Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decentralised heat recovery ventilation

Options
  • 29-03-2022 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm looking at heat recovery ventilation for my house and I'm looking for reviews from people who have installed a decentralized system. Basically they fit into the wall vents and installed in pairs from what I see so one would be in supply and the other extract.

It looks like a cheaper option compared to a centralised system but is it as effective?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

I can’t comment on comparisons but I’ll offer this. I had two units working as a pair installed in an outdoor office which is insulated and heated. They work like a dream and the room is a pleasure to work in.

However, there is a little noise from the fans and because the pair work in tandem they alternate. I can’t imagine it would be that easy to sleep with that background noise.

I installed the same units (Twinfresh Comfo) as this guy and he recently added his experience of installing one in his bedroom.

http://mistersustainable.blogspot.com/2021/08/another-mini-energy-recovery-ventilator.html

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've just had single room units fitted, these ones, and the installation quality was... poor so I won't be naming the supplier/fitter.

Mainly got them as the rooms needed powered ventilation, so heat recovery was a secondary aim. Will probably need to wait to winter to see how the perform in that regard.

I went back and had a look at his earlier installation from 2014 where he fitted one in a living room. He had this to say about the noise

"At full speed the fan sound is noticeable from 10 feet, but the lower two speeds are almost inaudible. I would say that it is no louder than a refrigerator with the fan at full speed. It is certainly not obnoxiously loud and much quieter than a 100 CFM bathroom vent. You do notice the "breathing" cycle because the pause between directions is several seconds long."

It's that "breathing" cycle that I think will be difficult to sleep through.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sheejo

Thanks for info and the link to that site.

It's the noise level from them during the night in a bedroom which is what I would be concerned with mainly as I would like to put one in the living area and one in the bedroom.

I could always try to put them on a timer in the bedroom if it's an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Do different models have different noise ratings?

• Advertisement

I might have been over playing the noise element now that I think about. I often fall asleep in front of the TV for example and have no problem sleeping in an air conditioned room. I had a good listen there now and they really are fairly quiet.

Advertisement