Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaking geothermal pipe

Options
  • 21-03-2022 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Hi There,

I was wondering if you could see the issues with this? I found a small leak of glycol from my geothermal loop, just behind the heat pump.

I think the glycol fill is supposed to last 10 years, but it would have trouble doing that I'm guessing even with a small leak.

Is there an issue with oxygen getting into the system too, interfering with the glycol?

Thanks for any information

It might be hard to spot the small puddle of green glycol in this picture but it is there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Presumably you'll get a pressure error on the HP at some point when the glycol level drops off.

But the majority of the piping in a geothermal system is double-walled plastic piping, so the risk of air doing damage to the loop is minimal unless it causes an air-lock - but air shouldn't be in it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭magnethead

Thanks, it's leaking just where the HP pipes (copper) connect to the ground loop as you can see in the picture. I guess it's an issue sealing the plastic and copper pipes together.

Advertisement