Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hello from Eastern Europe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Great to see your posts again, and good luck with the dairying.

Super cattle you have there.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

Finally, the first one hit the ground! Born at 285th day, sired by Dutch improved red beef (VRB) bull, out of a mature cow (mix of angus, charolais, limousine). Will weigh in the morning, but he looks to be quite heavy. Not much muscles on rear, but has a wide body.

Sure cow chose the coldest night this week. - 15C° at the moment.

The sire:

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

I had assumed your family had moved over from Ireland. Not sure where I got that idea from !

How did you come across F&F on Boards.ie?

Very interesting thread and super stock. Thanks for sharing.

I think I searched for something on google search and one of the results was this forum. Mostly I search about farming related stuff, so it brought me straight to this part of the forum.

Better pics of the newborn. Nothing too exceptional about him at the moment, but he should change quite a lot in a month time. 47kgs before feeding. Very strong and lively calf. Dam is 9 years old. Never assisted a calving, very nicely tempered, plenty of milk and good fertility, always tooks AI on the first try. Had her calf on the 30th of January last year, two years ago on the 8th of March. I missed her one heat last year as I didn't have my AI equipment at that moment. So it's actually the first calf from my AI work.

• Advertisement

Weather here is playing somekind of game for sure. In one week time you can have - 12C or lower and +5C. Plus lots of snow one day and all melted in two days. Today's weather in the pic. Going to have - 11C after two days, then going to +2C in the two days after that.

All works as usual. Finally finished weaning calves. Left just a couple for the spring.

Dad found some wolves traces in the near by forest. Seems that a new pack has arrived. At least 5, if not 7 wolves. It's going to give some extra work for us. Have to have no cows calving in the fields as they are next to that forest. Going to move all cows and heifers calvings to the winter and spring. It should take about two years, but have to do it. Better no calves born near wolves. Going to have lots of work with AI and thankfully two new bulls should arrive by the mid of February.

On a better note, an update pic of the newborn calf. He is 10 days old and grows quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Do you loose much hay leaving the bales out. Does the melting snow damage them much.

Not too much. Also use the damaged layer for bedding, so not that big of a loss. Everything is used.

I have seen videos from middle states in the US and they like you leave their bales of hay out which is a huge saving on having to build sheds to store them. I suppose the snow freezes/doesn't thaw due to such low temperatures whereas over here it's sometimes dry but mostly raining 😏

In previous posts you were asked about the threat of wolves (maybe bears??) and if I remember correctly you said that your area wasn't affected by them. Now that your Dad has seen tracks in the forest would they be from migrant wolves or does he think that you have a pack establishing in your area.

We had some wolves showing once in a while before too. Neighbour's sheep were killed last year and two years ago. But earlier saw tracks only of one, sometimes two wolves. Now it sure looks that a new pack has arrived. A couple days ago saw tracks of several wolves going around our cattle winter paddocks. Not a good sign. Very likely they are going to live here as it was a free teritory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Are you allowed to shoot them and is there an age/size when the cattle are safe from attack - or would they attack an adult cow as a pack?

There is a limited number of wolves allowed to be hunted during their hunt season. It starts at the 15th of October, if I remember correctly, and continues until February or March.

Several wolves can take down a cow easily. One person from another region had a 1400kg Angus bull injured by wolves, so yeah, they can attack fully grown cattle.

Had a heifer calf born a couple days ago by AI limousine bull Faisceau. Very easy calving, 282days gestation, 37kg birth weight.

Next calf is due on the 8th of February, another on the 11th and one more on the 27th.

Going slowly this year. I do know that I had some hard time with a couple AIs, but with practise it got easier. The best teachers were heifers. When I got a held of how it is done with them, cows became pretty easy.

We actually had a bad snow storm last night. Many people without electricity, roads full of snow.

A pic is from 6 days ago. One of the most beautiful winter views. Probably only the third time this winter.

That's a beautiful photo golodge.

