Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bruce Willis retires from acting

• 31-03-2022 12:03pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The sad news that Bruce Willis has retired from acting probably deserves its own thread.

Some excellent, alarming reporting from The LA Times here about how concerns about his cognitive state were seemingly downplayed by many of the producers of the DTV films he appeared in in recent years / Willis' own entourage, as well as details of a few alleged on-set incidents involving firearms.

It goes without saying of course that the previous suggestions that Willis himself was seeking some financial security for his family before retiring seem to match with what's now public.

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I heard someone speculating at Christmas time that something was not right about him as the last few movies seem to be paycheck events and whenever he was been interviewed he seems a bit off. He did some top drawer stuff in his day. I am pretty sure there are a few critics feeling a bit bad for him now given all the gruff they handed out to him these last few months.

Dan.

That’s often the way with those kinds of illnesses though. The person themselves doesn’t necessarily notice the decline, or adapts to it and those around them go out of their way to try to keep things running for them.

It happens in all sorts of scenarios, but I would suspect if you’re a major Hollywood actor it’s likely to be even more pronounced.

They’ll also have a very strong commercial interest in his brand. that’s going to result in a reluctance to let him retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Was only looking at his filmography recently and how bad it had gotten in recent years, makes a bit more sense now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

that's pretty sad he's a part of all our lives, from the moonlighting days on, at least he's free now he probably should have retired years ago after reading the link the op put up, i'm just thinking of him in Friends even he was so funny in it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

The Razzies award looks a bit mean now and there is no way they can say they hadn't heard about the rumours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Very sad. He's been suspiciously absent from mainstream productions for a long time and this certainly explains why. He was apparently fired from Cafe Society in 2015 for not being able to remember his lines and had use an earpiece the same year on a broadway show, so the problem must have been pretty bad even then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

It is sad to see him retire like this.

He is a fan fave actor... he had his own particular genre and while he was not a critically acclaimed actor, the fans liked what he did and he did it well. For an actor to lose the power of using words effectively, it must be a very cruel hardship to endure and terrible for family and friends to see happening.

I hope he can enjoy his retirement and that he will be able to look back on the joy that he brought to so many film fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Bruce hasn't acted since Die Hard.

Hardly a loss to cinema given his most recent appearances.

Bigger things happening in the world to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It would have been great to see him in a really decent film before retiring.

His last good film? Looper maybe? And that is 10 years back...it's a shame...then again Gene Hackman's last film was welcome to mooseport...

Oh ffs.

What a stupid **** take.

You should be embarrassed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Go stand in front of a mirror, take a good look at yourself then give yourself a good hard slap.

I hear that if you stand in front of the mirror and say "Fresh Prince" three times, someone will do that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

And then go back to the same mirror and give yourself another hard slap 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

He wasn't my favourite actor or anything but it's sad to see the art slipping away from a man who gave so much entertainment.

I hope he has a contented retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 TryingNot2Lie

"Bigger things happening in the world". Says a person commenting on a thread in the film section. If you truly don't care why did you post?

Luckily I will never have to see your inane commentary ever again, you small, petulant little man because I am now, forthwith adding you to my ignore list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

During the Planet Hollywood phase in the 90s when Willis, Stallone and Schwarzenegger were lauded as the Big Three of action cinema, Willis was always the odd duck in being the only one who showed genuine range and ability to actually act. Sure there was a lot of throwaway action schlock, but he definitely had an eye for dramatic roles that perfectly suited his understated, wounded style: Sixth Sense; Moonrise Kingdom; Pulp Fiction; 12 Monkeys; Looper to name a few. And of course, there was Die Hard; sometimes it's easy to forget how so much of that franchise (or rather, the first three films) often only worked 'cos of Willis' exasperated underdog charisma. Anyone who says he can't act simply hasn't watched enough films.

But this is deeply sad news: degenerative cognitive diseases have a singular tragedy in how they rob someone of their mind, while Loved Ones watch, impotent, while their parent/sibling/child disappears in front of them. It's horrible. Even the worst physical ailments can leave one's sense of self intact. I feel for Willis' family.

I said it elsewhere, but on learning of this news I felt a little shame for all the times I gave Willis shít for his taking of all those DTV roles - assuming those generally checked-out performances were down to a lack of professionalism than the first seeds of something medical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Shred

I was sad to read this earlier, he did some really great work over the years but hasn’t done much of note recently I think it’s fair to say. The NYT article said he has a further 10 projects in post; so upon reflection it does seem like he was getting through as many roles as possible, regardless of their quality, while he could still earn.

Good luck to him and his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Jaysus lad, careful not to cut yourself on the edge. 🙄

Die Hard

Last Boy Scout

Pulp Fiction

Sin City

Sixth Sense

He's been involved in some absolutely smashing movies over the years but like many, the star wanes as time passes. Sad to see his career end like this but hopefully it will improve his quality of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Or insult someone's wife about her alopecia and wait....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I feel bad now knowing his phoned in performances over multiple movies over the last year or two are because of illness, however that criticism i had is now admiration for getting paid huge sums by phoning in performances over the last year or two while ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I distinctly recall the first time I saw Willis on TV. It was in a single episode of The Twilight Zone. Weeks or months later Moonlighting started on RTE 2. That's why I remember because I remember remembering him in the Twilight Zone when Moonlighting started. Yes I have a good memory and yes that was a awful long time ago. Well that's my bit of Willis trivia.

Anyway, my favourite movie of his is 12 Monkey's, which noone ever seems to remember to mention when listing off his list of best movies. I thought that 6th Sense , which everyone seems to remember to mention was a load of nonsense, even though that wasn't Willis' fault or to say he wasn't good in it.

The last movie I seen him in was Looper, which I seem to recall I liked but can't for the life of me remember what it was about.

Sorry to hear this news about him, I always rather liked him.

Die Hard - his best movies

Last Boy Scout - quality but essentially die hard

Pulp Fiction - quality movie his performance was decent (in my opinion)

Sin City - didn't rate at all (in my opinion)

Sixth Sense - didn't rate at all (in my opinion)

In my mind Bruce was a hollywood star (horrible term) but not a great actor. simple as.

Just an opinion. He hasn't delivered a good movie in years hence by retirement the audience wont loose out.

Just taking a break from worrying about all worlds problems to comment. Simple as. I never said I didn't care just commenting on how his retirement wont be a great loss to cinema.

Your comments against me are more harmful than mine. Maybe have a cup of tea and smell the roses baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

I thought this man was a zombie for many years, now I know why

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I can't say I'll miss him as an actor, but I wish him well and best of luck with his diagnosis.

I know other people liked his acting so fair play, but I can't think of any movies where I thought he was good. He was in some good movies though and Pulp Fiction must be the highlight of his career. Never got the appeal of the Die Hard movies. Found them boring.

I never really understood why he was supposed to be so intimidating. It was a bit like being on a ghost train where you have to pretend you're scared in order to enjoy the ride, I thought you generally had to pretend you were enjoying his acting to enjoy his movies.

Advertisement