Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Undersized inverter for winter performance

Options
  • 30-03-2022 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm getting solar installed and trying to devcide on a 5k or 6k Inverter with a 5.92k panel set up.

With the 6k it will allow for a bit of future expansion and I'll not lose as much due to clipping on good days

With the 5k I believe I'd get better performance on low light days. I just don't know how much this would be.

What I lose in clipping will be on good days when one plenty of energy surplus. So I'm wondering does it make sense to focus on getting the most out of panels on bad days? Does anybody have any idea of how much more efficient the lower inverter would be?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

There should be no noticeable difference between the 5kw and 6kw in the lower light conditions. There might be a marginal difference in panels but very hard to find out unless they are literally side by side getting the same light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Thanks one of those things I read and didn't know should it impact my inverter choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

Definitely go for the 6kw as allows for expansion at a later stage and think you will regret it if you don't. I know I did when I had to replace my inverter with a larger one which I put should have got in first place.

One extra panel connected to the 6kw inverter will massively outweigh any benefit of oversizing a smaller inverter

Advertisement