Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grazing 2022

• 01-01-2022 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭

Just in from a walk around the fields. I have most of the cattle in since November 5 but left 20 lighter lads out which are still on beet tops. I usually let the store lambs graze every bit of grass but with so much growth they are still on silage ground so I won't let them run over the grazing ground this time. I actually saw a few yellow flowers out but I don't know what they are. Hardly dandelions? Serious growth out at the minute. How are other lad's fields looking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Biscuitus

More grass than I had in some of the weeks during the summer. I only finished housing 2 weeks ago and I'm looking forward to an early turn out. As long as January and February aren't too wet then I should get most stock out. I've a mountain of silage too so I'll have enough left over that I won't need to put out that much fertiliser and can graze some paddocks that would have gone for silage.

BIG change from last year. I couldn't get stock out in April cause the fields had turned into lakes and I had to buy in fodder near the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,218 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Grass to kick, sheep working through paddocks for last 2 months been a big help.

Big burst of growth the last week again.

Hopefully a few dry weeks In January and get the heaviest grazed.

Passed a few bunches of cattle today in North Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Dunedin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Base price

It could and probably will.

I've seven heifer calves (Feb/Mar born) still out on about twelve acres and the grass is still growing. They are getting 0.5kg of maize meal with about a kg of rolled oats. Our old pet cow Daisy is on a four acre field along with her three month old bull calf and they have plenty of grass although I've giving her a few forkfuls of hay and a bucket of rolled oats every night. I've a neighbour that has a couple of yearling/year and a half old continental heifers rotational grazing one acre paddocks and the paddocks are greening up within days of her moving them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

All cover is doing well, there was a few fields that i could'nt graze before housing because they would plough it, with the price of fert the way it is i'll be grazing the silage ground this year before taking it up, going for 1st cut by mid May is out this year, i plan to move cattle more often and keep grass grazed tight, light dashes of slurry to substitute for fertilizer.

As i do every year i plan to turnout cattle 1st week in May, anything before that is a welcome bonus.

That's the plan anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭893bet

Similar heavy land here. With a similar plan. Never graze silage ground here as it’s usually too wet. Hoping to graze this year and then get slurry on for a bulky first cut mid June.

But it’s all about the weather. Plans be damned.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Still have a few stragglers out. I don't think they'll see the inside of a shed this winter as it is so mild

I had everyplace grazed nice and tight. I had a walk of the land yesterday after the New years Turkey and couldn't believe the amount of grass growth. Places are rich green

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭memorystick

There’s as many threads as grass!

Last of the cattle let out today bar 6 cows left to calf. I had some morning with Calves flying through the electric fence. I had a pair of strong calves that took off straight into the neighbours and nothing could get the fuckers back out so I left them and just checked a while ago and they had made there own way back tf.

Short winter for me and I can save the rest of the feeding for next winter. I've no fertilizer out but there is still some amount of growth these days even without it. Any other year and I could be dusting the fields with a light shake, it'd would put the grass out over the walls. But what can you do with the year that's in it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

You must be lowly stocked or have super land?

Haven't spread any bagged n, p or k yet here either. The weanling heifers are out full time and cows still day only.

Yesterday and today are really driving on growth. At foliar yesterday without any N included and even today you'd see where you were. At dirty water and dairy washings spreading today. Back at foliar again tomorrow to get it all kicking off proper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

What’s in the foliar Say?

seaweed extract mix, or a homegrown concoction?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Seaweed, fulvic, molasses. Then that special water.

Humic acid will be added to the mix in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

How is grass growth with you currently? Nothing worthwhile happening up here yet. So ours will be in until mid April at earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Packrat

I'd love to know what climate these lads with loads of grass are living in....

Today was the first day I saw growth since January.

Fields are green but nothing in them.

Im in the extreme southwest but those horrible easterly winds over the last couple of weeks were too cold for anything to grow.

Before that we were flooded out of it with rain which also doesn't allow growth.

Hungry enough spring down here unless ground is closed since October or November.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Letting them out bit by bit but the start of April is looking very cold so they’ll be no burst of growth anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Good loser

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭memorystick

Nothing out yet but hoping to at the weekend. Is it safe to inject bullocks with copper on the morning of turnout or do lads wait a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Ground temperature here is nine degrees, and with that sunshine grass has to grow.

My father used to say that grass won't grow until the daffodil wilts , so I see them dying back now this morning.

Nitrogen out ten days here and a paddock that I took the ewes off two days ago is visibly growing, so all good.......for now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Same as that here. I’m hearing all winter about the mighty grass growth. Fields are green but feck all on them and I’m in good ground and stripped all winter.

cows and calves out, weanlings out and 2 year old bullocks let out to wbc today with round feeder. Will keep them there for a a week anyways to let the grass come on a bit and hopefully it’ll stay ahead of them then. For a while anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

last of the cattle weighted,copper bolused and let out today,serious weather for March in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Ah maybe a bit yesterday but a cold east wind for the last week too. Wouldn’t call it growthy weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,218 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Glad of the hot days, growth picking up a bit, might be wanted in April.

We have a blocking high again over Ireland. This dry weather could hold for a long time yet. There's growth alright, some fields better than others. The smaller more sheltered ones are best, anything exposed wouldn't be as good. I noticed the poorer ground is really struggling without fertilizer, and could be an issue on farms yet

Thats always the way with small sheltered gairdíns - they grow at double the pace of a bigger colder field.

With or without fertilizer.

I'm going with nothing but granlime this year and I'll report back.

Nothing only a colour yet on the fields I'll have sheep lambing in around The 15th. That has happened before other years even with fertilizer spread anything from Feb 25th to Paddy's Day. The length of the day beats it in the end and it always grows.

I'm not worried yet but if I had gone for lambing 20th March onwards like other years I'd be in **** street now.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭k mac

Would the gran lime improve growth immediately this year, i thought it was more a long term improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Granular should be noticeable if ground is sour.

But no point spreading lime if ground isn't in need of it, its not an instant magic potion.

Granlime will work almost immediately. The little prills are composed of very fine dust and once melted it's almost all available to the grass.

Ground lime contains bigger and smaller particles and the bigger ones take years to break down in the soil if ever.

That's why ground lime works for up to 5 years.

How much a ton for Granlime? last time I checked it was heading for €200.

I find Granlime works well on heavy muddy land (brown soil)

If you have land that always was well fertilized or got plenty Slurry then Granlime will release locked up fertilizer that has remained in the soil

I found it useless on boggy ground, -> it worked but not as well as other land type and needed more to make a difference

You need a bit of Moisture with granlime, I seen it sitting on the ground for the whole summer during a dry spell so imho get it out before mid May

Biggest negative for me is it makes the skin on the soil very soft, it'll make the top 6 inchs very fluffy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭DBK1

I was quoted €205 a ton on Wednesday for it. Soils samples came back Thursday at 6.4 so it’s not needed thankfully, one less expense.

• Advertisement

Still a cheap alternative to fertilizer if the ground is rich. idk how it would perform on sandy soils or soils with a higher ph

Advertisement