research first. What I need to do is to contact someone senior in the customs in Ireland. And this is where I need your help. Does anyone know anybody? Could someone please do some google searching and find out the correct person to speak to? Please don't think someone else can do this - if I don't get this sorted during the coming week Ann will just refuse to send mail to Ireland again. It has cost us hundreds of pounds to replace items. Obviously, if it does come to that, people will be fully re-funded.

It would also be helpful if you could share this on social media so that others who do not receive this email can also be aware of the situation. 

Mail Elsewhere Outside the UK

Mail going elsewhere does now seem to be getting through - and quickly, too. It is still very helpful if you can let us know when things arrive, or if you think something has taken too long.

In 18th Feb newsletter:

Mail to Ireland

Thank you so much for all your replies. We are now a stage further in the right direction.

First of all, several people in Ireland have let us know that their mail has arrived, both magazines and books, rather more have let us know that their mail has not arrived, and we have had about 8 packages back here. One encouraging thing that someone who last Friday had not had her Kenya, emailed a few days later to say it had just arrived.  

Many of you gave suggestions about what to do and two really helpful things have come from that. I have been given the email address of the Chairman of the Revenue Board in Ireland and have emailed him about the problem, and have had an acknowledgement to that. A proper reply will take a few days to come through.

The problem seems to be bypassed if items are sent from a Post Office, rather than being franked here. We have now sent two items via two local Post Offices, and are waiting to see if they do arrive. We still need to fill in a CN22B customs form, but that should be enough. We do not want to have to send from the PO all the time, though, as it is rather more expensive than franking and also our own PO is only open on a Monday for a few hours. (We were mis-informed that a large letter would not need a form at all - that is only correct if there is an actual letter inside.)

On checking one of the websites someone suggested we look at, Ann discovered that if you frank mail, as well as filling in the CN22B form you also need a S10 barcode. She rang our franking company, The Mailing Room, to ask why they had not told us - they had no idea of this, they had not been told - and they are the largest franking supplier in the country! However, they got hold of their PO contact, and gave me his email. He is sending me 200 (I hope) of these, and has also instructed me how to get on to the PO Website to order consumables as a business. I have got as far as registering but have had to go back to him because it will not let me order yet.

It seems all this has been a closely guarded secret, and that people have not been told which is why there have been such problems. None of the local Post Offices know.

Action we are taking - once we have these S10 barcodes, we shall send the mail we have had returned to us, and also any new mail. 

When we return from our break on Monday 28th we will re-assess the situation, and will probably have to then re-send items which have still not arrived. So, please could you email on Saturday 26th to inform us whether or not you have received your magazines or books. Don't do it before, because we won't be taking any action until Monday 28th.

Then we will give you an update on the e-newsletter of Friday 4th. 

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

UGH! I am so mad

I posted a tiny padded envelope parcel (value noted as $30/gift) from USA to my friend in Dublin. Cost me $18 to post

Posted from the Post Office in the USA. All forms filled out as usual/all correct.

Returned from An Post to me in USA with some BULLSH1T sticker on it saying Incomplete Electronic Information. Absolute and utter BULLSH1T. Cannot believe that An Post are doing this and getting away with this

An Post don't give two fcuks about their blanket rejection of items from their overly-officious "IT system" - in terms of stuff form outside the EU they want people to order from Amazon UK (with whom they have a special deal) and / or use their own redirect services.

As shown above that's why you see increasingly more sellers from places like the UK who will send to anywhere in the EU except Ireland as their experience with An Post is too costly from a time hassle and postage return rate perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Postal Headache

You're lucky you even got an explanation for the reason for rejection by An Post. Please write to TDs and the Irish media about this issue. It has been going on for months with still no resolution in sight. Even third world countries have a functioning postal service. This is seriously damaging to Ireland's reputation on the world stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I've sent a complaint in to An Post. No doubt it will go nowhere but at least I can be added to the list of complaints they have already got

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

It can take 2 months, the complaint and then another month if you decide to go through the advocate , think it was 30 days each

got an item from the UK today a month late due to it floating around inside An Post and one that An Post themselves had told me that they were going to return to the UK sender when I queried it with them.

they don't even know themselves what they are going to do next....

Oh I have no intention of going through months of red tape and bureacracy with An Post. My parcel was returned. Damage done. Lesson learned. Just wanted to add my name to the list of complaints. Won't be wasting my time going any further - there will never be a positive outcome to this. An Post just seem like they don't want to do the job they are paid to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

It seems more like they were caught wholly unprepared by the new regulations last year and don't want to invest in a better process if they can get away with it. The announcement earlier this week of increases to stamp prices was a bit of joke too. Customer service levels dropping off a cliff and then price increases to go along with it. I only just realised that the An Post CEO David McRedmond is also the chairman of Eir so it kind of makes sense that customer service standard would be so poor in both organisations.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Other way around. Introduced an automated system to process inbound parcels before the rest of the postal services were ready. I think the date to switch it over is March 2023

Today's Newsletter from Girls Gone By Publishers in the UK. It seems ridiculous that they are having all these problems just trying to send books and magazines! Books are supposed to be zero rated for VAT aren't they?

