Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Nicolas Cage Thread.

• 11-08-2021 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭

He seems to have a movie released every second week these days some actually really good most really terrible however he always gives it the full Nicolas Cage.

What's your favorite Nicolas Cage B to Z movie.

His newest Prisoners of Ghostland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A great read.

Nicolas Cage Paid Off Debts With VOD Films, but He Stands by Every Role: ‘I Never Phoned It In’

Nicolas Cage Can Explain It All

He is one of our great actors. Also one of our most inscrutable, most eccentric, and most misunderstood. But as Cage makes his case here, every extraordinary thing about his wild work and life actually makes perfect ordinary sense.

Fifteen minutes from the Las Vegas Strip, into a tranquil gated community, up a red-brick driveway, past the palm trees that touch the Mojave Desert sky, through the veil that separates the astral plane, and here he is: the man they say gained and lost a $150 million fortune; who owned castles in Europe and the most haunted house in America and the Shah of Iran's Lamborghini and two albino king cobras and a rare two-headed snake; who had to return his prized dinosaur skull upon learning it was stolen from Mongolia; who went on an epic quest for the actual Holy Grail; and who—when his singular, fantastical life eventually comes to an end—will be laid to eternal rest in a colossal white pyramid tomb in New Orleans.

Nicolas Cage greets me at his door, wearing a kung fu suit.

“This is my Wing Chun kung fu suit,” he explains, waving me in and handing me a mug of coffee. “I studied with my sifu, Jim Lau, when I was 12 years old, because I was a big Bruce Lee fan. And so it's like my uniform to relax in.”

His voice is a low, contemplative drawl that imbues every word with a sense of philosophical magnitude. To hear Nicolas Cage state an opinion about his preferred loungewear is to hear anyone else reflect on the cosmos.

“I'm still decorating, so excuse me,” he says, as we stroll through his home. An imposing mahogany cuckoo clock chimes on the half-hour. Mighty bronze dragons guard the hall. Lacquered arms holding torches sprout from eggplant purple walls, lighting the way. Look down and you have a Persian rug ripped out of a Lisa Frank coloring book. Look up, you have a crystal chandelier and an original Creature From the Black Lagoon poster. Straight ahead: a prince! Specifically, a huge photograph of Prince roller-skating in hot pants and a Batman tank top. At the heart of the house is a charcoal drawing of his late father, August Floyd Coppola, who looms over the fireplace, and everything else.

Cage moved into this place last summer but settled in Vegas back in 2006. He came for the state taxes (there are none), though he soon learned to love the small-town feel and the ability to drop off the radar. “In some ways,” he says, “this move saved me.”................

His latest where he plays himself.

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wait, are we totally sure this is set footage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭horse7

Just not my cup of tea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

• Registered Users Posts: 84,788 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I do enjoy Con Air

Pig is great. One of the best films from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

I recently saw the new version of the Godfather III(Coda) and at the end Nicholas cage's name appeared as having been in the film. I honestly couldn't remember seeing him at all. Is he in the Godfather III an if so at what point in the film does he appear?

He is Coppola's nephew and basically begged for a part but was turned down.

So he isn't actully in it.

“This is a very embarrassing answer to your question, OK, because it involves family,” Cage said. “So Uncle was doing Godfather III and I said, ‘I really think I ought to be in your movie, Uncle. I really think it’s a good idea if you would cast me. I think I could play this part.’

“He was going to cast Andy Garcia, and I said, ‘But I just see myself more as James Caan’s son, and he’s playing Sonny’s son. He’s not playing Michael’s son. He’s Sonny’s son. I just feel a little more James Caan.’ It just wasn’t going to happen. Nope, not going to happen. So that was a movie I didn’t get let in that I really wanted to be in. There.”

• Advertisement

But if he's not in the film why does he have a screen credit?

He could have been a stand in for any of the actors plenty of talent get credits in movies that don't actually appear on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,700 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Any chance it was Nicholas Gage you saw with a credit, rather than Nicholas Cage?

Nicholas Gage was an EP on Godfather 3.

<edit> Here's a screengrab;

So there's Nicholas Cage and then there's Nicholas Gage.......mystery solved. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Two films of his that stand out for me is Leaving Las Vegas ( An amazing portrayal of alcoholism) and Lord of War, two pretty amazing films by my recommendation.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Subscribers Posts: 40,943 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'm looking forward to this, looks like good fun

Saw this earlier and it is indeed a lot of fun. I mean it does become something of a caper but all in all its enjoyable. And thats simply because of the great chemistry between Nic Cage and Pedro pascal. Nic himself is very good but Pascal is absolutely brilliant, his comic timing is impeccable. Really wanna see another movie with these two again

So Metacritc have come up with a list of the good Cage movies

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I think he has been on a good run lately. Mandy, Willy's Wonderland, Pig and Colour out of space are all good in their own way. Willy's Wonderland is daft but great fun. Mandy is a wild trip of a horror movie. I didnt like Prisoners of the Ghostland. Turned it off after 40 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Saw his new one over the weekend and really enjoyed it. A much better comedy than The Lost City, but unfortunately it seems like it will flop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭buried

Pig was very good. That scene where he's in that grim lifeless trendy restaurant where they serve him the scallops in smoke filled nettles or whatever the hell it was and he asks for the chef, that was class.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

Leaving Las Vegas was his best ever role followed by Pig.

Face Off

The Rock Sean Connery exceeds him ever so slightly

Con Air with John malcovich as the bad guy

One that the millennials on this site won't have seen

Peggy Sue Sue got married

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I saw The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent earlier today.

A very good movie and very funny.

Becomes almost a completely different movie for a few minutes from the moment Cafe discovers the daughter has been kidnapped to the appearance of Demi Moore.

it is at its best in the scenes between Cage and Pascal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I never concern myself with a movie’s box office since it isn’t my money ;) after your post I had a look.

It is a pity it is going to flop - I would like to see more from this writer and director.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Two watchable films Wild at Heart and Raising Arizona . Windtalkers is all right.

Avoid The Wicker Man , it's a remake and they rarely work.

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent is great fun you can see on screen the entire cast is having great fun making it.

Off to watch Paddington  2 now.

I'm a HUGE FAN of 'wild at heart'..... love that movie....... Sailor ( Cage) & Lula ( Laura Dern) knocked it clean out of the park....definetely in my to 10 favourite movies of all time. That snakeskin jacket Sailor wears throughout the movie ...class

• Registered Users Posts: 6 michaelvvmoreno

One of my favorite Nicolas Cage movies on my list is "Next". This time Cage decided to try his hand at being the hero of a spectacular action movie with elements of light sci-fi.

Chris Johnson has an unusual ability - he can see the future. And so that his life at least something resembled a normal, uncluttered, he uses his gift to look into the future just two minutes ahead. The FBI is on his trail, hoping that Chris will help them prevent a disaster...

I'm not familiar with the printed original that the movie is based on. So I have nothing to compare it to, so I'll just go with the movie itself. The plot is new and interesting to me. Such an idea as an opportunity to foresee all the outcomes of development

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

I did like Leaving Las Vegas, I thought he was excellent in that.

Advertisement