Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

concrete water troughs and fittings

Options
  • 16-04-2014 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

So im putting in a couple of water troughs, and they come with a a steel plate that sits on the side of the tank to hold the ballcock, two holes on the plate 1/2" and 3/4, only thing is the plate seems to keep the ballcock which came with trough to high,causing over flow,anyone have this problem or am i just missing the obvious solution, ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭visatorro

i never got concrete water trough with a plate. just a hole to put ballcock in. cant think of a reason it would be too high. maybe post a couple of pictures and someone might be able to advise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

oooge1 wrote: »
    So im putting in a couple of water troughs, and they come with a a steel plate that sits on the side of the tank to hold the ballcock, two holes on the plate 1/2" and 3/4, only thing is the plate seems to keep the ballcock which came with trough to high,causing over flow,anyone have this problem or am i just missing the obvious solution, ..

If there's room enough you can get a bigger ball for the end of the ballcock might help a bit, or even if its screwed into the last you can unscrew it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

Dealing with this problem at the moment.
    Handiest fix is just to put a bend in the arm of the ballcock
    Easier to do it before fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭oooge1

Dealing with this problem at the moment.
    Handiest fix is just to put a bend in the arm of the ballcock
    Easier to do it before fitting.

That idea just hit me during milking ! Going to try it tomorrow thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭oooge1

visatorro wrote: »
    i never got concrete water trough with a plate. just a hole to put ballcock in. cant think of a reason it would be too high. maybe post a couple of pictures and someone might be able to advise

Il try post a pic up tomorrow just to show you guys but bending the arm of the ball cock could be the answer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Careful not to snap it when you bend it, very easily done.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MFdaveIreland

Yep beat me to it, slight gradual bend on the arm , make sure not to snap it .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

Grab it with a vice grip (or something) and heat it over the fire or gas for a couple of minutes; when it gets hot enough it should be pliable enough to bend easily. Don't burn yourself or anyone around, and don't bend it the wrong way! Run the tap on it when done for safety's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

I always bend the brass arms by hand and never snapped one yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Also don't hold the ball when bending. Did this before and water leaked in where the ball screws on.

Those brass ball cocks are very flimsy so as suggested do it before fitting to trough and unscrew the ball and carefully bend the arm down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Hugh 2

Careful not to snap it when you bend it, very easily done.

I just hold both ends and bend the arm over my knee ( works a lot easier with long arm ballcocks)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Does anyone have a good high flow ball ock for bottom entry water trough.they either stick, or grit either locks them or keeps them open and leaking.dticking you arm into cold water these days is nt pleasant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Maybe that is how the water got into a ballcock here.. €400 extra added to water bill before it was discovered in the Spring. Funny how the water got into the ballcock, never managed to empty it out, tried shaking it - not even a drop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭cjpm

Use these.

They work well enough but you need the 6” blue floats to shut them off. At least they don’t get blocked with grit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

They are inclined to stick after a bit but the bigger ball helps with that.not great in murphy troughs with the concret surround

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭cjpm

I fitted a fancy Hansen diaphragm type last summer. A bit of grit stopped it shutting off and I ended up with a swamp around the trough before I spotted it.

The Rxp were a disaster with the 4” float but at least the 6” sorted that. We’ve a good few of them and never need to look at them from one year to the next.

Advertisement