Mail to Ireland

During our break, we had about 15 FOCS magazines returned to us from Ireland, and Ann spent quite a long time on the telephone to our franking people, The Mailing Room.

We had sent a couple of items from the Post Office which we heard on Monday had arrived. So now, what we are doing, is to send all post to Ireland from the Post Office, rather than franking it, although it is more expensive.. Ann re-did all the returned FOCS envelopes, not just those 15, with CN22B forms, fully filled in. The compulsory S10 barcode is at the bottom of the form and the HS tariff number is now included on the form. Ken C took these to the Post Office in a village a few miles from here. Not only are the parcels stamped, but each one is recorded so that we have a record of when it was sent. It took Ken about half an hour to send these, so huge thanks go to him.

Please continue to let us know when post does - or does not - reach you in Ireland. We have separately heard from a couple of people who had not received their FOCS magazines or books which had not been returned and these have been sent. 

Also, all the pre-ordered Top Secrets have been sent to Ireland - another 20 minutes in the Post Office for Ken C.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Not all books are 0 rated. There are quite specific descriptions for different types of books. Even 0 rated products have to be cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭fattymuatty

I'm getting seriously annoyed about this issue. It is affecting my business, every time I order supplies for my business they are getting sent back to the UK, there is no supplier in the EU. The latest one is a package from Amazon which feels like the straw that broke the camels back, I order personal items from amazon all of the time with no trouble at all and because I needed something fast I paid more for it on amazon only for it to be sent back by customs. Yet when I order goods from India they fly through customs and I never even get charged VAT? I'm so frustrated at this point but it doesn't seem like there is anything I can do about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

For me, the one consistency in this shitstorm is that packages from Amazon UK all arrive ok with VAT treated properly. I have Prime which means most items come via courier rather than An Post. Did you order from a third party seller on Amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dammij

I have to agree with the last comment. If you have Prime, life gets a bit easier (BTW although it's 7.99 per month, if you get regular take outs, signing up to Deliveroo Plus {no cost} will get you free deliveries too!).

The only times it doesn't have any value is when

a) You're looking for food items

b) What you're looking for are small trader goods or crafts

both of which concern me!

Prime does at least ease the headache!

Nope, it was sent by Amazon UK. Same as you have never had this problem before except for this one thing that I need for work that is exactly why I was willing to pay more on Amazon for it.

It was sent Prime delivery, I don't understand it either, like I said I have never had this problem before with Amazon.

Today's newsletter from GGBP publishers in the UK:

Ann has had an incredibly stressful week (see Mail to Ireland below) and has had to turn to her favourite stress-buster, organic milk chocolate, more than usual.

Mail to Ireland

The bad news is that on Tuesday one FOCS magazine was returned, and then on Wednesday a further 15 came back, with a few more yesterday, including a couple of books. 

However, we have also had a reply from the Customs Office, and a couple of very helpful people have said things. So we have tried one final time - a book has been sent, as has a FOCS magazine, separately, to one person, and if these arrive then we can keep sending items to Ireland. We will keep you posted.

• Advertisement

Quick question - are packages from Switzerland treated the same as non-EU ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,689 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How are you suppose to know where a item is if it's not delivered? Should one get a card or letter in the post telling you that you have to pay customs, or vat? I thought this was paid at the door when delivered?

Value of item is 26 pounds total all in with shipping from uk. SO no customs on it right? So where the hell is the parcel? Tracking number doesn't work, it was posted through Royal Mail

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you will have to pay vat if it is has not been paid in advance. any notifications I have received have either come via email or text. they don't accept cash at the door any more, they havent done that in years. the posties refused to handle cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,689 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I got no notice , no text, no email, no letter, and I'm sure one is suppose to get a letter to inform you that a parcel is held. So I'm at a loss as to where it is. Is there a way to find out if they have a parcel belonging to me??

An Post emailed me last month about VAT due on a UK order. They got my email address from the label on the package. Had to pay it within 3 weeks.

Paid it within 2 days of getting the email and the item was delivered the following day.

Later on that week, I got a postcard-type thing through the letterbox with the same content as the email. Obviously they send a paper reminder as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,545 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It was discussed in the Dail, and that was discussed on the thread. Paschal Donohoe said that it is up the delivery companies to decide how to treat parcels rejected by AED. Including returning them to sender, if that is what their business model dictates. It was the "tsunami" of parcels coming from Asia which prompted the EU to change their/our rules, and Brexit on top of that has a particular impact on parcels from GB to Ireland.

If you get a response from Sammy, let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

i'm sure any response from Sammy will be reasonable and well-considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭oreo47

Hi

Is the situation still the same with regards to post coming from outside the EU being stopped and returned by irish customs or have things improved ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Still the same. Had a package returned to a retailer in the UK last week. They told me they didn't get any explanation why it was returned, just a sticker on it that said "Returned to sender". They are reluctant to try again as they aren't sure what the problem is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭oreo47

Advertisement