Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Driving in Waterford!

• 21-03-2022 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or has the behaviour of drivers gotten even worst lately? (Not that it was ever that great.) Don’t do much driving, mostly just around the city. But drivers have just become so aggressive when driving. It is a constant thing these days went I’m driving and cycling that people wait at stop signs, even when there is time to go, and wait till you get closer so they can drive out in front of you. Similarly, pedestrians go as slow possible when crossing the road even though again there is plenty of time to cross the road. People won’t stop at pedestrian, have seen children nearly run over a number of times because of the driver pretending to not see the red light. Why do people feel the need to be such assholes on the roads?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I cant say I noticed drivers around the city being worse than usual but I agree about the number of drivers who see a red light as optional, with particular black spots being the top of Bunkers Hill, the filter light turning right towards Lombard Street near the Tower, and the top of Yellow Road. I know they are short times but its not worth killing somebody just because you are annoyed or in a rush.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Standard of driving in Ireland is fairly shocking,

People putting getting somewhere 30sec faster above other people's lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Pedestrian crossing by the plaza/McLeary's on the quay is a significant black spot, nobody stops there to let you cross. Had a driver beep at me for crossing there the other day even though I was already on the crossing by the time he came off the roundabout at the post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

I found that crossing to be quite good regarding drivers stopping,

the crossings on ballybricken are another story though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The lights coming out of Ballybeg at the old Crystal site are a nightmare, always 2/3 vehicle's rush through after red. You wouldn't want to be quick off the mark when you get the green light going out the cork rd from town side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭blueflame

Truing right at the top of the Folly - the number of times drivers , and not just one, often two or three in a row, come through a red light is unreal - and they always tend to just keep looking straight ahead as if to say i don't see you, you cannot blame me.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Valhalla90

The Tramore road is a nightmare when caught behind someone daydreaming and going below the 80km.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

80 kph is the speed limit on it & it is regulary policed but I can understand to a point what you are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Yeah, the one at top of The Glen and Francis St is mildly terrifying.

• Advertisement

Saw two lads almost come to blows at the roundabout by the Golden Fry near Johns Park. First fellow was coming up from the Ring Road and turning right to go to St Johns Park, and he was in the center of the roundabout. Lad behind him also turning right and he was in the right hand side of the roundabout- he must have presumed the first lad was heading up the Folly. So the first lad was slowly heading into Johns Park and of course the second guy was hot on his tail, nearly crashed into him and blew him the horn. First guy stops car, rolls down the window and yells "Theres only one lane, you fcuking pr!ck" and the other fellow was shouting something back about being in the wrong lane, and there was some fist shaking, but it was all hot air in the end, as they both just drove on! I dont think a lot of people know that there arent two sections to that roundabout, and rightfully so given how tiny it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

It used to be 2 lanes there for years, but then they (quite rightly) changed it to one. You often see two cars queuing up at the junction there though. I'm surprised what you described doesn't happen more often.

People don't note road signs and assume every roundabout is the same. Roundabout outside the train station and 2 roundabouts on Tramore Rd (inner/outer ring roads) are prime examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Are you talking about cars failing to stop at a pedestrian crossing or people not letting you cross somewhere where there isn't a pedestrian crossing?

Always amused at the amount of people who are too lazy to walk a few yards to the right place to cross.

The pedestrian crossing was literally the first thing I said?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

altered roundabouts are a dangerous idea, the human brain is programmed to make assumptions about common situations, these type of roundabouts are not the norm, so many will default, thinking that all roundabouts have the same rules. im sure lanes are altered for various different safety reasons, but by doing so, we could be preventing some issues, but be simultaneously creating different issues....

I think it's 2 lanes coming out of the city direction (the florist side), which may complicate things.

I wish they knocked down the chipper and laundrette, and created a nicer wider area and proper safer non-oval roundabout there. Instead it'll be even more congested with more apartments being built in behind the Golden Fry.

Confirming the 2 lane option here

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Valhalla90

Anyone remember the time they put up traffic lights there? They were removed after a few weeks, the junction has always been a mess!

The road rage incident was from inner ring road side, only 1 lane into roundabout from that side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Yeah I think that's the only side which is still 2 lanes. The one coming down the Folly and the one going from the Ursaline side both used to be 2 lanes also, until a few years back.

It's a bit of a shitshow around there these days. I live nearby and I hate having to cross the road between the Florist and the Golden Fry, feels like I'm taking my life in my hands every time I do it. I also agree those new flats they're building behind the Golden Fry are just going to make things worse. Not sure how they got planning permission for them to be honest.

That whole area up by Centra must be a nightmare to live in. I notice people going to Centra park up outside the whole row of houses down from and across the road from the shop, then anyone going to the chipper park on the kerb just around the corner from the main door, laziness doesnt even begin to describe it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Pulled into filling station this morning to give the motor some sustenance, went to pay and couldn't get in the door, car left ticking over with the drivers door open, 3 or 4 kids fighting in the back, no driver to be seen, a few minutes later a glowing specimen of urban motherhood emerges with armfulls of crisp bags, chocolate bars and a coffee of course. Another 2 minutes while miss piggy adjusts the mirror, puts on the seatbelt, takes the required coffee sips, adjusted the mirror again and then roared out of the forecourt under half clutch and a heavy excellerator foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Roundabout at the top of Keane's Road is dicey. Traffic coming up the Yellow Road just breeze through and viewing angles from Keane's Road are piss-poor.

Counted 3 cars breeze through the lights at the bridge this morning after the light had turned red heading up Bridge street. Seems to be a common occurrence everywhere these days that red lights are optional for the first 5 seconds after they change.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Waterford26

Ppl are more agressive coz stuck in traffic more often. Few years back we had 4 lines on the Quay, almost zero one way streets..now its much worse and some drivers cant stand it.. my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

I get seriously annoyed at the Maryland junction. Often times I'd be waiting at the lights on Colbeck Street and then cars coming from Parnell Street blatantly ignore the yellow box, blocking cars on Colbeck Street from getting through the green light when it comes on. I got stuck there for two consecutive green lights a few weeks ago.

Yeah thats a killer, some people couldnt care less that they are sitting right in the middle of the pedestrian crossing either, just to gain a few more inches!

Ive also been caught by cars suddenly turning into spring garden alley from colbeck street, which i didnt even think you could do! Its a tight fit and the other day the car in front of me was indicating right which i presumed was Parnell Street when all of a sudden he swerved into that tiny alley which i wasnt expecting. Be careful people!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

As dangerous and all as it is, I'm pretty sure that turn onto Spring Garden Alley is the only way residents can access it when John St/Applemarket is closed to traffic. You're dead right though - it's an accident waiting to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

Never presume. Its a legal manoeuvre to turn right into Spring Garden Alley from there, and the OP indictated his intention to do so. What more do you require. IMO it is you that needs to be careful.

Advertisement