Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No excuse for illegal parking, the law is the law

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The clubs in question should have a reserved spot for the ref before each game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

probably been doing it weekly for years and just happened to get pinged this time due to the accident in the vicinity requiring AGS to attend. Pretty arrogant fella by the sounds of things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

50€ fine. I’d say he’s gutted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,152 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd question the way the thread title is phrased - it suggests this is an emerging trend, but it's only a single incident.

i wonder if the ref had asked about parking and someone from the club told him 'sure park on the grass there, you'll be fine'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The guards constantly turn a blind eye to illegal parking during GAA events. Anytime there is a match on, the footpaths near me are completely blocked by ignorant fcukers abandoning their cars. I've see people having to walk out onto the road with a pram because the footpaths have been rendered impassable and never a ticket issued that I have seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭whippet

GAA parking and Church parking are a scourge around my way. The church is probably worse as it is lines of cars parked up on double yellows, footpaths and on junctions. It goes on for most of Sunday. There is a car park about 3 mins walk from the church but for some reason it tends to be half full while the roads and footpaths are blocked. I've never once seen a guard do anything about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

so he goes to court and wastes the courts time and ends up with the same penalty anyway? what a joke.

Fair point about the title, edited though I struggled to think of alternative phrasing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Jay

Sus

Is there any situation regarding motorists acting the bollix where it isnt someone elses fault.

The bigger issue is that he couldnt take responsibility for the fact he had done something wrong. Going to court over it as if he is somehow the victim here. Ridiculous.

What is the purpose of this thread? Is it a means of determining if there is a reactionary element frequenting boards who don't agree with the issuing of fines for illegal parking? All I see is an isolated report of Traffic Law enforcement in action. I could report a similar case for a disabled parking space from another local paper just last week but it isn't any more noteworthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Its parking in general

GAA

Any other sports club

Church

School

Shops (bookies are the worst in my view)

Cafes

Whatever

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,152 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to be fair, it's a valid point. if a ref is turning up at a club - giving his or her own time for their benefit - they should accomodate them.

a friend of mine used to be a captain of a rugby club and was saying it was really irritating how badly some clubs would treat referees. but granted, that's a separate issue from the parking.

I can think of some venues where if there was a designated spot for the Referee to park their car that they'd be returning to a vandalized car or an angry mob but that is still no excuse for illegal parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭crinkley

its the same at a field used for underage training near me, theres a public car park 3 mins walk away but the parents will park as close as possible to the entrance, double parking as well, forcing you to sit behind them waiting for a gap on one of the main roads into the town. Their kids can run around a hurling field for an hours training but heaven forbid the carry their kit bag 3 mins up the road to a safe car park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,988 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Plenty of space to park on the pitch. Nobody would have a problem with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

From looking on Google Maps - there is loads of parking a few minutes walk away - an industrial estate a 2 minute walk away. The arrogance of the Referee from the report is astounding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ah but shur I wuz only in for de Loddo and a packet of smokes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Refs for the likes of U13 games are picked by the host club and in all likleihood he has been one of their chosen refs for many years. He would know the story in terms of parking!

to be fair, it's a valid point. if a ref is turning up at a club - giving his or her own time for their benefit - they should accomodate them.

Refs are normally paid, usually in cash by the host club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,434 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The ref for an U13 match would usually be a 16-18 year old in my experience, getting a few quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,750 ✭✭✭cgcsb

€50 for years of free parking is really good value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Is their 'payment' not technically expenses as such - fuel, lunch etc.

Pity AGS wouldn't show the same zeal to the triple parking which goes on daily outside Pearse Street Garda Station.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't know - possibly. However, my son used to ref underage games when he was between 15 and 17 and would get €20 a game. Either way, a payment was more than likely made to the ref under discussion so he could have paid to park!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Especially considering he is literally the one person in that entire match scenario that the game can't start without. He can afford to take the few minutes.

I've been reading that tedious Pearse Street Garda Station parking whine since the early 1980's. It isn't a problem, merely an opportunity for garda haters and miscellaneous begrudgers to vent a bit.

Have you ever been stuck in a line of busses waiting to get onto College Green, held up by the double-parked Garda cars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭thefallingman

well i work near the CCJ in Dublin, and the gards always park on the path opposite blocking wheelchair users and buggie pushers, i've never seen them get a ticket or clamp, but funnily enough other cars do. If this fella wasn't so smart in court i'd have had some sympathy for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Steady on - I'm no Garda hater!

But I do think that an illegally parked car outside a sports venue in a rural town probably causes less of an inconvenience that dozens of private cars parked illegally in a central location of our capital city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If it was just the one car then your comparison might make sense. Cars tend to be not so much parked as abandoned at events such as the one in the OP.

• Advertisement

I spent many a rush hour evening there, it was a huge bottleneck, waiting to get through onto College Green and Westmorland St, often with just one or two of the double-parked row just maybe 5-10cm too far out to allow the second lane of buses to get through. Very frustrating.

Advertisement