Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭cletus

This. I'll go further than taking the lane, I'll go to the right hand side of the lane if I'm taking the third exit. It means I'm not between a driver an the exit they might want to take. I'd be close to the curb of the roundabout itself as I go round

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Exact same. Well except I call it a kerb because I'm not American :D

I take most roundabouts like a car would. That way there is more chance of being seen. It also mean I'm not making "two lanes" out of a single lane round (when unmarked - i.e. I know there are some roundabouts with cycle lanes marked, but they get ignored too).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In my defence, I normally would and am not sure why I didn't today. Still does not justify the drivers actions either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

No it doesnt - I only comment on these things to share experience and maybe someone learns something (or I learn something from others)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭cletus

😁😁😁

D you know what, I've no idea what I typed curb there. I don't think I've ever called it anything except a kerb before 🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

I once had a white van overtake me on a roundabout by going around it the wrong way. Granted it was a painted roundabout but still moronic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

two in the space of 200m today - came in to balrothery from man'o'war direction, and at the junction where you'd take a right to go to ardgillan, a woman coming from that direction pulled out on top of me. i ended up bellowing twice at her, first as she did that, and then as she called out the window that she didn't see me, i realised she was driving with one hand on the wheel and the other holding a disposable coffee cup. so i gave her an earful over that too.

200m later and a guy in a black prius did the exact same thing to me, he came out from the left, the road near the back of the pub.

and to cap it off, albeit not a near miss for me; a couple of km later, heading into balbriggan, a motorist probably 100m ahead of me (there were three or four cars between me and this joker) pulled into the side of the road at roughly where the filling station is - and immediately indicated right and swung out into the road to do a u-turn. the guy behind had to brake hard to avoid hitting them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

christ, something about the sun must bring it out.

heading along here

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4903775,-6.3353301,3a,75y,88.01h,77.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRhtE3RZaNDgb2G9awv1UZw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

i knew there was a HGV of some sort behind me and my first concern was - as he started to overtake - that it might be one about to take a left in front of me, a lot of HGVs head up that road. but it was a grab truck going straight on in the swords direction.

however, as he was passing, i heard some shrill beeping, and just as he passed, there was a guy on a motorbike (with a pillion passenger), front wheel gone off-road, legs akimbo, bike at a weird angle, desperately trying to steer back to some sort of semblance of balance. i'm astonished he managed to keep the bike upright, i was certain they were going to wipe out.

i reckon the guy in the grab truck was focussed on getting past me and when he saw a clear spot, went for it, but hadn't copped the motorcyclist had already begun to overtake. stupid place to overtake anyway, that close to a crossroads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Thanks to the pr**ck who was within a second of left hooking me after he decided it would be ok the over take me and immediately pull into the car park at Ticknock this morning. It seems also indicating has gone out of fashion

Mountain bike on the back of the car aswell. Strange one. I would have thought he/she would be more tolerate or perhaps an extra 10 seconds of mountain biking was more important to him/her. Probably only took up mountain biking when he/she realised they were crap at golf.

Post edited by bazermc on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Been a long time since I cycled to work from D12 to intel but this part of the journey was always the most treacherous.... buses loved to buzz me

• Registered Users Posts: 13,664 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

yeah, even driving around in my own car this weekend other feckin drivers were impatient and out of their heads... loons.

That jersey looks great btw... shame they're so pricey, be nice if Lidl/Aldi did something similar in their usual cheaper bike gear

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

Had a near death moment just after the Garda Headquarters as I turned off North Road towards Wellington Road in the Phoenix Park. Cars coming from the NCR direction have to yield at this particular junction, I was approaching from the other direction and had right of way. Needless to say a driver failed to yield and got so, so close to sideswiping me. Mitsubishi ASX fwiw, and the driver was playing with his phone.

Obviously this pissed me off rightly, what made it worse was no acknowledgement of wrongdoing or anything like that from this fecker. Hate to say it, but I gave chase, which must have looked stupid as I was on a Brompton, anyway I caught him down at the exit onto Conyngham Road. He wasn't expecting me as he was back on the phone as he was pulling out. I whalloped the window and then proceeded with a one way swearfest argument whilst he refused to engage.

