Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

China Eastern Airlines Crash

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Layman speculation of course, but would changes have been made in China after German Wings flight 9525.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Is intentional destruction a possibility that needs serious consideration?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

It seems that the aircraft climbed very briefly before its final plummet, would that not suggest a struggle with the aircraft? Or if intentional was there a struggle between 2 pilots. Seems far fetched at that speed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I'm just an armchair detective like the rest of ye but could it have been intentional? Suicidal pilot perhaps. I really do hope not but it looks like it went into the ground like a dart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭enricoh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭irishgeo

If thats real, could it be a rear bulkhead failure and a explosive decompression and it ripped the tail off and more than likely all the hydraulics.

At freefall speeds would a black box survive such a crash?

The newest standard is but no guarantee this black box was built to that standard

Currently, EUROCAE specifies that a recorder must be able to withstand an acceleration of 3400 g (33 km/s2) for 6.5 milliseconds. This is roughly equivalent to an impact velocity of 270 knots (310 mph; 500 km/h) and a deceleration or crushing distance of 45 cm (18 in).[43] Additionally, there are requirements for penetration resistance, static crush, high and low temperature fires, deep sea pressure, sea water immersion, and fluid immersion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

I think it's fake though I could be wrong, this close up still seems far clearer than the video, plus the livery does not appear to match the special peacock livery worn by B-1791.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

It’s a screengrab from an air crash investigation episode about silkair 185

• No doubt the airframe did actually disintegrate after the upset. But the question is if there was an initial failure of part of it in the first place to cause the upset from fatigue/maintenance issue, lithium ion battery fire, any other explosive, a very unusual weather phenomenon, impact with flying object, human error or deliberate human action.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,886 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It sure looks like deliberate action to me.

You'd be hard pressed to find a mechanical failure, which on its own could cause an aircraft to spear at 90 degrees into terrain at what looks to be supersonic speed.

I'd be fairly satisfied that the image capture of the separated right wing was due to the stresses on the airframe from exceeding all tolerances in that dive.

If you had a broken rudder or elevator, or damage to any one or set of control surfaces and a flight crew was trying to fight that using the other surfaces, you'd see the sort of crash that has been documented many times of a semi-inversion or a flat stall or flat spin or a spiral dive at some catastrophic angle, but never a vertical near-supersonic dart. That's almost impossible to do on purpose, let alone to result from mechanical failure.

The nearest equivalent I can think of is United 93, where the hijackers forced the 757 at the ground when the passenger revolt got close to accessing the cockpit and even that plane ended up in an inverted reflex angle dive, not a vertical drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Personally I'm going to wait for the official investigation before speculating.

(Apropos of nothing, it's probably just as well this wasn't a MAX. Statistically one will probably be lost eventually, but I'm not at all sure the world is ready for another one of those just yet.)

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A shocking loss of life. Wasn't an old plane either.

I don't think speculating on the cause is of any benefit to anyone, so I won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I'm no expert, but is it not the case that modern planes have systems precisely to prevent someone just tipping it into the ground? And that's why the GermanWings crash pilot had a slow controlled descent into the mountain - the plane wouldn't let him simply stick it straight down?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

There are many potential causes before you get to deliberate action.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,918 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If something as significant as part of a wing was missing, I'd be wondering if it hit something, like a military drone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Apparently one of the black boxes has been found

• If a significant part of the tail section separated, a plunge like that could be expected.

The final event occurred just before the top of the descent. Presumably the pilots were making control/computer inputs about this stage. It was indicated the aircraft ascended briefly before the event; could a weakened tail empennage be flexing at the point when descent inputs were initiated, causing the brief climb? Then the whole se toon snap completely with a resulting plunge?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,285 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That was an Airbus.

The 737 was designed in the 1960s, some major components are carried over from the 707 which was designed in the 1950s. Engines, electronics etc. have been upgraded along the way, but the basic airframe and controls are as designed in 1965.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Board Walker

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Yes they are, I myself have logged over 100 hours on flightradar.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The NTSB are often involved in foreign crashes, but would they be looking to get involved in this? Especially as it's a Boeing. I'm not sure how open Chinese authorities would be to that or just make them wait for their report.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

Good question, surely Boeing aswell have a right to hear/see the black box data?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,918 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I would be very surprised if total cooperation in air accident investigations isn't written into the sale contract for all civilian Boeing planes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Yes, as the airframe was manufactured in the US, the NTSB will be involved.

The NTSB are entitled under ICAO rules to participate in any investigation involving a US-registered, manufactured, or engined, aircraft. Of course these rules are not always observed by certain countries.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

The airframe and control surfaces are not as designed in 1965.

There has been several generational changes in materials, engineering of airframe structure, shaping of aerodynamic and control surfaces etc, to accommodate fuel capacity changes, advancements in avionics, electronics, hydraulics and flight control.

Almost new planes rolled out from 1981-84, 1993-97, with a partial redevelopment under the Max programme, 2011-date.

Advertisement