Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Last Chance to get 48.ie 10.99 euro offer - Ends 4 April - 100 GB + All Calls & Texts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭cnoc

For how long does offer last? What will be the monthly offer after offer expires?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

There is no set expiry date on the offer. Prior 48.ie offers have lasted indefinitely i.e. you continue to stay at the price that you signed up at until you leave the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

That looks very good value , I assume 48 does not have 5g ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Or you could go the Virgin route, unlimited everything for €5 for 5 months on a 30 day contract.

I've ported 5 over to it and with no problems, so far.

No idea what offers will be around in 4 months time but would presume there will be something cheap around.

https://www.virginmedia.ie/mobile/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭alanbk

What the service like with 48 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,392 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

They use the Three network.

I moved to them last month.

The 4g is decent enough, all depends on location obviously.

The 100GB allowance is loads for someone like me, even hot spotting for work for a few weeks only resulted in me using about a quarter of the allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Same here. And I got in on this back when it was "€7.99 for life"! 😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

I'm with them a good while now, works perfectly in Dublin, down parts of the country it can be a bit iffy.

Roaming didnt work at all when I was abroad but thankfully I brought a vodafone sim with me after someone suggested it on the 48 thread.

But overall for €7.99 a month I'm pretty happy with them

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Jafin

Just a little warning, because I only found this out in January this year, 48 does not allow you to text premium numbers. So if you like to enter competitions via texting premium numbers (i.e. one that, for example, charges you €1 to enter the competition) or use Park By Text systems like Apcoa offers then you won't be able to do it on the 48 network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Alpha Centauri

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭Getoffmytrain

If you have an iphone, I wouldn't bother with them.

The EU roaming is a disaster.

Plus my wife wasn't receiving any phone calls when she was with them, she didn't realise for a few months until I called her phone one day and got no response or ringtone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭jacool

Can't believe you fell for that excuse. I use it all the time ! "Never got the call, sorry."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

Did all that before my trip and internet still didn't work for me in Madrid

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭TheHulk

Have them for 8 months and no probs at all. Phone always rings as far as I know and have roamed all over Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭lordsheepface

Data Roaming is not seemless and can be hit and miss. I wouldnt rely on it if roaming a lot.

Otherwise for the price (im 7.99) its a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭lordsheepface

Actually i did notice this once too!

Ive not had any problems getting 2fa codes from banks etc though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I’ve been with 48 for years and have never had problems roaming in Spain or England.

Just used my phone in the USA as well albeit I had to pay extra to make calls.

Yeah I moved into an apartment a few months ago, and if we're having guests over you're supposed to text their license plate number to Apcoa and pay €1 for 24 hour parking so they don't get clamped. After three failed attempts at texting the plate number I eventually found out it's because 48 doesn't support texts to premium numbers. 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

Great network for the most part. Been on it since the €7.99 days. Data speeds are great here in West Dublin. Usually get 200+ Mbps down and 50mbps up.

Data roaming is a pain though, very hit and miss. Worked okay in UK and France and Spain but was unusable in Netherlands and Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

That sounds great.

I'm currently on €20 per month with Vodafone. Do you have to contact your current provider to cancel?

No, go straight to 48. No need to contact Vodafone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Irish Kev

I have 4 sims running 48 and getting a 5th, 2 are on the 7.99 :-)

Service has been excellent apart from 2 issues, roaming in Spain 1st time, needed to figure out APN settings for Iphone, Samsung was OK. Also had issue with one last weekend not allowing connectivity to ryanair via apps/broswer/tethering. This cost me some time/money. Worked around it eventually with VPN.

You can sign up family/friends and both get a free month via referral, hint hint :-)

They have no agreement with US carriers for data but you get can an ESIM for traveling, that what I am doing next month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭McSween

have 48 said what the new price is?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

https://refer.48.ie/QQGPxr

If you sign up using my link above you get a free month and I'll give you my Uber Eats voucher as well as your own. :-)

So you'll get a free month's credit with 48 and TWO €10 UBER EATS VOUCHERS.

Just send me a PM after you use my link. Thanks.