I hate that I reacted like that, but I'm only human.

finding myself in this thread more often than usual recently.

i took the left at the junction here, and as i started the turn, the cock driving the BMW behind me decided to floor it to pass me - even though he was *also* taking the left. i think he overcooked it slightly as he actually was briefly swung in on top of me. i let out a rather healthy and profane bellow and he stood on the brakes - there was no way in hell he could see if there was any oncoming traffic as he took the left (there wasn't, thankfully) but what a bizarre place to attempt a pass. dangerous and illegal.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4915128,-6.2849137,3a,75y,22.05h,96.52t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sg1FiV6Eq39C-hdZWqTNo8w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Had one with a Dublin Bus on Monday on way home from work pull straight across me into a bus stop even though I was already inside the "bus stop" square.

Had to fling myself to curb to avoid getting killed. Went around other side and said it to him and got the usual "yeh i did see you so what" answer. Bus driver behind driving an aircoach actually said to me that he pulled straight in on top of me as I was taking pictures of bus and driver.

Took pictures and details and made complaint to Dublin Bus about him.

Just got mail back from them saying they are investigating and reviewing the cctv but can't let me know the outcome due to GDPR. What a crock of horsesh*t. So this guy is probably going to get told off, if that and is free to do it to someone else then straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I had one yesterday that was my fault, i was switching from the bus lane to the right hand lane (of 2) that were full and backed up with traffic. There's a yellow box for busses to merge but there was already 3 (and it was still a bit up the road).

Anyway, I went for a gap opening up in front of a phone user, but a car went for it too from the right hand lane.

Braking ensued and I decided I would not make the gap, nor stop in time behind the car in front so went left of the car apologizing profusely to the coach driver almost beside me in the bus lane.

Lesson learned for me.

Took pictures and details and made complaint to Dublin Bus about him.

To be honest, I see no point in reporting it to DB. Take it to AGS and have it dealt with properly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just got mail back from them saying they are investigating and reviewing the cctv but can't let me know the outcome due to GDPR. What a crock of horsesh*t. So this guy is probably going to get told off, if that and is free to do it to someone else then straight away

What has GDPR got to do with it? You don't need to know any additional details about the driver that what you already have, that being a photo of them and what route they happened to be driving that day. You just want to be told what action was taken.

You still won't know who they are, where they live, the name of their pet dog or their favourite colour. GDPR getting used as an excuse like that should be challenged.

Fyi, you can request a copy of any videos that have you in them, so feel free to submit a GDPR request to them. If you do, make sure to ask for video from all cameras incase there are multiple on the bus

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Got to AGS, DB are incorrect here. They don't give a sh1t. Its assault with a deadly weapon. For every few 100 good drivers you have the few, and they are rare, who really make it an awful experience to cycle. A friend who drives for DB and also cycles was telling me he wouldn't wear the DB Hi Vis he has if he was cycling to work as there are a few who'd skim him to wise him up to not cycling. Absolute insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I was told by a DB driver that busses often do punishment passes to cyclists on Newcomen bridge, to try and force them to use the bridge that was built especially for them.

The bridge they mean is actually a pedestrian bridge, and the road is clearly marked for cyclists. Makes me wonder what kind of training some of them have.

Spotted on Twitter from England - possibly one of the worst I've seen...

He should go and do the fukin lotto!!!!!! Jesus H

at least the reg plate is clearly visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

**** hell

Coming out of Duleek towards Juianstown one day I had a car do the same to me. Difference was he was always going to do it. Could see from his approach to the tractor that he was coming and it was probably a bit further away. Other difference was I had a big gravel run off to get my ass into

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,343 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

In the UK they would prosecute that. Here you would be chasing the Gardai for months in hope

There you could submit the video through a portal in some areas and they would take it from there !!!.

I've said this once in reaction to a video here before but that video was a shove a lump of coal up me and I'd poop a diamond moment if ever there was one !!!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Coming home last night, left my camera in work, it was late and the roads were quiet. Coming through the junction at the Goat pub, first car went across me when the lights went green, always happens, and while not mart, there is enough time. Second car, seen me, stopped and themn when I was halfway through, started to drive through the junction and went straight for me. Only I shouted and they dropped anchor which left them in the middle of the road blocking all the traffic on my side of the road, he then started f'in and blinding at me as if it was my fault. FFS, I wish I had my camera as you can't report it the way it is but you could see the rage in his eyes at me, as if him cutting across in front of traffic (not just me by the way, there was a car only 2m behind me) was someone elses fault. I hate cycling in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Advertisement