Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Firewood

• 09-12-2019 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Any thoughts of Firewood this Winter..Hardwood/Softwood,Prices,Deliveries etc.I personally dont use Firewood instead I use a combination of Kindling and Briquettes from BNM...The Kindling can be expensive if you buy from a forecourt,shop etc.I have found a guy local to me that can provide 15kg of Kindling Sticks for 5 euro delivered That is a steal I feel.A bag of Kindling can last for weeks especially large bags.I guess everyone has their own preferences.Any thoughts on Firewood,Briquettes etc..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

On donedeal you will find ads for firewood by the trailer - probably between a half and a fifth of the price of briquettes, but the wood needs to be dry so stick with your briquettes this winter and in March / April order a couple of trailers and stack it for the summer. Most of the wood advertised as dry really isn't, so buy it and dry it yourself.

Hardwood will often take two years to dry properly, softwood one year. If you have an open fireplace then softwood isn't ideal, tends to spit and crack a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Fitter08

I totally agree with your point.For now I will stick no pun intended to combination of Kindling and BNM Briquettes..If anyone wants the contact for the cheap Kindling around Cork area PM me and I can pass on the info.
    I will go looking after Christmas for lengths of Ash to dry and cut for 2 years down the road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭Glebee

Some body gave me two bags of kiln dried Bord Na Mona fire logs before for Christmas, just left thim in the shed as had no immediate need for them. Opened them this morning to find moss still on some of the cut logs..... Put the moistiure meter on and gave reading of ove 50 per cent moisture. How the fcuk can Bord na Mona sell these as Kiln dried as still have moss growing on them or am I missing something?????

Not good enough by BNM, personally I think the combination of Kindling and Briquettes is the best,timber can be hit and miss sometimes.I am buying 15kg of Dried Kindling for 5 euro delivered hard to beat that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Do you think briquettes give out good heat?

• Advertisement

Briquettes are great and I use them mixed with timber below 20% dryness. Burning wet timber is just a waste of time, money and effort.

True wet timber is useless

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭slystallone

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭slystallone

• Advertisement
Advertisement