And yes OP. The current rate of €10.99/month is ending on April 4th but if you join before then you can keep that rate for life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

Love 48, I find them great in Ireland but roaming is terrible, you have to change all your settings to make roaming work if you have an iPhone and then change them all back when you come back to Ireland. The roaming is very poor, I was in London last week and it was even a struggle to get 3G

But if your in Ireland I have no problems with them or their network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Another here who finds 48 great in Ireland but a disaster for roaming. Spent 1.5 hours on chat with them to try to sort it out in Portugal and they couldnt solve it, did all the APN settings, reboots, etc and it still wouldnt work. Was a nightmare getting back to the airport with no data roaming meaning no maps or train timetables. I dont think Id trust them for roaming again, will likely get a Vodafone sim for my next trip just to be certain I'll have it

• Advertisement

I'm off to Paris for 5 days in July and all this roaming talk has me panicking. I had a look on their website for all the APN settings and everything and they're all the same as what I already have. Can anyone confirm that roaming worked fine for them in France on an Android phone? My phone has two sim slots so worst case scenario I can just pop a second sim in there from another network to get roaming, but I'll avoid that if I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭amber2

If it doesn’t work when you arrive in Paris, message them when you get there through their online chat….. just bypass the bot and get on to a customer service agent and they will tell you what to do.

Also remember when you get back home to revert as you won’t have any service when you get home, this doesn’t seem to happen immediately on arrival home so you will think all is fine until you wake up one morning and you no longer have any service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭BullBauld

I was in Belfast the weekend and roaming would not work at all. Was there in November and no issues so strange. Nothing had changed in between.

Wouldn't trust it for roaming going forward but fine for when in 26.

I’ve been with 48 since mid-2020 and find the service great and great value. Roaming has worked fine anywhere in Europe and the UK.

If you sign up using the link below, you’ll get a free month’s calls, texts, and data and two €10 Uber Eats vouchers for free. Cheers.

It seems to be pot luck. Like I think it does work for the majority of customers but there is also an amount like myself who it didnt work for as the problem comes up time and again on 48 threads. I remember at the time when I got home I went looking for answers and there was a thread on the 48 Community forum from just an ordinary customer which had APN settings, iirc these were different from what the default was set to and others said they worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

France was the place where roaming actually worked the best for me. I was even able to stream a match on rte player when I was on the beach in Nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭gipi

I was in Newry today with my other half, neither of us could connect to a roaming network with our 48 Sims. I'm sure it worked for me before. I tried to select a network while there, and all the networks (O2, Vodafone, EE, etc) were all listed as forbidden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Only 3G roaming if you can get it to work, alot of countries are winding down their 3G networks so coverage might also be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,986 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Does anyone know if you have to have received the SIM and activated it by 4th April to avail of this offer, or can you activate it later as long as you have your order in before 4th April?

I see on their website...

"If you are on the €10.99 membership, or have ordered your SIM before 5th April, you will have the €10.99 membership forever. You don’t need to do anything, simply keep enjoying the 100GB all calls, all texts for €10.99 a month."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭McSween

I’d prefer 20gb and decent roaming. I watched a live football match on sky go earlier this month and it worked at Gatwick. Hoping it works at the end of next month too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Myself and 2 other family members were in Enniskillen today. None of us could get any network. I know it's cheap but roaming these days is pretty essential. Tried everything I've seen on their forums and nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭amber2

Just got an email from 48 saying they are aware of the roaming issue and have troubleshooting steps to follow but are working to resolve the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Any chance you could link to the page please, I didn't get that email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,575 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I tried 48 and gomo, both worked ok but I found reception in countryside poor plus roaming was iffy. Switched to postmobile a year ago and never looked back. Yes it's 15 a month but no roaming issues, great reception and reliable data speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,996 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

An extra GB on the roaming allowance for anyone on the 12.99 package. Looks like that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

12.99 plan includes...

200GB (fair use, not clear if it's a fixed cap or not).

5k SMS

5k minutes

10.99 plan still available with a college email address.

https://48.ie/legal/price-plan-details

Post edited by Ten Pin on

200GB for 12.99 is interesting as I went over my 100GB allowance for the first time this month, sim is in a mobile broadband router and I was watching a lot of Netflix and streaming football. It allows you to 'spot' 1GB from next months allowance and have a friend donate you 3GB, I did both of those but the extra 4GB wont be long in going and still have 10 days before it renews back to 100GB. The only option right now is to buy 1GB at 3 euro at a time, I might be wrong but I thought they had a better data add on than that before, something like 10GB for 5 euro?

I also got the same email about their data roaming problem. Good to see they are addressing it as a known problem now. Would be good if others could report back if their fix on the community forums actually works to get roaming set up when abroad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement