Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shift work

Options
  • 27-03-2022 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

I have been doing shift work for 20 years ...12 hours nights and days ..I now have a opportunity to go for a mon to fri job ..with working from home about 2 or 3 days a week .... i feel myself my body needs a break from the long night shifts but im worried about the big pay cut as we get a big shift allowance ..Has anybody here made the switch from shift to days how did u feel after ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

You'll never want to do nights again after moving to days only.

Only you can answer if you can take the pay cut. But bear in mind that it is a fact that night working is bad for your health.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

I can take the pay cut would just have to change life style a bit ..but i think a the minute i try to spoil my myself to make up for feeling rough after nights ..

I'd like to be able to get a routine going like going for a hike every sunday or same fitness class once a week ..something u can't do on shift ..also I'm a bit worried about not being there for kids in the evening as my son is 12 and starting to act out a bit ..i would like to get a good routine going for him too like football or martial arts in the evening ..

i'm just wondering will i regret the decision just want to see how others feel on mon to fri ..after coming off shift

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

if you can afford it, go for it, your body and mind in particular, will thank you. shifts truly do take years off your life, you wont know yourself. best of luck

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I did rotating nights and day shifts for 15 years. Because of the unpredictability of my hours I lost contact with all my old friends and had chronic insomnia aswell as other issues. Since switching to 5 day normal week my whole life is better although the old friendships were never rekindled.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

Yeah i find that as well ..when i was younger i used to hang around the people i worked with ...but now older i may just met someone occasionally for golf or something ..u definitely lose contact with people ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yes, go for it

12hr shifts should be outlawed imo - absolutely head & body wreckin

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dpforce

You never going to to look back. If you can afford - go for it. I switched to days after 15 years working shift. oh man - never again.

After 3-4 months you won't even recognize yourself.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I only done a 12 hour continental shift pattern for a year and a half, and while it was over the course of the pandemic, it made the pandemic fly.

I felt the time literally zip by when you're on it, it's so hard on the body but especially the mind, is the money actually worth it? for me it wasn't and i moved to a job with much lower pay (50% lower) but i'm much happier, home every day by 4:30 and have the evenings and weekends to myself.

Advertisement