Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar Beginner: Shed light & trickle charge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,740 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

don't know about the mower, but this is probably the simplest option for a light, I have it in my shed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭meep

Indeed. I've been looking at items like that. However, the mower battery trickle charge is the main requirement - having a light in there is secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

Couple good videos on YouTube of many that have done exactly this. Here is one for example. Should be cheap enough to do and nice to have an off grid shed/man cave too 😃

https://youtu.be/xnSew-tCuPo

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

How come you have to trickle charge the mower all the time?

(that being said, i should grab the charger and give the mower a lil boost, hasnt moved since nov. )

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭harderthanf

Is it an electric mower or are you just trickling the 12v starter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

I have something similar on my shed. 2x 12V PV panels (150W total) connected to 10A MPPT controller. Controller charges 12V leisure battery and provides power to air pumps in greenhouse next to the shed. Been running this for 5 years.

Its a ride-on with a 12V that seems to drain quite quickly. It will start 4 or 5 times and then next time, flat, so just as easy to leave the trickle charger attached all the time. Shop was had a look and installed a new battery but the issue persists and is out of warranty so something I'll just need to live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭harderthanf

This seems odd. I have a ride on (and many over the years) - my current one is over 15 years old and the battery is only now starting to go. Mine has lights on it. Are you sure there is nothing like that switched on that might drain the battery?

Regardless, I have had similar setups in a couple of my sheds. I started with one 100W panel, a simple PWM charge controller and an old 180Whr golf buggy battery. This lasted my a couple of years for the 18W LED lights I had around the place. I also had a 12V bilge pump in an ICB container running from it during the summer. Trickling onto the ride on mower wouldn't really make any difference and will be grand.

At the time ( a good few years back, before I really knew anything !) I used these https://de.eco-worthy.com/. I see the price is gone way up. They delivery to EU for free and do starter packs of panels, cable, and PWM CC. I still have a good few of these panels so they're fine.

If you're going to stay 12V and I would recommend a decent MPPT charge controller. I have a few of the EPEver 40A controllers but could get away with the 10A ( they're on Amazon, cheap enough).

I am pretty sure though that once you start down this route you'll want to be upgrading and getting a full system into the house!

Any reason for the 2x12V batteries? Are you looking for a 24v system too or just doubling the capacity?

Its a bit if a mystery with the ride on but the service guys have looked at it a few time sand can't really tell me whats going on.

On the 2x 12V - one is the power storage for the shed, to operate lights and maybe some tool charging etc. The other is the 12V in the mower itself. But maybe I'm not thinking about that right and I should use the solar system 12V to charge the mover? Need to do more rewarding up on how to do this - I'm not sure an inverter to 240V a.c is the right thing to then plug in my existing trickle charge unit? That seems counter-intuitive (though I do have a 12V inverter that I used to use in my car fado fado.)

Advertisement