Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting out a shed

Options
  • 19-03-2022 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi guys this could be a long post but here goes.. a few years ago a neighbour called to me asking would I have a shed for a guy he knew wanted to park a digger in over winter etc. He told me at the time that he could pay rent or do a bit of work for me in return, at the time I thought nothing more of it. I said maybe you could help out on the farm driving my track machine etc. That was a fine. So the time went on and on and he was doing a bit here and there with my machine coming and going when he pleased, this eventually led to an argument after argument so he came up with the idea would I accept rent from him and how would 50 euro a month sound? I told him it was an insult blah blah it went on for a while. In the end he agreed to 50 a week. He has since taken over other adjoining sheds and brought in firewood logs piles all over the place, he's basically taken over and when I asked him to leave he said he has paid rent for the month and he keeps paying never on time allways late and sporadic like. I'm afraid to approach him because he can be threatening ( if anyone touches his stuff they'll be sorry etc). So it's been a few months now with no words spoken where do I go??????? Living up north of the counrty, I've spoken to a solicitor but I'm unsure as what road to take any advise much appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Where is the neighbour that was the original middle man now?

What did the solicitor say?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

I've a polishad renting a shed off me and he always pays eventually but it's a feckin pain always chasing him and always some excuse and bull, but it dose come, tbh herself said the money small and it's not worth the Hassel and wants them gone, there be different lads calling at all hours of the day evening driving my dogs mad , I'm sick if the lads so going using inflation and rising the price, I just want rid now and I'll cut off the power to the shed it's separate bill so will be a bill less,

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cat320

I'm in the same boat as you, apparently its not that easy to turf them out they have rights . That's why I went on here to see if anyone else had the same bother..

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cat320

Oh he doesn't give a shite he's still around the area. I might keep the solicitor stuff close to my chest though in case he spots my post, I'm not sure but he might..

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Inflation a great excuse at the moment to rise the rent though, I'm meeting my man next week, owes me 14 months at this stage, he can like it or lump it, he promice me money every Friday a d never happened, not easy dealing with lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Ye would want to man up. Being a landlord is not easy and I'll can say from experience if you are soft or give an inch you'll get walked all over. Make it your business to meet him, have a witness with you and tell him he has till the end of the week to vacate the sheds, he had no business using the other sheds and is now out. If he makes any threats to you in front of your witness so much the best as now you have him for assault. Go straight to the Guards if that happens, a man under charge of assault is more likely to go quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Never a truer word spoken. Give an inch as a landlord and the bastards will put down roots. The last lot I had in my house, I told them that I was renting the whole house out. Wouldn’t pay rent, not even on time. I am owner/occupier, still had the neck not to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭enricoh

I was going to convert a couple of sheds but it's too pricey to rewire, roller shutters etc at the minute for me.

I was told by a fairly clued in lad to have it all above board, money wired in every month n pay tax on it. You can throw them out handy enough then.

A neighbour has a Lithuanian crowd in a outfarm shed doing cars, cops raided it recently for stolen cars getting dismantled . Place is a bombsite with crap everywhere. I'd be extremely selective about who I'd let in.

I'd be turfing yer man out op, the longer you leave it the more liberties he'll take

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Renting out sheds and the like to small time fellas in verbal deals is a fools errant. You'll never get what rent was agreed and it'll always be late and always bullsh!t stories and excuses. And when they eventually leave, they leave a load of rubbish and scrap behind and pinch any fixtured of value.

At that end of the market , that is the type of tosser you are dealing with.

I'd rather leave a shed empty that rent it out to a prick.

I bet the only reason the neighbour asked for you to rent him a shed is because he wanted to offload the bastard on to you.

Advertise his digger on done deal and tell him that you're going to take the rent arrears out of the sale proceeds of the digger and he can have whatever is left.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

I presume it is a word of mouth agreement and there is no written lease. If so I would imagine the renter has very little rights. There is a big difference between renting a dwelling and renting a shed. I would ask your solicitor to write up a notice of eviction and send it by registered post. Get them to include something to the effect of any belongings left in buildings after that date will belong to you. The minute the person is overdue on rent, put a big chain on the yard gate and block the entrance so gate can't be driven in, otherwise they will pay no heed to you.

Your solicitor is the best person to get advice from, not the internet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement