Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

parking on slats

• 21-03-2022 4:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

Normal slats, need to make a bit of room in another shed..

Would you leave a 10x6 tipper inside on slats when the cattle go out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Normal slats - do you mean singles? Single slats are mostly classed as cattle bearing only. Most gang slats are 4T and upwards.

We have left machinery on slats before, but they are fresh gang slats rated to 10T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Normal 15'6 slats approx 4-5 ft wide, out of mc'graths tulla (non tractor slats).... 12 years old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Gang slats are usually 1.2m (~4ft) wide. I looked on McGraths and they don't have any data stating what axle loading they quote for standard slats. I think that from purchasing recently cattle bearing are 800kg, standard are circa 4T, overlapping with tractor bearing which are between 4.5T - 7.5T and heavy duty are 10T.

So really, you could have anything there, but if they aren't tractor rated, then you would be at the lower end of the scale. Would you be able to get the trailer onto the slats without rear of tractor going on too?

TBH - 15'6 is a fair width of a slat and would be at the upper end of slat widths, so you might find that it is cattle bearing only. If any of the structural engineers on here can advise, I think that a static axle load over a period of days/weeks is a totally different set of calcs to that for a dynamic axle load.

Unless you can find the dept definition of Standard and Heavy Duty which they use here:

and see if it was in place 12 years ago. A bit of a faff I know, but I'm not sure any of us can advise on this unfortunately as the axle loading of the slats is not known.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Barron lad

Grant spec for standard slat states that they are "not fit for vehicular traffic". You should have no trouble reversing in a trailer on them, but I would not drive on them with the tractor, just in case because I can't say for sure how good mcgraths slats are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement