Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parasite Control Strategy

Options
  • 29-03-2022 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭

Any thoughts on this?

Dislike not being able to go my own way........as I had a good system in place re: lungworm in younger vulnerable animals......(rarely had to treat for much else) but if it leafs to more testing and targeted measures + genuinely helps with analthemintic resistance then fine.....is it the thin end of the wedge? Will it lead to increased costs?

Everyone signing up for it? Any potential drawbacks etc.....seems like a no brainer to me at moment with doses going the prescription route?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Maybe just more red tape. Nothing is free in this life. I need to read it in detail & understand what exactly is entails and go from there.

Will we be obliged to follow the advice. Like yourself, I have my own notions of what I'd like to do.

Information is to be shared with the Dept, are there to be checks (not the bank kind) of some kind.

What paperwork 🙄 will be involved.

I know one of the vet's listed, might give them a buzz tomorrow. There's relatively scant information on the AHI website.

https://animalhealthireland.ie/programmes/parasite-control/parasite-control-tasah-consult/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

My new parasite control strategy: don't let bord bia, department, county council, salesmen into the yard anymore. I'll see what I'll do about lice next year

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I got a text from DAFM about this today and it was the first I heard of it.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

Or it just another paper exercise for the benefit of DAFM and “the industry”?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

From Department Press Release 

“This new TASAH programme will specifically focus on parasite controls on farms this year. The development of a structured parasite control plan is critical to addressing the increasing challenge of anti-parasitic resistance. This measure will allow farmers engage a specifically trained veterinarian, at no cost to the farmer, to provide advice on parasite control measures in their herd/flock. This free TASAH programme will be delivered by Animal Health Ireland (AHI).”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

First time the text said “DAFM recommend” normally it just says opt in or opt out.

I think you can choose your local vet for the visit and fecal samples etc.

I’ll contact the vet and my ag advisor before signing up,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭amacca

I'm advisorless so would appreciate any feedback etc

My advise would be get a advisor. I have one here and I only have a small system and I wouldn't be without one it's great to have one that you can give shout when the need arrise. Not big money & tax deductible.

I don't think you need an advisor to get involved, do you? Just contact your local vet I think.

Re advisors: I was with the State agency a few years back but was getting nothing beyond what you'd read in the IFJ any week. I contacted an independent guy in the area last week and hope to get involved with him and any KT group that might be coming in CAP 2023. I'll try it anyway, and if it doesn't work out I'll probably never again go near one. We're all different I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Sheep farmers all over the world have destroyed the efficacy of anthelmintics by going their own way, so it's time to rein it in. antibiotic use is by farmers is no better. Eamon connell on the indo reporting that a farmer told him he gave Penicillin for pain relief, sad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

That is spot on .Indiscriminate use by some has destroyed it for everyone else .

No point in dosing lambs with a product that ain't working ,dosing at the wrong rate, dosing them when they do not require it ,dosing them at the wrong time ,dosing them because they are dirty or not thriving. Better to find out if they actually need a worm dose and what is appropriate for the problem if it exists.

See lads just getting " a good dose " especially for fluke and not even checking/ knowing if it covers mature ,immature etc .Waste of time and money .

Same with E coli in lambs . Know people who were routinely doing every lamb with spectam or an anti microbial instead of just treating those with an issue .It was an easy way out until it started to loose its effectiveness. Preventative antibiotics use means that enroxil etc is highly restricted this year .

Nothing more annoying than someone giving an animal a shot of some random antibiotic just because .Pen strep is unlikely to do much for something with pneumonia .

Same with pain killers.My vet would normally give that when it's appropriate for the animal being treated.Its an important part and is a major help at times and often overlooked.

Mentioned here before that I had a historic issue with worm resistance . Thankfully have it sorted now but it happens .Advice is free and I got lots of it .The vet in question had the exact same issue on their own farm some years previous .

Better off at least knowing what the problem is .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Good scheme, have already registered and judging by a lot of the advise given in this forum in the past, re dosing and drug administration, a lot of members would be be advised to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I was reading lately about long acting Cydectin, if you have 5%resistance when you dose it's likely you'll end up with 100% ivermectin resistance when it wears off after 100 days or whatever persistancy they're claiming now also heve every dung beetle on the farm kileed as well.

As far as I can see that's used freely now for scab

Dipping is the best ( only ?) solution for scab etc in my opinion

The biggest problem with schemes like this is that the fellas who need it the most will be the last to sign up. Sure they're all experts already!

Hey, tell me, would a shot of burnt oil do anything for them worms? Asking for a friend!

Great stuff for orf ,along with petrol and a wire brush !!!!.

Remember asking one farmer would he put petrol/ burnt oil on his own lips if he had a cold sore .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭amacca

Ah no I was just responding to poster that said they would ask their advisor....just making the point I don't have that option at the moment so the consensus here might be my advisor in the short term 😀 I know I don't have to have one.

Just on that I went look a good while back and teagasc told me 5hey weren't taking on any new 'clients'..... seemed genuine think there was less of them being taken on etc?

Just on that, where do you get a list of independent guys and how do you know if they any good/useful if you are not the most connected....

Anyway, on the one hand I agree with most of the comments here but on the other I rarely have a sick animal and in terms of doses I'd say I'd be one of the lightest users out there....its rare an animal here gets or needs a dose once its past its first winter....I use a paddock system and the animals don't get back to an area for at least 25 days usually more so the worm burden is low.....luckily a pour on /Oral dose correct for body weight once at first summer at grass does the trick....I'm my case at least it's not like I lash it at them at the first sign of a cough....

I'd just be wary of something I don't know a huge amount about and I'm sick of thin end of the wedge stuff re:costs so just want to see what people think and that's pretty clear so far I suppose.

If you’re looking for an advisor, you could just Google it. Have a look on the ACA website too but maybe not all advisors are registered with them: https://aca.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Or click on the link which opens a page and scroll to the end where you can download the DAFM list of approved agricultural advisors.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b41a6-farm-advisory-system/#

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

My advisor said go with it. It’s a free visit from vet with two faecal samples and advise.

my vet is on the list so registered today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭minerleague

Have we lost all confidence in deciding what to do ourselves without our hand being held like children, same in suckler scheme ( some computer algorithm telling you which is a good cow ). Vets and doctors are just as much to blame for overuse of antibiotics ( Often see a vet here giving multiple different shots if not sure of problem )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Well, the opposite could also be said - are we gone so foolhardy that we are unwilling to talk to people to learn more?

I have signed up anyways. I think it’s a good thing…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Think allot of treatments like marbosol are out of our reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭alps

Can be used, if vet is comfortable that they can show just cause or necessity to use the product. This may come from historical experience about what works on that particular farm. Had an ecoli case last week, and I was really relieved that the vet administered marbocyl...Cow improved, and heppy today that she will make a full recovery..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Think all other options have to be tried first

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Signed up today. Sur what’s the worst that could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Registered myself too. Free advice for targeted dosing. My own vet is on the list so suits me even better.

Wonder do these samples qualify for BEEP? Pain walking around the fields waiting on them to sh1te & now if 3 separate set of samples needed neighbours will think I'm nuts!

Advertisement