Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powering a Garmin Edge 520

Options
  • 29-03-2022 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭

Just wondering how I could recharge my garmin while on the move? It seems the battery life is poor enough, even though the device continues to work perfectly otherwise. Is there a means or a gadget that can keep it powered as I ride? It dies after about 4 hours or so, I'm hoping to do some longer rides soon, randonee and hopefully some Audax from here on. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭cletus

Garmin do a powerpack that fits under the outfront mount

It's pricey enough, at just over a hundred quid.

I'm not sure if you could plug a powerbank into the charge port, and keep the bank itself in a toptube bag or similar.

The other option is to have the battery replaced. The are a number of websites detailing how you might do that

*edit* actually, scrap the link above looks like it's only for the 1030

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

I Have a 520 plus and that can be charged via a powerbank on the move. I just have a small powerbank and cable in a top tube bag for longer rides.

I would imaging that will work for the 520 too if it works with the plus.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You can use a power pack but you need to make sure it's not a data cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I think I've used a data cable in the past and not had any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I have a 520 plus* and use a Gomadic portable charger for longer rides. It takes 4xAA batteries. There are two ways of doing it - either boost the battery on tea stops or continually charge it on the move. To charge on the move you'll need some sort of bar bag to hold the charger. You'll probable also need an 'out front' Garmin mount to make the charging easier. The disadvantage of charging on the move is that it can be awkward on wet days. The fact that it uses AA batteries means you can stop at any shop to replace them should they run flat. As has been said, if using any normal power pack, you need to make sure the cable isn't a data one or the Garmin will reset.

*I've subsequently bought a 530 which has a much longer battery life so now only use the 520 for short rides, commutes, walks etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gomadic-Portable-Battery-designed-Garmin/dp/B00BDBXGAQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭JMcL

I don't think the 520 will charge with the Garmin powerbank. I've just upgraded to a 530 (because eejit that I am I can't find the 520 I have anywhere) which has the contact on the mount as shown. The 520 doesn't have these. Your only hope then is a USB battery pack and cable, and I'd imagine you'd need to use the out-front mount for this to be able to plug the cable in.

4 hours seems very short though. My 520 hadn't lost significant battery capacity after 4 years, and I hadn't really been that particular about charging it to maximise battery life. Even my old 500 which I pressed back into service for a while still had probably 10+ hours in a charge, and it's been in a box unused for the guts of 4 years. How long have you had it? Might be worth chancing your arm with Garmin even if it's out of warranty - they seem to be averse to any notion that their devices are anything less than the finest under the sun

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think the 520 was quite a short battery life, as per the OP, depending on sensors, navigation etc . on the reviews I read when I was buying the computer before my current. It was the reason I went for a Bolt over it it.

I got a 530 for Christmas, which seems to be matching the Bolt battery wise.

Even my old 500 which I pressed back into service for a while still had probably 10+ hours in a charge

Yes, the old 500 had great battery life. I used to be able to get 300kms+ rides without re-charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Morris Garren

Thanks for the advice so far- must get myself in gear soon. On that front, I will also need a different front mount as the only ones I have fit traditional round tubing, but my bars are aero design... more stuff to get!

• Advertisement

If your stem is reasonably long, you may be able to charge on the move without an out front mount.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Best to upgrade to a 530. I'm in the same boat.

People can be awfully free with other people's money 😁

There's a big difference between buying an Anker power bank for 50 quid, and a new head unit for 260

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Or second hand Bolt, coming soon to Cycling Adverts!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Well the power pack recommended above was 100 quid. A new 530 is widely available now for 200 euro, and you'd sell your old 520 easily for 50 to 70 quid so, certainly for my money, replacing makes more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

My 520's battery had become unmanageable for anything over 40km. Before it got that bad, I used a cheapo Pennys power bank. When the battery on the 520 went below 10% I removed it from the mount, connected it to the power bank and stuffed both into a jersey pocket. I found that as battery life deteriorated, charge time shortened accordingly so it would charge to 100% quite quickly. I often considered using a couple of heavy duty elastic bands to strap the power bank under the stem but a new Wahoo was a better option.

Post edited by crosstownk on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I did a sportive a few years ago and the "Goodie" bag included a USB power pack about the size of a Bic Lighter. Since then i carry it with me on long days out and use it to recharge my Garmin 1000..works a treat! (i just tie the battery pack to the stem and connect it to the Garmin with a short USB cable)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Foxmoves

I would agree with this.

I did a long distance race last year and the 530 is an incredible battery, even using maps

• Advertisement
Advertisement