Had another calf born yesterday. Charolais sired heifer from 3/4 lim cow. Born at 278th day. Quite small, lively girl. Considering her dam, she might make into the replacements group.

Winter weather here. The temperature is close to 0°, but have a strong wind and snow falling.

Heifers not very bothered by the whole winter thing.

A lot has happened since the last post. A spring might be not that far away, but we still get temperatures below 0°C at the night.

Had two new heifers born until now. One blondex, another belgian bluex. Some more calves are due very soon. Going to get a couple from the last herd bull. He only bred 7 cows before his injury. Four are due this month.

Had some delay with bulls semen ordering as some bulls weren't available and had to choose some other bulls to replace those, so still waiting for the delivery. Have a couple cows for AI at the moment, so just going to use leftovers for them. Got 10 straws of Lodge Hamlet by accident. Hopefully, this time he'll click better with a different selection of cows. The first try was on first calvers. Despite very easy calvings his calves appeared to be shorter in height and I wasn't that impressed with them.

Have bought a new bull. Brought him home yesterday. Not overfed, seems very calm so far. Not showing much of stress after a good 3 hour journey and the whole environment change. He's 21 months old, 760kg. His job will be mostly as a clean up bull for cows. He should get at least 20 this year hopefully.

Another heifer was born this morning. Only one bull calf from 11 calves so far. Lovely heifer tho. Sired by previous limousine herd bull, mom is 50%lim, with some angus, charolais and blue in her. The 3rd calf for her. 285 days gestation, approx 45kg.

The weather is nice these days. Some light cold, but lots of sun everyday. Calves are enjoying it alot.

Heifers are getting closer to calving bit by bit.

Is Winter nearly over for you or do you expect more snow and low temperatures still to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭cosatron

Golodge your stock are a credit to you. They are in great condition

• Advertisement

Anything can happen really. This night the temperature can be as low as -10°C. The weather forecast shows some colder weather and then some more warmth at the end of March. Hopefully the spring will come soon. It was very late for the past couple years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Are u worried by the situation In Ukraine golodge?

Would be lying, if I said that we're not worried. It can go south real quick, but trying to stay calm and just live an everyday life.

Calving is moving forward bit by bit. Have some cows over 285 days already, so they should pop any time now.

Started AI for some individuals as well. Got my delivery of new bulls from company called - inoveo. Waiting for a couple more bulls from Ki-samen and czeck company- Naturalgenetics.

Got three blues- Langoureux de fooz, Mambo des peupliers and Newman du blanc dos. Trying out culard charolais- Nippon exc and Eperon. Plus two parthenaise bulls- Ilus and Lamparo. Going to get Wilodge Cerberus son from Ki-samen in two weeks. And added some Blonde to the mix- Gazou from inoveo and Tresor with Vacherin from Ki-samen.

A link to one of the parthenaise bulls.

http://www.evolution-int.com/en/bull/71/FR4438833353/alt

• Registered Users Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Be careful with the Wilodge Cerberus bred bull. I had a complete nutter by him once here. She nearly killed me twice. 😂

Maybe only use him on the quieter cows. His fertility (daughter's fertility) is very poor too.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Thanks for the info. Going to keep that in mind. Character is one of the main criteria when selecting replacements for me, so hopefully there will be no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

+1 on the Cerberus Bull, they can be wicked. I have one and the calves are the easiest calvings I ever saw. I was worried at first that they were so small that they would come to nothing but within 2 weeks they double in size.

Ground looks cold and frozen there, I'd say it'll take a few weeks to thaw out, but it looks nice and dry

In some places it is very muddy. The current problem is that we had no rain for some time and the weather is very dry. It's warm and sunny during the day time and some small temperatures below zero degrees at nigh. The ground is getting dry, but the grass can't grow with freezing temperatures, so it's not a good sign if it will get too dry for the first grass. The upper layer of soil has thawed out already, but the soil is still frozen deeper in the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭High bike

Jaysus lads yere very hard on poor aul Cerberus,I have a Cerberus bull here 3 yrs and he's a pure lamb

Advertisement